Site Admin

for the last little while I've had this:

now, for the nth time, I have this:

stupid volvo diffs.

:)

- R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:06 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I think I called it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

I think you did ;)

But then again, I break open diffs too... Time for a ford diff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:31 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Having seen your other posts on P-shop and Tbrix, I feel obliged to try and help out.

If you want to see a bigger diff in a 700, you can look at Kenny Howard's car (Linuxman51 on Tbrix). He's in the process of fitting an 8.8 from an Explorer into his drag car. You can also search for Dug Strickler's car on Tbrix as well, the Volvette. I seem to recall it's got a 9" in there.

In both cases, I believe shortening and custom axles are needed. I could be wrong: I seem to recall that the diff sits offset to the passenger side a little, so maybe only shortening the driver's side so that it can use a passenger side axle is all that's needed.

Since you swapped axles when switching to the 3.73 gears I gave you, you are familiar with the issues involved in putting a bigger axle back there: The torque rods bolt to the side of the diff, and when putting a bigger diff in there it also stands to reason that the torque rods will be moved outboard. This might cause problems in the 700. You've also got to keep in mind the tube diameter because the trailing arm bushings ride directly on the axle tubes.

On P-shop you said that one possibility is the 7.5" out of a SuperCoupe? I don't know if it's got a 7.5" or an 8.8": I thought it had the bigger of the two. What I do know is that the SuperCoupe has IRS. Another possibility was the Lincoln Town Car 8.8, which is 3-4" wider than a 240 rear axle, but much closer to a 740 rear axle. It's still got the wrong bolt pattern, just like the Explorer axle, so you'll have to switch that or run rear wheels that have a 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

You'd probably find it much easier & cheaper to install one of these: http://www.rocky-road.com/lockright.html $245 and it gets rid of the spider & side gears completely.

Edit - AFAIK, there's no such thing as a Dana 31. It's a Dana 30.

I won't even mention how long a Volvo diff will last behind MUCH more powerful motors than yours by being a bit more considerate towards them. I know that kind of sensible talk will bounce right off you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

only the exploder has the offsetness, most other 8.8's like the mustang and lincoln town car rear ends are even steven.

If I were to drive gently, then I'd lose my mind... I've had a shitload of cars, none of them were driven gently - The ones that can take it get deemed as awesome sauce, and the ones that cannot get deemed as weaksauce. The only reason the volvo rocks so hard is the engine, its easy to make power with, and I like the way the car feels when she's all together, it makes for a great car... with a weaksaue tranny and weaksauce rear end.

Sensible talk is my kryptonite, I'm an idiot, and I always will be.

I'm fairly certain you gave me 3.91's and the gears themselves are good...

I'm going to try and give you a call tonight from work, maybe you can shed a bit more light on this...

Sorry that I'm such a tard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:48 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Happy Sunday.

Wot the hell, you broke the axle I gave you already?

Still have a DVD for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:17 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Are you breaking ring and pinions or diff guts first?

If diff guts go into the R&P (what I think is most likely), weld them up with a more powerfull welder? Like a 300 amp millermatic for example? I stickwelded mine and wasn't very nice to it. It was fine.

The later (~90+) axles are a decent bit stronger than the early ones at the splines and setting up a diff with fresh properly shimmed bearings instead of old starved pinion, carrier and wheel bearings makes a very large difference. The 1031 ring and pinion is pretty strong. It outlived the torque rod frame in my 700 by quite a bit. Set up decently well, the 1031 should outlive your M46s very handily.

An 8.8 explorer or town car is pretty close to a 700. Then you get to mess with the wheel bolt patterns and offsets of course.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]