Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:21 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Now you're starting to get it...the oil pump needs to be from the B230 to fit, it's just that it has the pick up tube for the slanted engine. You can either have the original pump pick up shortened or graft on the pick-up from the B20 pump. There is no swapping the wire over per se as the donor cars have integrated wiring harnesses...it's a veritable rats nest of connectors and junk you don't need. So get the 240 harness as I've suggested or get a LH 2.2 harness from Dave Barton who now sells them for people swapping 740 stuff into 240's. It really is a lot less work to do it this way - well trodden ground.

Dee Works is now making the Avalanche (Dale/Matt) adapter for T5's into a variety of engines. Contact him http://www.deeworks.ca/en/universal.html This would require that you have a M46 bell housing, but that should be no problem and may come with your donor car if it isn't an automatic. This is the adapter I've got in my car - fitting was butter.

Stock is fine for a while - depends on how you drive. If your a smoky burn-out kind of guy, then I'd say no. The 1800 rear doesn't bolt into the wagon - so let that idea fade. The best option is to use a ditch-water common rear from a 240. Baring that the standard light truck Toyota solid axle (8") is bull strong and available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:42 pm 
Cams + Headers

122_Canuck wrote:
Now you're starting to get it...the oil pump needs to be from the B230 to fit, it's just that it has the pick up tube for the slanted engine. You can either have the original pump pick up shortened or graft on the pick-up from the B20 pump. There is no swapping the wire over per se as the donor cars have integrated wiring harnesses...it's a veritable rats nest of connectors and junk you don't need. So get the 240 harness as I've suggested or get a LH 2.2 harness from Dave Barton who now sells them for people swapping 740 stuff into 240's. It really is a lot less work to do it this way - well trodden ground.

Dee Works is now making the Avalanche (Dale/Matt) adapter for T5's into a variety of engines. Contact him http://www.deeworks.ca/en/universal.html This would require that you have a M46 bell housing, but that should be no problem and may come with your donor car if it isn't an automatic. This is the adapter I've got in my car - fitting was butter.

Stock is fine for a while - depends on how you drive. If your a smoky burn-out kind of guy, then I'd say no. The 1800 rear doesn't bolt into the wagon - so let that idea fade. The best option is to use a ditch-water common rear from a 240. Baring that the standard light truck Toyota solid axle (8") is bull strong and available.

Already... Lets recap (the big things).
- Get a 940 with a B230FT and M46.
- Modify pick up tube or swap B20 oil pump
- Get a T5 and have the tunnel modified.
- Get a 240 harness (used for 740's) from a Dave Barton.

Anything else?

Thanks,

68 122s Wagon
B230FT Swap in 122 Discussion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:18 pm 

One more time...the B20 pump does not fit in the B230 - the B230 pump must be modded to look like a B20 pump.

The LH 2.2 conversion harness would be for using LH 2.2 (most likely from a 740 or 240) to convert your car. The primary advantage of 2.2 is that you don't need a flywheel with a 60-2 pattern to trigger the ignition. It's got a distributor. Disadvantages include resistor packs for injectors and various other wiring complications.

Please review the details of my 240 LH 2.4 swap...if you want to hit the HP numbers you need a cam and more turbo than stock.

Either swap (2.2 or 2.4) would require getting an auxiliary shaft from a B230F powered 240 to run a block-mount distributor. There are many threads over on Turbobricks that cover the pros and cons of the various versions of Jetronic fuel injection.

There are a million details to work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:36 am 

What are you going to do for an intake manifold?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 am 
Cams + Headers

Ugly Duck wrote:
What are you going to do for an intake manifold?

No idea at this point in time. Still trying to get information on the stuff above.

If I cant find the info, I'll do something completely different.

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:06 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I like the engine swap tech notes... this is saving me a ton of footwork, I was contemplating the same type of swap (230 naturally aspirated or turbo) but a B20 is the way I think I will go, just due to the amount of fabrication involved. I am very interested in the future plans!
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:35 am 
Cams + Headers

blackdog wrote:
I like the engine swap tech notes... this is saving me a ton of footwork, I was contemplating the same type of swap (230 naturally aspirated or turbo) but a B20 is the way I think I will go, just due to the amount of fabrication involved. I am very interested in the future plans!
David

Well I'll keep digging and post my findings. Craig will tell me of I'm doing it wrong. Lol. However, probably wouldn't of got this far if it wasn't for him.

I'm used to the old forum I was part of for my last car. There was a how to section that had step by step instructions to help others. Was a great resource of info. I'll try turbo bricks today. They may have something.

Thanks,

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 am 

The signal/noise ratio on T'Bricks is exponentially higher than here. There are some knowledgeable people there but they rarely post. You have to figure out which ones are talking from experience and which are simply keyboard warriors who think they know it all. Most of the good ones have simply lost interest. Fortunately for us, a handful of them are here and do post regularly and speak from experience. The collective knowledge on T'Bricks is likely higher than here but the average IQ is significantly higher here. Not saying don't go there. Just saying you'll get as good or better answers here...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:57 pm 
Cams + Headers

Pylon wrote:
The signal/noise ratio on T'Bricks is exponentially higher than here. There are some knowledgeable people there but they rarely post. You have to figure out which ones are talking from experience and which are simply keyboard warriors who think they know it all. Most of the good ones have simply lost interest. Fortunately for us, a handful of them are here and do post regularly and speak from experience. The collective knowledge on T'Bricks is likely higher than here but the average IQ is significantly higher here. Not saying don't go there. Just saying you'll get as good or better answers here...

Understand. However, that was the direction I was told to go for some information.

I'll dig through the info and then post my findings in here to see what is right and what is wrong.

Thanks,

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:25 pm 

Dale's hit the nail on the head about T-Brix (and he's a long-suffering moderator here and there). What I was trying to say was that searching over there (via the google) is about all you need to do. No need to chime in unless you're ready for any number of slightly off opinions. What you're talking about doing has all been done by members here and very few there. Things like how to build a 200+ HP B230FT is chronicled several times there, but not much here or swapping from carbs to LH 2.X - again more there on the swap than here. I'm sorry, I never wrote that up, as the accuracy of what is listed is somewhat questionable (discussions about wire colour rather than what the wire does abound). Again, get a flavour for what you're up against, then we can all chip in here. We're probably the friendliest group around given our decidedly Canadian nature.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 am 
Cams + Headers

122_Canuck wrote:
Dale's hit the nail on the head about T-Brix (and he's a long-suffering moderator here and there). What I was trying to say was that searching over there (via the google) is about all you need to do. No need to chime in unless you're ready for any number of slightly off opinions. What you're talking about doing has all been done by members here and very few there. Things like how to build a 200+ HP B230FT is chronicled several times there, but not much here or swapping from carbs to LH 2.X - again more there on the swap than here. I'm sorry, I never wrote that up, as the accuracy of what is listed is somewhat questionable (discussions about wire colour rather than what the wire does abound). Again, get a flavour for what you're up against, then we can all chip in here. We're probably the friendliest group around given our decidedly Canadian nature.

Thanks for the information. I have gather a bit and going to keep the thread over on TB instead of posting the information on here at this point in time. I have put the link in my Sig.

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:52 am 

Meh, you can crowd source this all you like. No one over there has done it. Your call.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:59 am 
Cams + Headers

122_Canuck wrote:
Meh, you can crowd source this all you like. No one over there has done it. Your call.

Okay. No problem. I'll clean it up and finalize it before I bring it over as mush as possible.

Thanks,

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 am 

I don't think that's what Craig's saying at all. If you want to know what needs to be done, just ask, but don't expect there to be a shopping list of parts in a junkyard or off-the-shelf that you'll discover. To do what you want to do is a lot of fab work and a lot of custom parts. Fitting an intercooler and a cooling system capable enough is one challenge. Getting an intake manifold that fits is another. There are at least three of us who know about this stuff and are willing to help if you're willing to listen and do the fabrication, but you need to ask the question and stop waiting for us to give you the recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:38 pm 

Spend a few hours here...

http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/gallery/v/Pylon/

And here...

http://s377.photobucket.com/user/1turbo ... t=2&page=1

Some is applicable. Some may not be. Either way I think it goes to show the work that's been done to a 122 by some of the members here. Most is of my car but I certainly can't take credit for the creativity or expertise that went into actually doing it. I came up with the dumb ideas. Craig and Matt just shrugged their shoulders and went mmmmmmmmmmmkay....

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next