Change font size
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 9   [ 129 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: 1966 Volvo 122
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Regarding the inner fender outer panel. Until relatively recently (about the past 8 months to a year) I don't think the full inner wheel well inner panel (it's the outer inner that rusts) was available. So this was all people had - if doing it again...the full panel is $87 USD from the tip to the flange - the repair partial (what we were working with) is about the same cost. Now most people probably don't change out the entire part (used for the patch shape only). And on a 4-door changing that panel as a complete part is a major job. On a 2-door is is not nearly as difficult to get to all parts of that panel.

What is shown in the above post (aside from the one monster gap) is NOT possible with the original part. It was stretched, shaped, bent and occasionally cut to get it into a reasonable facsimile of what it should look like. We don't currently own the tools to make it perfect. With a day worth of beating it on the sandbag and over various other tools, we got it to fit. Welding, grinding and cutting upside down in a wheel well reminds you that this isn't quite the fun it looks like. It is a demonstration that it is possible, but I was as surprised as anyone when the last mallet blow saw that panel snap up into place and the weld line was pretty much perfectly butted. Luck played a role here for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

That was a FANTASTIC series of posts guys - thanks so much for taking the time to document and explain it!

Now about that mig sheet metal weld technique - Any chance you could video what that looks like if you guys ever find the time? I'd even drive down to learn anything I could with respect to welding and shaping sheet metal. Loved the thin strips of metal idea, and the tape grid made so much sense when I saw it.

So if you ever have the time to offer a "class" as it were - Count me in! In the meantime I'll learn cool tips vicariously via your guys' build threads. :)

Rabin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:41 pm 
First volvo in outer space

What Rabin said. Way over my head but it is really appreciated that you took the time to document all of that.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:08 pm 

bean wrote:
That was a FANTASTIC series of posts guys - thanks so much for taking the time to document and explain it!

Now about that mig sheet metal weld technique - Any chance you could video what that looks like if you guys ever find the time? I'd even drive down to learn anything I could with respect to welding and shaping sheet metal. Loved the thin strips of metal idea, and the tape grid made so much sense when I saw it.

So if you ever have the time to offer a "class" as it were - Count me in! In the meantime I'll learn cool tips vicariously via your guys' build threads. :)

Rabin

Thanks for the complements. At this point, I'm still learning so don't think that I should be teaching shaping to anyone. I would like to take one of the big classes as my skills develop. As for the welding - this is something that I've developed over the past several years and I could for sure crack out a video that demonstrates the technique. In the past, I have offered to do a welding skills day for the club. It would take some work to put it together, but I'd be willing to do a day/weekend seminar - instructional on basic or more advanced welding skills.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:52 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

This thread is inspiring. For someone who has taken basic classes in oxyfuel, GMAW/GTAW/SMAW, I have the utmost respect for people that can do this type of work. It's no wonder I check the thread on a daily basis to see what new progress has been made! I would definitely be interested in a class setting if the planets align.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:22 am 

Tons of overtime at work expected this month, so progress will be delayed for a little while, or at least slowed right up. It will continue, though: the goal is still to get the car on the road this summer, just maybe not June 1 like I'd hoped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Great progress guys!!!

love the technical details on the process involved...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 am 

I'm testing Amazon Web Hosting and hosting my own photos. I settled on them for now since I can create and control my own folder structure for easy copy-paste find-replace copy-paste action. I open my thread, edit my post, copy all. Paste all into word, find the old photobucket folder structure, replace it with new Amazon structure, then copy all. Paste all back into my thread, submit changes, all done. The whole 9 page thread here was done in about 15 minutes.

It's been a while that I've had this set up, I just haven't uploaded anything yet so I don't know what it's gonna cost me. I'm only doing this thread today to see how it works, and the proof of concept is good. I'm going to do the 123 GT thread and 780 thread next, but probably no more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:35 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Thanks for putting in the effort to update your pix Matt, I've decide on postimage to re-do mine but have no idea about the addressing.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 9   [ 129 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9