Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 15   [ 219 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project YROG, AKA The Yellow Rocketship of Glory
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:58 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

It's tomorrow, what's going on, is it alive?!!??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:53 pm 

Negative. :oops: It's mighty close though. Routed the 4 prong plug and the coil signal from the passenger footwell, and did the vacuum line for the boost gauge and the CBV. Got the fuel pump relay in. Also started removing some of the K-jet stuff from under the dash. Tidied up the garage as it was a mess. Hopefully soon....

I'm a little unclear though, with LH cars, did the single fuel pump relay trigger both pumps? I forget how this works now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:56 am 

One FPR is all that they have - just plug it in. I'm trying to recall what I did with the K-jet side of things. Here are some of the shots I promised.

Here's the computers - note that the ignition box has the connector down, ECU is up.

Bracket attached to under dash pad thingy.

On this one, you can see the old FPR (black plug) and I've removed the main wire for the pumps from the plug (yellow/red stripe) and patched a wire into the new 9 pin plug in the new harness (with other needed wires for LH 2.4). This I think is located on that 4 pin connector inside the car that goes into the harness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 am 

Yes, I think you're right. I did wire up a new larger red/yellow wire that's going to the fuse panel. So 2.4 has a 9 pin (which I see in your first pic) plug in the passenger footwell, but 2.2 has a four pin? I'll be sure to disconnect the K-jet relay then.

Ahhhh...I see what you did with your bracket. Very nice.

What did you do with the big K-jet plug for the ECU that routes to the passenger footwell? Just disconnect it? Or did you remove it entirely? I pulled mine across the dash, but the wires end up going into the main dash harness. I am considering cutting the loom open to remove the wires individually.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:05 pm 

My version of K-Jet had no computer of any sort. So there was nothing to remove. You could certainly cut the loom if you know what you're looking for from the diagram. What are the other wires in that plug?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 am 

Right. Not sure to be honest. There's two six prong connectors right next to the K-jet computer plug that would have sat right in the passenger footwell. I don't recall what they do, or if I even had them plugged in before. And I can't seem to find any other info. Further along its a firewall grommet and the 02 connection. Definitely can delete that, as well as the K-jet plug wires, but just not too sure about the other two connectors wires.

Had a productive night, even though not much was accomplished per-se. Did a lot of reading of wiring diagrams, and tracing wires. Began to modify the loom to connect the gauges at the back of the R-sport cluster, as well as the boost gauge. I found it very interesting that the factory install guide for the R-sport cluster specifically says do not connect the black wire to the oil pressure sending unit. Strange I thought. But sure enough, on the back of the gauge cluster, at the full moon connection, the black wire connection lacks a pin. I guess they assume you don't need the warning light, as you now have a oil pressure gauge. Haha!

Biggest question of the night comes from the half-moon connection at the cluster. Position 3 at that connection is a blue wire that connects to the back of the separate factory boost gauge. On earlier cars (and I assume non-turbo cars), that wire is black, but I have no idea where it goes. Why would there be a wire going from the boost gauge to the main instrument cluster? I checked the factory boost gauge, and sure enough, there's the connection, with the #3 next to it. My boost gauge won't have that connection, so I need to see if I can delete the blue wire, and if so, what the black wire does on non-turbo cars. Strange.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:05 am 

The factory boost gauge sends a signal back to the dash to light up a warning light above 12 psi or so. That may be that wire.

The passenger side plug on B21FT cars operated the idle controller. It connected to the closed throttle switch, the idle controller, the two temp sensors low on the block, and obviously the idle controller valve. I can't remember if the O2 sensor wire was part of that harness or not, but it didn't go to that computer.

If you still have the computer & plug and equipment in good shape, I'll take it? I only want the idle control parts, not the temp or throttle switch bidness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 am 

Ahhhhh, is that so? I had no idea there was that warning light! Thanks Matt! That explains everything. I'll replace the blue wire with the original black...assuming its just a ground for the cluster.

Good to know Matt. Yup, still got the computer and all the associated bits. I'll put them aside for you. Any idea what the two six prong plugs are next to the big computer plug? One is green and one is black.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm 

Aren't those two plugs the plugs that plug into the idle control computer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:15 pm 

No. Are we talking about the same thing? The big black box that mounts in the passenger footwell?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:06 pm 

There are two. The big one with the large single plug is the lambda computer, the small plastic one is the idle computer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 am 

Ahhhhhh....I had completely forgotten about the second one. That solves that mystery. I'm sure I've got it somewhere. Will find it and put it aside for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 pm 

Made some more progress tonight with Craig's generous assistance. Wiring is basically done, so we started running electrical tests via the manual. So far the fuel pumps are not firing. That's the major one. Coolant temp sensor appears to be no good, and the throttle switch is either pooched or not adjusted properly. More testing tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:38 am 

Well, we came close tonight. Very close. Craig and I ran the rest of the electrical tests, got the pumps firing after figuring we had it connected to the wrong fuse, and then turned the key only to hear "click click click." Sigh. So either my battery is pooched or the starter is. Guess this has to wait another few days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:31 am 

In our defence...it was the harness instructions that we're error testing that indicated the wrong fuse. Greg still needs an LH coolant temp sender if anyone has one kicking around that is known good. Adjusted the TPS to get the switch setting corrected. I've got a battery on the charger ready to crank it over next week. It'll fire.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 15   [ 219 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next