Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: '81 242 GLT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:07 am 
First volvo in outer space

Darren, looks like you're having fun with the "new" car, keep up with the updates. One thought I had when I read about your visit to the Qwik Lube place is did they use the proper fluid in the tranny? The reason I ask is the free beater I got had some receipts in the glove box that indicated a trans oil change where a Qwik Lube place used Dexron III fluid in the m46 trans... :( This receipt was followed some time later by a trans rebuild receipt... :( :( I know you're allot more knowledgeable about Volvo's than the PO of my car but I thought I would throw this out just so you can double check that they used the correct ATF Type "F" fluid.

Also noticed a female in one of the pictures, this wouldn't be the same one who swore she would never be seen in "that" car?? Good job in indoctrinating her in the ways of the Volvo. =D>

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:09 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Yeah, Dextron III isn't going to kill your transmission...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Yeah, Dextron III isn't going to kill your transmission...

Sarcasm, yes?? Sorry I must be slow tonight. :?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:07 pm 

No sarcasm. I'm guessing that the overdrive was on the way out and the PO thought a change would do it good, and then rebuilt it. D3 has minimally more slip than F, and would have no effect on the bearings. I've never experienced it myself, but I hear tell that an old Ford's shifts could be softened up by switching to D3, and everything else would shift a bit firmer with F. I.E., no harm, no foul.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:47 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

RaZ wrote:
14" coronas should be free.

Well, they do seem pretty common here but are quite desirable in the UK - I always wanted a set painted up in black/silver for my '79 245. I've nothing against Virgos, but wouldn't mind running something else. My 'dream' 200 rim is the five spoke available on the 262C (attached), except painted up black/silver. =P~

Quote:
One thought I had when I read about your visit to the Qwik Lube place is did they use the proper fluid in the tranny?

Now, there's a question and a half! :( I never even thought to query it, I was just happy to get it topped up. It's not listed on the receipt either. I'm not sure if it's vital or not, but they didn't flush the current oil (it wasn't that low), just topped it up.

None-the-less, I went to Tofield today for the show. For the first 50KMs overdrive worked a treat; it popped out on a couple of bumps and going down a few hills but for the most part, it stayed on for long periods of driving. After 50KMs though, the bloody thing just kept popping out everytime I engaged it. The journey home was a similar story although it wasn't staying on for as long as it did that morning. I just gave up, forgot about it and cruised home happily at 80kmph in 4th. Somebody suggested that when topping up, it takes some time for the oil to work its way into the overdrive. What's the chances the oil isn't yet sitting at the correct level? This sways me due to the fact overdrive was popping out on downhills and bumps (movement of the oil level)? :-k

Quote:
Also noticed a female in one of the pictures, this wouldn't be the same one who swore she would never be seen in "that" car?? Good job in indoctrinating her in the ways of the Volvo.

It took some persuading but the deal was we were going to the recycling bank then onto do the groceries. Whilst doing the recycling, a sudden storm kicked in with strong winds and hail - she didn't like that and was scared the hail would finish of the cracks in the windshield... :finga: Needless to say, she did comment that it's not too bad. I think she's embarrassed as to how rough it looks on the outside!

I like to post a couple of pictures with every update, so here goes; a couple of shots I took at the Bardo Grain Elevator (south of Tofield) and edited;

Image Image

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:40 am 
Site Admin

not just a bad ground to the OD unit?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 am 

RaZ wrote:
not just a bad ground to the OD unit?

Yep, electrically they leave something to be desired sometimes. It could be a bad 4th gear switch or a bad connection to the solenoid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 am 

check the solder joints on the OD relay, and wiring at bottom of shifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:12 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
No sarcasm. I'm guessing that the overdrive was on the way out and the PO thought a change would do it good, and then rebuilt it. D3 has minimally more slip than F, and would have no effect on the bearings. I've never experienced it myself, but I hear tell that an old Ford's shifts could be softened up by switching to D3, and everything else would shift a bit firmer with F. I.E., no harm, no foul.

Interesting... thanks, I was under the impression from reading about m4x fluid requirements on BB that anything other than a type F fluid was certain death and that the chain of receipts in the glove box proved it. When you say the bearings wouldn't be harmed isn't it the disks that work on friction that need the specific fluid?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:58 pm 

DarrenK wrote:
Thanks for the help; I fitted the hose onto that t-piece and the other is a broken block heater cord. I guess I'll have to get that sorted before Winter then... Where does the block heater cord go / connect to and is it possible to just replace the cord? Regarding the delay value, what does that do exactly, and would it make much different with/without?

The delay valve does as described...the block heater goes to one of the core plugs where silly Canadians install electric heaters instead of a standard plug. The idea is that a warm water jacket will make it easier to start the car when it is chilly. Run light weight winter oil - easier (unless you've got a diesel like me - then get a block heater). If you can unplug the heater - you can get a replacement cord.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:14 pm 
I can fix the world

I remember having bad engine mounts on my 242 and the wires heading around the shifter got cut from the movement. Check what everyone is suggesting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:27 pm 

Thanks again for all the advice! =D>

Overdrive has been working pretty good the last few days using it occasionally, only popping out a couple of times. I decided to check out the wires under the shifter boot anyway. It looks like there has been a repair on a couple of wires - I checked the connections and all seems fine, so neatly insulated it again. All the wires/connections I've checked from under the shifter boot upwards appear to be fine. Put everything back together and what do ya know, overdrive ain't working! Doesn't even 'click' half of the time, and when the OD light appears on it just goes out immediately without even getting a chance to go into '5th gear'. I guess it's an electrical problem downstairs then. #-o

Now, since doing the above, I'm concerned about a reek of coolant I can smell in the cabin, mainly for the first few KMs of driving (no doubt just a coincidence). Temperature gauge is reading correctly below 'half-way' and the coolant level doesn't appear to be dropping any. Also, a slight burning smell which I thought might be from readjusting the wires in the transmission tunnel but everything seems normal, and there's no sign of any damage. :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 pm 
I can fix the world

Heater core might be leaking a bit, check the carpets by the center console for wetness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:09 am 

Though that's not a guarantee, since the heater matrix has a drain to outside the cabin. If you see coolant on the ground coming from the area around your transmission tunnel, this is the culprit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm 

My girlfriend reckons it smells like my old 245 and I'm just paranoid. :oops: Carpets are dry and there doesn't appear to be any coolant leaks in the engine bay or under the car! That said, there has to be damp in the cabin somewhere as my windows are usually a little condensated in the morning.

I've been driving it to work lately, it's nice to get the sunroof and rear quarters open and a 'heater' that actually blows cool air (Jeep doesn't) for the cruise home! Fuel economy is less than desired, but sitting on the highway without overdrive and the fact the poor engine is probably looong overdue a service, what do I expect! Also, I learned there's approx. 13litres of fuel left in the tank when the gauge is sitting worryingly in the red. :-"

I really, really, really, want a rear window louver!! =P~

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next