Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 75 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project(s) Thread 245 / 242
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:06 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

yes... i have to consolidate vehicles, and the 242 is the top of the list, unless I can sell the beemer quickly, but i'm not holding my breath on that in this market.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:10 am 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
yes... i have to consolidate vehicles, and the 242 is the top of the list, unless I can sell the beemer quickly, but i'm not holding my breath on that in this market.

Why, a little rust got you down?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 am 

yes, a little rust got me down.

more like it's the nail in the coffin. I just don't have the time or motivation to tackle it. It's hard enough to keep up the basic maintenance on three cars (and a bike when I start working on it) and the 242 is sort of high maintenance (and noisiest, and least comfortable) as it is. Adding a bunch of body and paint work into the equation is just too much.

Even if I sell the bmw pretty quick here, i can see myself transplanting everything into a clean late model 240. the fenders all need work, the butt cheeks are gone, and even the rear quarter has holes behind the bumper. that's on top of the standard door and windsheild rust, which is sort of holding off, for now.

sorry for the threadjack.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 pm 

Not to mention you've now got 4 cars and 2 bikes hanging around a single car garage, correct? Or does Jade have a car anymore now that you've sold the Heep?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:33 pm 

Down to 3 cars and 2 bikes. One car stays warm, the other gets frozen to the street (litterally) out front, and the beemer is outside at the bowness house, but at least has a nice blanket. I'm just praying all the seals haven't frozen and dried out over the winter [-o<
Sold the heap at auction, took a bit of a loss but it was worth it considering jade has had to use my car about 4 times since.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 pm 
Whost Pore

Threadjackers! :shakes fist:

I got the head today. And it looks very very clean! not much for carbon deposits, and it looks like it had very regular oil changes. so im happy. I picked up some grinding stones to port match the exhaust side and clean up some of the casting marks as well as port the 90+ and 15g when I get them in the mail. I cant believe that 740 was still sitting there, I now have its entire ezk system, fuel rail and injectors and now its head in my car, it was well maintained by the looks of things.

so ill have a B Cam tonight (thanks to Andy), and hopefully my new BOV, vac lines, turbo + mani, and a summit racing oil filter relocation kit will show up before this weekend. so Ill have it back on the road in the meantime, new and improoved. pics to follow too.

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 pm 
I can fix the world

Make sure you seal the fittings on that relocation kit. My brother had a world of trouble with them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm 
Whost Pore

Edicius wrote:
Make sure you seal the fittings on that relocation kit. My brother had a world of trouble with them

will do. Also have a hks turbo timer that Im going to install that I forgot to mention.

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 pm 

what do you mean when you say "port match"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:53 pm 
Whost Pore

match the ports to the gaskets. On both the head and the exhaust mani.

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:11 am 

When you do the relocation kit, MAKE SURE you know which way the oil flows!!! The check valve in the oil filter will reduce oil pressure to near zero if you get the hoses crossed. You need to plumb the "side" fitting of the blockoff plate to the "side" fitting of the filter mount, and the "center" fitting of the filter mount to the "center" fitting of the blockoff plate. Doing this wrong will make big noises in a hurry. Also, don't overtighten the fittings 'cause those blockoff plates & mounts are junk aluminium & you'll crack them wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 am 

Also...if you want a mix and match head gasket set, I've got one. I got a complete Elring B230 head set and then realized I needed a bunch of B234-specific gaskets so got a B234 head set. It's a Goetz or something like that. I'm using the Elring head gasket but most of the other stuff will come from the Goetz kit. Bottom line is I have a slightly used (for mock-up only- no torque) Goetz head gasket and a full Elring kit other than the head gasket, making up a complete B230 head set.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:08 am 

From what i've read, porting the head and/or manifold out to the gasket may not be the best idea.

You need to keep the exhaust flowing nice and quickly out of the engine and through that turbo. opening up the exhaust port slows it down, then tries to cram it back together through the turbo. it's alot of wasted effort imo.

you're better off to smooth and polish those ports, round off the sharp corners (at the floor of the port, just after the valve). spend a little time cleaning up the combustion chambers too, maybe not with a grinder, just something to polish and remove a little material so you don't risk grinding something you shouldn't.

Here's what mine looked like Image
One of the turbobricks guys is now using this head with great success. The one currently on my car I didn't go quite that far, but I'm still happy with it.

matching the manifold outlet to the turbine inlet is another story though- the 90+ manifolds are notoriously undersized there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:37 am 

On the oil filter relocation question...Matt's right, steer clear of the cheapo cast crap unless you like rebuilding your engine if it leaks. I spent a lot of time looking for a reasonable billet aluminum alternative. Most are really over priced and not worth the money. Earl's sells these ones and they are perfect.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR%2D1178ERL&N=700+318418+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR%2D2178ERL&N=700+115&autoview=sku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:56 am 

When I cracked my cheapo blockoff plate I bought one of those Earl's ones and used it to great success. I'll buy another set when I swap the B23 into the 780.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 75 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next