Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little Low Red Wagon - Local Budget Build
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Very nice attention to detail. =D>

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

One of the NHRA "things" was that it's not allowed to have the fuel pressure regulator mounted to the firewall. If we ever get a track again and if you ever care to bring it there, you might want to reroute it.

Then again, super tidy install, as usal.

Glad the driveshaft worked out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm 
Cams + Headers

Really? I've seen tons of installs in the same spot. Weird. Oh well, I don't plan on racing. They also don't allow air suspension so im screwed either way. Drag racing doesn't excite me haha. I'm more of a road course guy (not in this car obviously). Good to know though because my next project will be a track car so thanks for the heads up!

Here's a link to a start up video anyway.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i72/c ... 8ae981.mp4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 pm 

=D> Sweeet!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 pm 
Cams + Headers

Few updates so far. Been out of town working lots (glories of being a crane technician)

Installed a new coolant bottle and mounted the air compressor on a temp bracket that works (not pretty yet). My dad bought himself a brand new compressor and plasma cutter last week and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

New master cylinder install. Also tucked the wire harness up behind the booster so it's out of the way. Not the very limited space between the booster and valve cover. These are taller to accommodate the roller rockers and barely fit. Luckily when I start the engine and rev it it'll kick over to the other side.

Autometer makes some nice easy gauges that match the Volvo interior. There is nothing I hate more than seeing engine related gauges that do not suit the interior (5" + tach's with giant yellow and red lights, blue, purple bright lit gauges etc). These are part of the "Z" series IIRC.

The rad: Well...I hear a lot of guys use the Volvo rad but that wasn't sitting well with me for 3 reasons. Price, availability and cooling capabilities. I went with a thicker Griffin Thermo products rad and paid around $160 for it from Summit.

This was the only rad I could find that would fit perfectly width wise and height wise. I believe it was part # 1-25201-X or XS. Everything is perfect except the fact that the lower coolant fitting was angled and wouldn't work. It points directly into the power steering pump.

So! Time to get custom. I had a local guy cut it off and tig it back on and a different angle.

It clears but still no way of running power steering with the engine bracketry I have (Crown Vic, mustang is different). Eventually I'll move the accessories around but right now I need this thing to run and drive with or without power steering. The season is almost over. I located a manual rack locally that I'll pick up soon.

I have a 14" 2350 cfm electric fan I'll use to push air through it and see how that works. I'm in Canada so it doesn't get too hot here really. 30C* is about as hot as it ever gets and the car was not equipped with A/C so on those days I'll just use my DD wrx if I have an issue with sweating too much lol.

For now I'm using universal rad hoses that are ugly. They get the car moveable but getting some proper preformed hoses is in the plans.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/CDrPIsTs5jI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/CDrPIsTs5jI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 am 

Good job, Carter. You might consider using the later dual-diaphragm booster, which is a little deeper but considerably smaller in diameter. The only car I had with the booster like yours had a pedal feel that I prefer, so YMMV on the dual.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am 

Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 am 

Very nice, as always. Thanks for keeping this updated. =D>

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Very nice work as always. I have a feeling your pusher fan will be marginal at best.If you have to sit in traffic it may climb a bit. On the plus side you could modify the upper hood /rad support a bit and push the rad forward.this will give you fan options behind the rad. I have basically the same rad except 27" wide and with a little massaging managed to fit a Taurus fan behind it.This fan moves quite a bit of air, still runs awhile in traffic to keep cool. If I were doing it again
I would prolly go with the v6 contour fans...I put these on the 760 I had,they were a perfect fit on the rad,almost like they were made for it and they cooled a 350 no problem. nice thing with them is they are duals,so with some clever wiring you can have one come on first,and the other if needed. Yep,I know the Taurus one is a dual speed,but it is physically bigger than the contour's,which are smaller and lower in profile,and I was too lazy to wire both low and high
so the Taurus runs on high all the time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 am 
Cams + Headers

I'll see if I have issues and see about that. Thanks for the heads up! So far it hasn't gone over 180* idling in the driveway for 20 minutes. In the video the temp gauge reads high but its the Ford sending unit I have in there. I have a mechanical under the hood to make sure I know exactly what the engines running at.

First drive, no break downs! Some wide open throttle action, surprised me how hard it pulled not even tuned and over jetted (I live near the mountains in Canada). Very happy right now. My 3 year pipe dream is coming to a close. A sense of accomplishment is upon me and I'm sad the snow is just around the corner. Ah well...next year this thing is gonna be ripping.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYea54-lAs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpHB0kQZDk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:49 am 

^^^ WOW, that is cool!!! Good to see it rolling, nice work!!!

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:34 pm 

Vicious! I was confused at first hearing that sound coming from a 245....just not used to it! Totally sleeper! And then up it rises off the ground too! Totally trippy! Love it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 am 

Good job, man. After a little tuning and some exhaust, what's next?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 pm 
Cams + Headers

Tuning, exhaust, and then...more fine tuning I guess? I have new bushings for all the suspension, IPD torque rods and sway bars, maybe find a Tru Trac locking diff...paint the hood to match and install the front valence I have sitting in the garage. A whole bunch of little things. At least these little things won't take long to complete.

After that, take a good look at it and clean up anything else that might look a bit messy because...I got an invite from a crew in Lethbridge to have it at the World of Wheels this year. Hoping to have all the stuff done and hood painted for that but we'll see. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:49 am 

Looking good...sounds nasty. :mrgreen:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next