Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little Low Red Wagon - Local Budget Build
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

scrape/heat/carefully

mix it all up and voila

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:39 pm 
Cams + Headers

lol I'm kinda scared to see what's under it :lol:

Mini shoot I did yesterday

Lost a hub cap :( Gotta find another...

Received a suspicious package today...

Being that these are the most expensive part of the entire build this car, I am now past the point of no return.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 pm 
Cams + Headers

Money Shot.

Well, back from the dead. I'm taking my first year heavy duty schooling finally so I've managed to find a lot of time to work on the car.

Painted the struts up with some graphite grey wheel paint. I chose this because powder coating wasn't going to happen and it's a lot more durable than regular paint. I've used it on wheels and after a year they still looked brilliant.

I bent some more steel line and went to work. With no way to really hide the lines for a clean look I decided making a roll cage inspired design around the shock tower.

Full lift (because I know everyone wants to see that right?)

Doesn't look that low because the front tires are currently hitting the liners. Down sizing tires slightly is in order, as well as removing the liners to make space.

Cross member pic: The huge U bolts the steering rack came with are definitely going to be trimmed ( and could also be hanging me up as well).

Beside my 11' WRX daily.

Spent most of today getting rid of these hideous shelves and replace them with a Snap On shelving unit as well as organize both my toolboxes and kind of hit the "reset" button so I can stay sane.

Which brings me to where I am at now.

Gotta go finish what I started now...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm 

NIce! I'm digging it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 pm 
Cams + Headers

Well I'm long over due for an update...busy with work and that means more money. More money means more car parts. So I finally purchased some heads. A set of Trickflow Twisted Wedge's to be exact. After all my research they seemed to be the best bang for buck. Excuse the ****ty pictures. All I had was my iphone 5. I bought a Nikon D7100 to take pictures of this project and forgot to bring it with me this time around. Much more to come!

Suspension is done:

Pulled the old motor out and started buying parts as quickly as possible.

Heads were the latest, I sent the block off and had it hot tanked, honed and had new cam bearings installed as well as ARP rod bolts and main stud kit.

With the heads I bought ARP head bolts. My "budget" built motor now has ARP bolts from the oil pan to the intake. Cost of the build this far is as follows

Engine used: $100
Machine shop bill: $260
Hardware (ARP bolt kits with thread lock, sealant etc.): ~$400
Heads:$1200
TrickFlow Stage 1 cam: $260
Gasket kit: $140
Engine bearings: $60

I assembled everything myself and sit at $2420 so far. A lot more than I was expecting that's for sure. Engine building is a slippery slope. The whole "well I'm in here I may as well do this..." really gets you. Glad I did it this way though. It's the best way. I cheaped out on the heads a little to keep costs down but they are by no means "cheap" in quality nor performance and will dance circles around GT40 cobra heads.

Wasn't really planning on dropping it in for awhile but I figured what the hell, I'm excited. Tossed the valve covers on to keep things clean. I have a set of Scorpion roller rockers on order yet and hardened push rods coming as well.

Clearance on either side will be okay I think. Tight on the driver side for sure.

It sits SO much lower than I had originally thought. This is just dandy as far as I'm concerned, if its an issue raising it will be easy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:57 pm 

Looks great...I'd spend some time inside the heads and smooth the machine porting out. A few minutes can make all the difference (according to David Vizard). Low is good on the engine front so long as the oil pan isn't dragging and the drive shaft isn't at some stupid angle. Looks like a set of block huggers would get the exhaust out of there unless you'd like to build some custom headers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 pm 

Wow! Very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm 
Cams + Headers

I thought about working the heads a little but I lose any type of warranty I had. I've also never done it before and would hate to mess things up haha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

You can run stock type fox body shorty header's,not the factory ones though,they are a little restrictive,(I believe Matt was running long tubes on his) ..no clearance issue's on mine (well nothing a bfh couldnt fix..mostly on the pass rail,you will see )
Gonna run injection or carb ? Looking good by the way, koodo's to you for perseverance. You shouldn't have to do much if anything to your heads, I know the AFR's I use came fairly well smoothed out, right out of the box. Might want to check the valve springs..depending on cam you choose, I have heard the springs can be weak the way they come.
don't be afraid of decent seat/open pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 pm 
Cams + Headers

Thanks for your input!

I planned on buying some aftermarket shorties and running an Edelbrock 600cmf carb. I've looked into the Quick fuel carbs with the Holly design but I'm leaning towards Edelbrock because they just seem simple to work with.

As far as the valve springs go they are designed to work with the cam I have and are good for up to .550 lift (IIRC). When I looked at E street heads the main downfall was the springs. These should handle the stage 1 cam just fine as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:04 am 

Those heads will flow way way more than a 302 will demand until you start spinning over 8000 RPM. No point in doing much to them at all for your application, especially not with a TF stage 1 cam.

I ran longtubes that I got from Ian, not sure what version of a Mustang they were for but they neither fit the 740 nor the 240 all that well. Cutting/Welding was needed.

I just offered my remaining SBF parts to my cousin, otherwise I'd offer you a set of pistons/rods and a TF stage 2 (Crane 224/232) cam I have a couple other bits too, nothing major anymore. I still have much of the Explorer front end bits and a couple of EFI parts, not many. I sold most of my V8 junk.

Volvord might still have some parts. I know he had a few different intake/carb combinations on his motors, some more suitable than others. Shoot him a PM if you want to check.

As always, looking good Carter!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:51 am 
Cams + Headers

Ill try pm him, thanks for the heads up!

(For anyone) Things I'm still after are:

Flywheel
Pulleys
Intake manifold
Carb
Bell housing bolts (probably find some grade 8's at Rona)
Speedo cable

Bought a set of these last night along with the trickflow hardened pushrods and can't wait to install everything.

I've already apologized to the girlfriend in advance for spending all my time on the car for the next few months but I need to get it on the road this year. She's cool with it and even offered to help if I needed it :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm 

I have a speedo cable for T5 to 240, and a driveshaft built for one too. The length of the driveshaft might not work with your car since I built my own mounts and the engine might be in a different position, but you're welcome to try it if you don't have a DS already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm 
Cams + Headers

How much do you want for the cable? Ill need that for sure...

I'd also take the driveshaft if all I have to do is change the length.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 pm 

$200 for the driveshaft and you get the cable. The driveshaft has slip yokes front and center, new U-joints and a new support bearing. $25 for the cable would suit me fine.

Let me dig this stuff out before I commit, though. It's been a while since I've seen any of it! ;-)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next