Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: '81 242 GLT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:47 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

RaZ wrote:
I thought you were getting an OOP or something, don't know why.

Probably because I made it sound like a big deal! :lol: I haven't put an inspection on a vehicle here yet so wasn't sure just how easy-going it was - In the UK, inspections (MOT) are quite strict, the 242 certainly wouldn't have passed it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

you should see the vehicles they allow on the road in the US- some have more duct tape than sheet metal!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

You have much to learn, if you wish to be wise in the ways of "Alberta" this magical land. Ask me, and I shall guide thee, partially. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:48 pm 
Whost Pore

go back to canadian tire and buy a bolt and a hockey puck. drill, cut, install, profit.

and it will work better :)

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:46 pm 

Got a few decent photos tonight;

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:43 am 

Went to the Pick-n-Pull in Edmonton today. On my way there I stopped by with a guy I met a while back who has a very nice 242. I think a posted a few pictures of his car is another of my threads. Reminder;

Anyway, I had a blast at the PnP! There's a few Volvos lying around, most of them seem to have near-complete interiors in good condition. I pulled an interior map light (always wanted one of these), a red locking gas cap, a couple of nice dash switches, oil gauge, cig lighter and a couple of trim screws for spares. I also caught Ian (iadr) pulling a driveshaft from a Turbo and couldn't help make lite Volvo banter, before discovering he's on this forum!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Aye, it was I- along with female accompanyment. Laying under the car as I was, I think I failed to introduce Cheri. :( I was feeling somewhat dismayed as the 245T I was pulling from was just mint underneath.

So I *think* I may have a drive shaft that works. So I will post on the other thread and do a PM.

I will admit I never did get the output flange. The big nut in the centre had me beat. If I were at home, I'd use my MAP gas mini torch, suspecting some type of lock-tite in action. I nearly destroyed my half inch rachet, and did destroy a 1 1/16th socket of 5th rate qaulity. I'm going back today-extend my lunch break. I'm bringing a proper breaker-bar of 6-7 inches greater length, and a 24v cordless impact, and a new Mastercraft socket. I'm doubtful about the impact being any good, but worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 pm 

I was looking in the engine bay tonight and found a few loose ends, I don't know if you guys have any idea what they are or where they should go?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm

second one, if you trace it back a bit, where does it go? kind of looks like a broken block heater chord :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 pm 

The one on the exhaust side is most definitely a block heater plug - you're in Canada now [begin Holy Wars on block heater necessity :lol: ]. There is a delay valve missing on the other side - check the greenbooks for the plumbing (http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/T ... part_1.pdf) page 23 is what you're looking for...I'd take a picture of mine, but my close up pictures usually insight more laughter than praise.

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 am 
Site Admin

^

Dude. Repost. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am 

RaZ wrote:
^

Dude. Repost. :mrgreen:

Just confirming your analysis of the block heater cord - you didn't forward on any info on the plumbing diagrams that I could see...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

You're right, just trolling :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the help; I fitted the hose onto that t-piece and the other is a broken block heater cord. I guess I'll have to get that sorted before Winter then... Where does the block heater cord go / connect to and is it possible to just replace the cord? Regarding the delay value, what does that do exactly, and would it make much different with/without?

I went to Lube City yesterday and the service guy was pretty good, he talked away to me, let me check out the underbody of the car and even went out of his way to check the gearbox oil (the bolt was pretty well glued on, in the end had to use a pipe wrench), before topping it up. Rear differential oil was low and very dirty so they serviced that. The gearbox mount doesn't look to bad but is pretty well compressed. Overdrive wiring seemed fine down there to, and the buzzing is the fuel pump - I'm told the buzzing fuel pump could be the tank pump under strain, so how does one tell which is actually on the way out? :-s

I was at the pick-n-pull yesterday morning again and pulled a few switches and stuff. There's a couple of Wagons sitting with Corona alloys fitted - they are in good condition with nuts and I really want to buy them (I've always fancied a set!) but just can't afford to at the minute, same with a couple of good big bumpers I noticed. :-X

I also picked up an overdrive relay and a gearknob with overdrive button and fitted it last night. Today I finally got to see how the replacements worked out; Overdrive stays on for longer now but it is still popping out. When it does pop out I usually have to wait a few seconds (10 or so) before trying to engage it again so it works. I'm going to a car show tomorrow in Tofield so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. I'm keeping to the minor highways so I can take it easy in 4th if overdrive decides to throw it's dummy out.

I loaded the dash up with an extra gauge and a load of switches to give it a nice fully loaded feel. I was going to fit my map reading light but didn't have any extra wiring so I'll leave that for next day - don't really want to fit it to the side pillars either. Cigarette lighter now works, and one of the three speakers I got with the Volvo works, I've hooked that up anyway so I at least have some sound. I'm planning on upgrading the speakers at some point, but no rush. The wipers, just like my old '79 245 are 'slow' and they clunk (motor possibly needing lubed)? I wonder if later 200 wiper motors any better/stronger/faster?

Anyway, I'm getting used to driving the car and it's a 'different car' compared to my old 245 (B21A-Auto). I must admit, I also prefer the later style dash as apposed to the early type. I've taken a couple of pictures of how the cabin looks now after fitting a few goodies, but there's still more to come. The back seats look pretty cosy, in more ways than one! :mrgreen:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Short video I took the other night; http://www.vimeo.com/5869487

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

14" coronas should be free.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next