Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1978 242GT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:25 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

^^^ That's a '78

^^^ that's a '79 stripe on a '78. It might actually be the "incorrect" Volvo accessory stripe, too, based on the thickness of the leading edge (notice that it doesn't taper to a point like the others do?)

^^^ '80

notice that the part that climbs up the trunk gets thicker as the years progress?

I've judged Mopar shows for a decade and have never noticed metallic in the orange. Then again, I thought there was no Hemi Orange, and my research just taught me that I'm wrong. Hemi Orange and Tor Red are different colours than Go Mango and Vitamin C, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:48 pm 
First volvo in outer space

This pic of a 78 is from the ebay site of the guy who makes the GT stripes, as you noted the black stripe gets wider as the years progress.

From the way he describes the 78-80 models on is site it appears that he is making the kits specific to the MY, the pics of different cars show that he is reproducing them correctly as well.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

That's really interesting about the stripes. :mrgreen: Personally, I prefer the '79.

I never noticed but really like the black trim around the rear lights, too... :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm 

Oh, I'm diggin the '80 stripe. I may be re-thinking my stripe delete. I think I was laying it on too wide at the rear of the main stripe (too much taper - too wide at the back) - rethinking =D> .

Last kick at the metalic issue - you can't see it Matt - you'd have to get really close to even notice there was any there (and if no one said anything you wouldn't know). It just shows off the body lines a little more than it would if it was straight.

I'll take a shot of the test panel tomorrow and post it in my own thread and we can start the debate over there :lol: . Poll?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:40 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

122_Canuck wrote:
Oh, I'm diggin the '80 stripe. I may be re-thinking my stripe delete. I think I was laying it on too wide at the rear of the main stripe (too much taper - too wide at the back) - rethinking =D> .

Last kick at the metalic issue - you can't see it Matt - you'd have to get really close to even notice there was any there (and if no one said anything you wouldn't know). It just shows off the body lines a little more than it would if it was straight.

I'll take a shot of the test panel tomorrow and post it in my own thread and we can start the debate over there :lol: . Poll?

Your 242 isn't a GT, or is it? If not, Volvo UK offered an accessory stripe similar to the GT stripe except it only ran the length of the car, above the trim (didn't run up onto the trunk). It was available in silver or 'teak'. It looked quite 'period' sporty with the right mods. I was considering adding it to mine but silver is just a boring colour to do anything on, in my opinion. At least it's a 'genuine' Volvo stripe. I'll get you a picture from the brochure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:08 am 

Craig's is an '81...a GLT...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 am 

Hey, Jim. Notice how much lower the reproduction stripe sits on the body than the OE '78 stripe, and the horizontal bit is broader too. I must say, I like it better and most people wouldn't notice. What I'm not crazy about with the repro stripe is that square corner where it turns up, rather than the inside fillet on the OE ones (though the '80 appears pretty square, now that I look at it).

I dig the '80 as well, though the car is the least interesting compared to the '78 and '79. Nothing that couldn't (or wouldn't) get changed by me.

Also, Jim, you'd asked me what I meant by "restored": I don't mean trailer queen, unless that's what you're looking for. I would probably optimize the car with accessories (poly bushings, 23/23 sways, '78 & '79 chassis braces, the heavy '79 front springs and wagon rear springs, both trimmed for height, and Bilsteins) just like nearly all GTs eventually end up, but I wouldn't turbo it. Just make it a nice driver - the B21F will move it along the highway very nicely and though it won't be a rocketship in the passing lane, it would still be fine. I'd probably build a high revving, high compression, DCOE carb'd, 2.3 for it myself, but I'm a freak.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:46 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Hey, Jim. Notice how much lower the reproduction stripe sits on the body than the OE '78 stripe, and the horizontal bit is broader too. I must say, I like it better and most people wouldn't notice. What I'm not crazy about with the repro stripe is that square corner where it turns up, rather than the inside fillet on the OE ones (though the '80 appears pretty square, now that I look at it).

I dig the '80 as well, though the car is the least interesting compared to the '78 and '79. Nothing that couldn't (or wouldn't) get changed by me.

Also, Jim, you'd asked me what I meant by "restored": I don't mean trailer queen, unless that's what you're looking for. I would probably optimize the car with accessories (poly bushings, 23/23 sways, '78 & '79 chassis braces, the heavy '79 front springs and wagon rear springs, both trimmed for height, and Bilsteins) just like nearly all GTs eventually end up, but I wouldn't turbo it. Just make it a nice driver - the B21F will move it along the highway very nicely and though it won't be a rocketship in the passing lane, it would still be fine. I'd probably build a high revving, high compression, DCOE carb'd, 2.3 for it myself, but I'm a freak.

I guess one question I would have is that there is no guarantee that all of the pics we have posted are factory original and have not been re-striped, specifically the 78's as you pointed out how the one car the stripes hug the black side trim where the other car is raised above it. Which car is the factory original? And yeah I totally agree that the repro strip is wrong with the way it turns a 90, should be swept up which looks much better and obviously original.

Your description of "restored" nails it to a T for me, modified for driveability in a way easily put back to bone stock in the name of preserving the original status of the car. I am too looking forward to driving this car to ever make it a trailer queen and have always thought that cars are meant to be driven.

122_Canuck wrote:

I'm up for a poll. :mrgreen: Here's another couple of random thoughts, if you're going with the steel blue you had mentioned how about a "GT" look contrasting stripe, say dark grey maybe even black as the main with a yellow or white small stripe? Or... paint it Ocean Race blue with a GT stripe in yellow for the main and white for the secondary, would have a very Swedish flag flavor to it? Maybe even the nerds and the soccer moms would get it too in OR blue?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 am 

woodenshoes wrote:

I'm up for a poll. :mrgreen: Here's another couple of random thoughts, if you're going with the steel blue you had mentioned how about a "GT" look contrasting stripe, say dark grey maybe even black as the main with a yellow or white small stripe? Or... paint it Ocean Race blue with a GT stripe in yellow for the main and white for the secondary, would have a very Swedish flag flavor to it? Maybe even the nerds and the soccer moms would get it too in OR blue?

You've got to think sleek, if that is a word I can apply to the basic layout of a 240. That's what I'm going for - with the Tethys and sitting relatively low (compared to stock) and with the flat hood the car should look as slick as a 240 can look. I've decided to remove the...[the rest is back in my thread]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 pm 

Looking at the condition of the '78 and '80 stripes, I would say that neither of them were touched up post-factory. I'd say that they're original.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:01 pm 

2009... OMFG!!! :oops: :oops:

Moved this thread to the Build Thread forum because...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:34 pm 

....because what????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
....because what????

It's like when a new store/restaurant or whatever is opening and all they say is "Coming Soon"... And everyone is like what's coming soon??

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 pm 

Exactly!!! So???

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:01 am 

volvoshredder wrote:
Exactly!!! So???

:mrgreen:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next