Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little Low Red Wagon - Local Budget Build
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Keeps the gum nice and soft and warm, too.

I do wish you and all others would stop giving people your money to advertise other people's products. Ken Block doesn't need your cash! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:16 pm 
Cams + Headers

DarrenK wrote:
Hey, do you want a piece of gum? Here, it's in the radio!

Believe it or not...the girls LOVE it lol

As for all the DC stickers, their going lol. I had them sitting around and had nothing to put them on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:03 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

shit thats awsome....

1979 Mercedes 300TD
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
1994 Honda Civic dx hatch
2015 Mazda CX-5
2020 Hyundai Elantra manual
1982 240 DL coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:04 am 
Cams + Headers

Well I'm due for an update.

Cut the rear springs to level it out a bit.

It's ghetto fabulous. Jk.

The next day I dodged a tornado and didn't receive ANY damage some how.

Covered my ugly brown tire cover. The other wall will also be plaid, I just haven't got it quite finished yet. I also took out the rear floor and I'm going to attempt to build a real hardwood floor.

I started on the gauge pod to hold my tank and bag pressure gauges.

I also picked up some nifty gauge hoods that looked a little retro to use as well:

Purchased a brand new York with dual belt pulley to make mounting the power steering pump a little easier.

Lines and fittings for the York

Painted the air tank and covered it in the duplicolor clear wheel coating which I'm hoping gives it a harder more durable surface.

Took the floor out and cleaned 29 years of dirt and gum, an discusting hair left from multiple animals, or maybe some really ugly kids.

Started on the air management install a bit too, nothing in the picture is tightened or aligned exactly perfect.

This will lay under the floor and won't be seen much. The red lines are for the air bag supply front and rear, the silver will be aux air supply for air tool hoses (I should be able to run an impact gun off of the York at full tilt), train horns, or anything really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am 
Cams + Headers

Thanks guys, I'm trying hard to push and get it done without half assing anything. I LOVE being able to have a DD and project car. When I bagged my Sonoma it was a DD so some nights if it got too late things got rushed so I could make it to work the next morning.

Not anymore. Having a separate project car means if I don't have something I need and the stores are all closed...oh well, tomorrow is ok, and I continue on with something else instead of getting hung up and getting frustrated.

I picked this up as I needed something more "parts friendly". 93 4x4 5 spd w/ 22RE. Installed HID's and some 31.5's. It came with a header already on it so that was also a nice bonus. Second to Volvo wagons, I do love my Toyota pick ups.

Anyway, enough about that.

Today I mounted my switches, got some nice feeling rocker switches and feel really quick to tap to help bring it to the ground nicely without just slamming it. I shouldn't have to worry because I'm running 3/8" line and the bags I'll end up using have a 1/4" port. It'll air up and down slow but I don't really want it to be hopping or anything gay. I wired in the pressure switch and relay for the A/C's clutch as well. Running the wires and air line was probably the most time consuming thing of all. Glad it's over lol. Everytime I removed something there was a mess. While the dash was apart I built a gauge pod too.

Started like this:

Ended up using parts from 3 different Volvo dashes to make it work lol

Air pressure for the front bags - Tank pressure - Rear bag pressure.

YUM

This **** was EVERYWHERE. Don't know what it is.

Switches

Well, when I bought the car it was intended to be a winter beater for $500. It wasn't until a few months after that I was sitting in the garage looking at it and thinking it would look pretty good on the ground. I then SOLD my GMC Sonoma that I had just finished bagging and 5.7L Vortec swapping. Upon the first look at the car i could see that it needed a power steering rack. What better time than before a 9 hour road trip to BC. And so I finally got around to doing it and it wasn't even that bad. Peanuts really.

Disgusting really. I couldn't stand looking at it in that state any longer. My passion for the Lolvo has risen to a new level. I find myself CONSTANTLY thinking about it, planning out where my air lines are going to go, what parts I'll need and what parts can be painted? and what color?

Obsessed? Yup. You betcha.

I haven't gotten around to doing the oil pan gasket yet. I'm still very unsure of what I will end up doing for a motor. I have a few pipe dreams that include ITB's. I'm quite a stranger to tuning though so I will most likely keep it a dirty hippie power plant for the time being.

Next I polished more of the steel air line. All it is, is plain 3/8" steel line that comes in a 25 ft roll (got mine at Napa for next to nothing like $13).

Next I straightened out a chunk and put it in the chuck of the drill and used a piece of scotch brite held against it. Then used Mothers metal polish. What you get is cheap stainless look-a-like lines. ;)

Before on the left, after on the right.

Then tackled the sub floor with fists of furry. Torqued down all the fittings (easier said that done with these guys), trimmed the manifold bracket and painted it red. Removed the hatch latch and took a wire wheel, scotch brite, and more metal polish to it.

Yuck.

Had to buy another manifold and the cheapest was blue. Figured I could hide it. The air fitting will be used for tires, air tools in a pinch and whatever else that can be used with air.

$6 for that guy...

installed:

That's it for today. I have a few panels left to wrap in plaid and the wood still needs to be purchased for the hardwood install which will be next. The I'll be dusting off the welder and grinder and figuring some **** out. ANY info on that white bagged 240 wagon would be of great help if anyone has seen it. The rear suspension looks very tight for space but I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

Last edited by carter on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:16 am 

Super slick!

Oh, and all that crap is disintegrating seat foam.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm 
Cams + Headers

Thaaat explains why it doesn't feel as nice as the passenger seat...haha

Anyone selling a beige seat? :P it's that or have them all recovered...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:05 pm 

Redoing 240 seats is easy for a man of your talents. Get yourself another passenger side (the foam is always in better shape) and have at it. To make it even easier, invest in some hog ring pliers and a bunch of new hog rings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:57 pm 
Cams + Headers

I've done some seats before but I can NOT sew for the life of me haha. If I had them done I'd have some of the plaid used in the center section. My driver seat is ripped up pretty bad too :( I don't imagine the outer skin's are interchangeable are they?

side note - are there any Volvo meets in the area? I missed the Edmonton one a few weeks ago

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:12 am 

As far as I remember, the bottoms are identical. The backs are only different in that there is a small hole for lumbar adjustment on the driver side.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 am 
First volvo in outer space

swedishmeatball wrote:
As far as I remember, the bottoms are identical. The backs are only different in that there is a small hole for lumbar adjustment on the driver side.

The bottoms are the same but the backs in the -85 are shorter than the 86+ and don't interchange (ask me how I know :oops: ). I have brand new seat bottoms and aftermarket seat grids waiting to go in that I got from DavidSamuels on tbrix. He is also in the process of setting up to build backs as well.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:37 pm 
Cams + Headers

Had another day off work and got into the floor.

Here we go, I've never really worked with wood, only metal. In fact I'm pretty sure I recall telling myself I'd never be able to work with wood...well, I dug out my grampas old jig saw he left me when he passed away last year. It's pretty old, but it holds sentimental value so I made it work.

Test fit:

Test fit with stain

Next is to mount the tank I suppose...and work on some stainless trim for the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:23 pm 
Cams + Headers

Small update for the heck of it. The rest of my floor arrive finally. 5 week wait!

Cut some bump stops and tucked the rear wheels up to take some measurements. Aiming to be slightly lower but we'll see what happens there.

Hopefully going to get the York mounted and filling the air tank this week. Next hurdle is mounting the newer smaller style PS pump to the side of the york.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:48 am 

This is shaping up to be one mighty cool car.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 am 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Ugly Duck wrote:
This is shaping up to be one mighty cool car.

Yeah, this is awesome. I'm enjoying watching this a lot. Really nice.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next