Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 15   [ 219 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project YROG, AKA The Yellow Rocketship of Glory
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 am 
First volvo in outer space

=D>

YESSSS!! Congrats Greg, that has to feel GOOD.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Yes, we were pretty happy to hear it fire up. Greg still needs to figure out why the fuel pumps aren't triggering, and has to prove that all the sensors are getting the proper signals and such, and that it's not going to burst into flames, but I suspect a major roadblock has been removed and we should see this thing on the road pretty soon!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 am 

Thanks guys! Yep, it feels pretty good. It was an emotional moment for me. Lot's to sort out still, but I'm excited to at least know the thing runs. A big thanks to Matt and Craig for their help.

I picked up a few more parts for the car from Jim. Thanks Jim! So I've got the correct passenger kick panel and vent block off plate to mount the LH computer behind. I pulled the correct 240 LH computer mounting bracket from the car at the PYP, but it doesn't fit the turbo computer. I guess the N/A computer must be larger? The K-jet mount bracket fits okay so I may just end up using that with a bit of modification. I also spent some time reading wiring diagrams to get a better idea of what's going on in that engine bay, so hopefully I can sort the wiring out not too bad. More updates to come!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm 

Brief update: not much to report on as there's been lots else going on around here. But first is a pic of the compressor that made its way into my garage two weekends ago. WWWOOOOHOOOOO!!!

Pretty excited about it. I was hoping just for something small to start but this should do muuuuch better. It's older, but I spent a good amount of time cleaning and waxing it, and it looks to be in good shape. Now just need to change the oil, rewire the plug for my wall, drill some holes to bolt it to the concrete, and then start buying some tools for it, which may have to wait a while.....

One other thing I've done is come up with something better to mount my coil. I ended up using the stock b21ft unit, and then mounted the power stage to the front of it. Everything got cleaned and repainted, and nickel-plated hardware was used. Too bad it got brutalized trying to mount the coil inside. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 pm 

Made some "progress" this weekend. Earlier in the week, I installed a really nice late model fuse box, so that's done. Then I did a lot of studying of wiring diagrams. I finally found the correct b230ft diagrams I needed, as the b230 ones were more different than I realized. I figured out the locations of a couple of mystery wires, got those plugged in, and figured out more of how the system works. Tried firing it up, thinking I had the problem licked, but nope....now the car doesn't even turn over, and there's a smell of something burning. Sigh. Back to the diagrams I go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:07 pm 

Wow. Long time no update. Pretty sad really. But, I told myself I'd work on my project car when I felt like it, so here I am now.

And the big news is that this arrived!

'Tis the first edition Dave Barton +T 240 LH 2.2 w/EZK harness. I am very excited to be first to get this, and to check out how it works. My hope is that this will overcome a significant roadblock in getting my current harness organized and sorted. It wasn't going to be a pretty job, and this one has all the factory connectors and routing already sorted. In addition, Dave has included a very comprehensive writeup of each plug, wire colours and what everything does.

Craig is coming over sometime later this week. Fingers crossed it all lines up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:02 pm 

That's awesome, buddy! Hopefully this is the missing link in the YROG running again...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:11 pm 

Well, the missing link is really my motivation and my lack of brainpower in understanding automotive wiring. But this does help bypass both of those problems! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 pm 

Tough to get motivated when you have a fancy, comfy, awd thingy keeping your bum warm in the winter...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:34 pm 

Yeah, very true. I've gotten spoiled...manual windows??? Manual locks? What is this garbage? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 pm 

Well, wiring tonight began in earnest. Old harness was pulled in a matter of minutes with Craig and I working together. The new harness is now about half in, and that took about 15 minutes. :lol: Not bad so far.

Main question I have from the night is…it would appear Barton left off the provision to run ballasts for the injectors. Fair enough…as I have orange tops here in the garage, and Craig has like, 20 spare sets of injectors. But, we noticed there is no plug for the radio suppression relay. Why would this be? Is it only needed if the ballasts are present?

More work Saturday.

Edit: more work tonight. Car is now wired except for the alternator.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13 am 

As far as I know, the 240 didn't have an RSR. It's not really needed, and it is a trouble spot anyway.

The ballasts shouldn't make a difference regarding the RSR or not. The ballasts are there to reduce current through the system that would be higher on the turbo 740s down to the same level that it would be on the non-turbo cars, which have high impedance injectors. I'm not sure what effect the RSR has on anything, because all the current has to flow back through the fuel computer anyway. I'm assuming that the RSR helped suppress radio interference between the injectors and the sparkies, though I'm not an EE so I don't have a clue how.

Good job, weren't you dying to pull the trigger and see if it would run, even without the alternator? I guess Saturday you'll find out. I can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:02 am 

S - A - T - U - R - DAY - NIGHT... sing along. The YROG will rise like the Phoenix and be ready to stomp various muscle cars out of pure spite for their additional cylinders and polluting ways.

All kidding aside, it was so nice to work on an equally clean engine bay. Man, most of my car helping these days is on cars that are so disgustingly gunked up that you need a shower in varsol just to get sort of clean afterwards. I wore my clean work clothes last night...not a mark. Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 am 

Ahhh, okay. So something about the 740 setup required the RSR. I'm more than happy to ditch it...the less stuff in the engine bay the better. Glad to ditch the ballasts too as those things are UGLY.

Yup, I was starting to think about pulling the trigger last night!! It was tempting, but my battery needs a charge, and I didn't want to do it without Craig there, considering all the help he's given me. And also, in case something is awry and starts on fire....

Hahah, and yes, the engine bay is still rather clean. I was a little annoyed when I pulled the power stage wire under the strut tower and it was all dirty. GAH! My brand new clean harness is ruined! I still wish it was more tidy, especially all the extra wire that's there on the chassis side that doesn't need to be. Guess that's for down the road.

Very excited though. Didn't leave the garage until 11:30 and didn't fall asleep until 1:00. It feels good to work on this again. I'm just trying not to get overwhelmed with all the little things that need finishing. So here's the list to get the car driveable:

-connect alternator and oil pressure sender
-test harness to ensure continuity/everything works
-fix one injector connection (only fault I've found with the harness so far)
-turn key
-solve/build air box (Craig, did we ever consider cutting the 740 box down in height to make it fit?)
-mount LH computer on kick panel
-finish wiring for R-Sport cluster
-solve mounting for boost gauge (really want to build/buy 3 panel cluster for top of dash, but may have to settle for mounting in air vent or a-pillar for now)

Edit: here's what Dave had to say about the ballast.

"Hi Greg,
Yes. I decided to go with a 240 version, which never had an RSR. I've never quite figured out what is so important about it if they never designed it into the 240, since NA 700/900's got them with LH 2.4. Mostly I have viewed it as a future failure point anyway.

I had a discussion with some others about a ballast resistor and came to the conclusion that the extra wiring task involved was not worth the effort. I've been told that long ago a low impedence injector was preferred for high flow applications, but with new technology it's no longer an issue. However, if someone wanted such a thing bad enough, we would consider making it for an extra cost.

The ballast resistor has one wire that is linked to the RSR, so they are connected, but not interdependent. Examples seen here in the B230FT LH 2.2 and B230F LH 2.4 diagrams, which have the RSR:
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/volv ... agrams.pdf
Dave"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:38 am 

Another productive day in the garage. Just got in at 2:00 a.m. Craig was over this morning and we got some stuff tidied in the engine bay, and Craig lengthened a few wires for the coil so we could run them all behind the strut tower. Mostly struggled with getting enough wire to connect the injectors, which meant we routed them between the heater hose and the intake. That sucked. And Craig had to re-crimp an injector for the second time. But we mounted Craig's spare powder-coated fuel rail, and plugged in some better injectors from a whiteblock at the same time.

After Craig left I continued tidying things up, and then got working on mounting the fuel computer under the dash. Ended up modifying the 740 bracket to mount where the passenger crotch cooler used to be, as the 240 bracket is slightly larger to fit a N/A fuel computer. Then I found out the indent on the nose of the plug for the computer was in the wrong spot, so got out the dremmel and ground out a new slot. Guess that's why I paid less for this harness so I could figure this stuff out for Dave. Lined up the hood a bit and adjusted the latch so the hood now closes.

Lot's of little things left to do, but hopefully the major setbacks are over and we can turn it over tomorrow.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 15   [ 219 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next