Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Just a couple of details...the fuel line goes in front of the valve cover and is held in place by a bracket that attaches to the outside bolt of the thermostat housing and the fuel filter wants to be BEFORE the pump. I see filters after the pump all the time. It's better to filter the fuel pre filter than post. The reasons seem to stem from SU's not liking cavitation in their fuel and also one of safety as it's dangerous enough to have the fuel line where it is (would not be allowed for drag racing for example) so why introduce a potential leak?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 am 
Cams + Headers

122_Canuck wrote:
Just a couple of details...the fuel line goes in front of the valve cover and is held in place by a bracket that attaches to the outside bolt of the thermostat housing and the fuel filter wants to be BEFORE the pump. I see filters after the pump all the time. It's better to filter the fuel pre filter than post. The reasons seem to stem from SU's not liking cavitation in their fuel and also one of safety as it's dangerous enough to have the fuel line where it is (would not be allowed for drag racing for example) so why introduce a potential leak?

Yep. Agree with all of this. In the process of looking for a bracket and if I can't find one, I'll get one made. Will reroute the line once this bracket is in. Got the car with it sitting over the valve cover and it drives me nuts.

68 122s Wagon
B230FT Swap in 122 Discussion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:40 am 
First volvo in outer space

HUB wrote:
122_Canuck wrote:

Yep. Agree with all of this. In the process of looking for a bracket and if I can't find one, I'll get one made. Will reroute the line once this bracket is in. Got the car with it sitting over the valve cover and it drives me nuts.

If you find a bracket can you list the source, I've been looking for one as well after Craig told me about it and haven't found one yet.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm 

Super hard to find the correct bracket - stupid easy to build. I've been using a short length of 1" (1/8" thick) aluminum flat bar stock with a hole to clear the bolt in the thermostat housing and then drill and tap the other end to accept a rubber coated clip that holds the hose. Better than factory.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:13 pm 
Cams + Headers

Worked in the driver seat and a few other interior items.

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Love the wagon, and the color! Good luck with your project and please share any tips you come across. Everyone on this forum has been terrific ever since I joined.
David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:57 am 
Cams + Headers

blackdog wrote:
Love the wagon, and the color! Good luck with your project and please share any tips you come across. Everyone on this forum has been terrific ever since I joined.
David

Thanks! Have been posting what I have been doing so far. Other members have been extremely helpful.

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:35 am 
Cams + Headers

Installed the new headlights that I got for Christmas. Converted over to halogen.

First one out and getting it cleaned.

Finished product. Will do a few night shots tonight. They're a little bit more flat.

68 122s Wagon

Last edited by HUB on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:50 am 

Wow, gen-u-whine Volvo headlights, too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:59 am 
Cams + Headers

Okay everyone. Looking to do a motor swap. Please let me know if you see anything missing or have any advise. Shooting for 200 to 250 hp at the wheels.

1990 to 1993 Volvo 740 Turbo (B230FT). 93 came with electric fans for cooling.

Or a 940 SE I believe. Don't know if this the right model. However, it also had a B230FT motor.

VINTAGE TO OHC RED BLOCK MOUNT ADAPTER KIT

50mm aluminum alloy radiator Volvo Amazon P1800 B18 B20 engine GT 1959-1970 M/T

UNIVERSAL T-2 12PC 2.5" ALUMINUM INTERCOOLER PIPING+SILICONE HOSES+CLAMPS SILVER

B20 Oil Pan

B20 Oil Pump (100836 - Heavy Duty Oil Pump - B18 B20)

101407 - Oil Pan (Bottom end) Gasket Set - B18 B20

I know I'll need plugs and gaskets for the new motor.

I also believe I'll have to put in a fuel pump if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks!

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:33 am 

It's not quite as simple as a bolt-in kit. What transmission do you plan to use? If anything but an M41 (which will have a tough time with 250hp) you'll need to replace the transmission tunnel with something bigger. If you plan to run the M41, the crank pulley gets pushed into the radiator and the steering drag link. How will you deal with that? Where do you plan to put the intercooler? How big is it? Where is the turbo going? Piping? What about wiring for the to run all the electronics the B230FT needs? You are correct in that an electric fuel pump (and return line) will need to be added.

All the photos Matt posted were from when he was mocking things up for my 122. We did run into some added issues because we're going with a B234 and the size of the cylinder head, but we're not turboing or changing transmissions. We have changed things significantly at the front of the car to accommodate just the B234 swap. Hanging a turbocharger somewhere along with all associated plumbing etc adds a whole new level of complication.

There will be lots of "massaging" with a BFH or cutting torch. Are you prepared to do that or to pay someone to do that? Those cars running turbo engines are pretty cool but there was a ton of time and money spent getting them there. There are recipes out there for pretty peppy B20 engines. In the end you might be happier and running a lot sooner (and further ahead financially) if you put together a potent B20 and dropped it in...

Just my thoughts...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am 
Cams + Headers

Pylon wrote:
It's not quite as simple as a bolt-in kit. What transmission do you plan to use? If anything but an M41 (which will have a tough time with 250hp) you'll need to replace the transmission tunnel with something bigger. If you plan to run the M41, the crank pulley gets pushed into the radiator and the steering drag link. How will you deal with that? Where do you plan to put the intercooler? How big is it? Where is the turbo going? Piping? What about wiring for the to run all the electronics the B230FT needs? You are correct in that an electric fuel pump (and return line) will need to be added.

All the photos Matt posted were from when he was mocking things up for my 122. We did run into some added issues because we're going with a B234 and the size of the cylinder head, but we're not turboing or changing transmissions. We have changed things significantly at the front of the car to accommodate just the B234 swap. Hanging a turbocharger somewhere along with all associated plumbing etc adds a whole new level of complication.

There will be lots of "massaging" with a BFH or cutting torch. Are you prepared to do that or to pay someone to do that? Those cars running turbo engines are pretty cool but there was a ton of time and money spent getting them there. There are recipes out there for pretty peppy B20 engines. In the end you might be happier and running a lot sooner (and further ahead financially) if you put together a potent B20 and dropped it in...

Just my thoughts...

I have a M41 In the car now and planned on using it. Will keep the B230FT stock to handle the M41. Then looking other transmission options.

Thanks,

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 pm 
Cams + Headers

Fuel line bracket made to get the line off the valve cover.

68 122s Wagon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:15 am 

The pan gasket is the same...that's sort of the beauty of this...so you don't need a B20 bottom end kit. Have a look at my 242 build thread for tips on how to build a B230FT. There are a million details to do that are not in your list. Most people do this in their garage over a long period of time, the costs would be substantial. M41's are not meant to handle 200 - 250 HP...even 168 HP is going to take some care when shifting. Then you'll start breaking other things. Look at the size of that little drive shaft...one slip and you'll turn it into a pretzel.

OK, so we're not hating on the idea. Just saying when you say things like "I'll have to put in a fuel pump if I'm not mistaken" gives pause. Yup, you're going to need a fuel pump and fuel return line put into the tank. The idea of using LH 2.2 from a 740 wouldn't be my first choice. I'd go LH 2.4 from the later 940 cars, they also got the larger rods and piston cooling squirters and the better turbo manifold (the 90+) - so a better start point. None of these cars has a separate engine side wiring harness, so you won't be just moving wires over between cars.

You'll need an engine wiring harness form a later 240 with LH 2.4. Then you have to power it all. Again, check my build thread. The power distribution in your 122 can't handle you're upgrade. You've got 4 fuses...that's not going to work. You'll need to deal with that issue.

So for now, parse out the parts that you're willing to do and then look into those that you're not willing or able to do and check with your fab person. Speaking from personal experience, you just can't lean on friendship for this level of fabrication unless you're super-dooper good friends. It's just not a reasonable expectation.

Oh and stay away form Vintage Performance unless you're into tossing your money away. The T-9 is not an option unless you can find one for the trans swap, the T5 is easier, but requires sheet metal work. Tapered rear axles suck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:11 pm 
Cams + Headers

122_Canuck wrote:
The pan gasket is the same...that's sort of the beauty of this...so you don't need a B20 bottom end kit. Have a look at my 242 build thread for tips on how to build a B230FT. There are a million details to do that are not in your list. Most people do this in their garage over a long period of time, the costs would be substantial. M41's are not meant to handle 200 - 250 HP...even 168 HP is going to take some care when shifting. Then you'll start breaking other things. Look at the size of that little drive shaft...one slip and you'll turn it into a pretzel.

OK, so we're not hating on the idea. Just saying when you say things like "I'll have to put in a fuel pump if I'm not mistaken" gives pause. Yup, you're going to need a fuel pump and fuel return line put into the tank. The idea of using LH 2.2 from a 740 wouldn't be my first choice. I'd go LH 2.4 from the later 940 cars, they also got the larger rods and piston cooling squirters and the better turbo manifold (the 90+) - so a better start point. None of these cars has a separate engine side wiring harness, so you won't be just moving wires over between cars.

You'll need an engine wiring harness form a later 240 with LH 2.4. Then you have to power it all. Again, check my build thread. The power distribution in your 122 can't handle you're upgrade. You've got 4 fuses...that's not going to work. You'll need to deal with that issue.

So for now, parse out the parts that you're willing to do and then look into those that you're not willing or able to do and check with your fab person. Speaking from personal experience, you just can't lean on friendship for this level of fabrication unless you're super-dooper good friends. It's just not a reasonable expectation.

Oh and stay away form Vintage Performance unless you're into tossing your money away. The T-9 is not an option unless you can find one for the trans swap, the T5 is easier, but requires sheet metal work. Tapered rear axles suck.

Well thank you both for the information!

I'll look for a 940 vs a 740. For wiring, I planned on swapping it almost all over. I'll still need put a B20 oil pump in the car for it being mounted upright?

Okay... So the M41 is out due to power reasons. T5 needs to go in with the tunnel modified... Got that (will have to take to a local guy to do it). As far as the necessary parts to put in a T5, I only knew of Vintage performance. Is there someone else you recommend?

Will the stock rear end be able to handle that kind of power, or should it be upgraded to a 1800 rear end?

Thanks again!

68 122s Wagon

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next