Strapping on extra booster rockets

DarrenK wrote:
I really, really, really, want a rear window louver!! =P~

To put on a wall? Absolutely.

To put on a car? HELL NO!

Post subject: Re: '81 242 GLT
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:17 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

^ +1 maybe on an old school Camaro if you can pull it off right but not on a volvo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:30 am 
First volvo in outer space

^^ +2, and only if you have a mullet with a white T and your cigs stuffed up in the sleeve. Sorry but louvers... :vom:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm 

Whoops, forgot to reply about the louver! :finga: Well, if you ever come across one for sale you know who to think of... O:)

Haven't done much to the 242, just cosmetic tinkering really. I'm think I'm getting about 500km per tank, although I'm yet to run it dry (worried I might clog up and screw the already noisy fuel pump). Speaking off which, the fuse for that blew on me the other day on the highway. Anyway, when the fuel gauge needle is at the bottom of the red there is still approx. 10 litres left in the tank.

Moving on; bloody overdrive. A bit fed up not having a '5th' on the highway now. I pulled out Haynes and looked up the wiring diagram (always a no-go area for me!!) and traced everything related to overdrive. The only thing I was unable to physically check was the red wire that runs to the overdrive gearbox switch (also known as 4th gear switch?). Now, where is that located and what does it do exactly? After I put everything back together and went for a drive, I have a new diagnostic for thought;

Drove around town until she warmed up. Engaged overdrive at ~65kmph, came on and stayed on just fine. Continued to drive around town on various roads (bumps, etc.) and each time I engaged overdrive (between ~60-70kmph it worked great. Decided to go for a blast on the highway - engaged overdrive ~70kmph, came on fine, eased up to ~105kmph and it disengaged itself. Everytime I tried to engage it again between ~90-110kmph was a failure. Screw that, took the next slip road off and at ~80kmph engaged it and it worked fine, WTF! Drove home between ~60-70kmph and overdrive is working just fine. Ok, so it appears to not be working over a certain speed - could this be gearbox switch related?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:37 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

The OD problem could be a couple of things. First up - the switch you speak of is the 4th gear lock out and it is a ground that engages through the gearbox when 4th is engaged. This prevents OD from functioning in any other gear except 4th. It’s pretty much bomb proof. As for the running, remember this is a marvel of British engineering - so it is a complicated as it comes and somehow manages to work most of the time.

Here are the things that can go wrong. The solenoid that controls the hydraulic pressure in the OD (engaging the OD mechanism) can be subject to wear - especially the O-Rings. It's easy to repair and replace, but not cheap. Given that you can get it to engage - it's probably OK.

What you are describing sounds like the OD is refusing to engage at specific speeds (speed dependent correct?). This may be the solenoid as these things have two coils in them – one to pull the coil open (the big coil) and one to hold it open (the holding coil). They can get flakey over time. So with everything quiet in the garage, first remove the glove box and locate the relay that controls the OD. Shift into 4th and hit the switch. If the relay clicks away and doesn’t flake out (mine use to when hot) – then electrically you’re OK. Then go under the car and have someone hit the switch and listen for the solenoid to engage. There should be an audible click. If not, check for 12V at the wire and make sure the ground is good. Without a pressure tester, this ensures that, at the outset, nothing is wrong electrically.

If this all checks out – then hydraulics are the next problem. First up, I would drop the fluid and change it to the recommended fluid (ATF fluid – Type F IIRC, I run Redline MTL). T here is a lot going on hydraulically in that unit and part of it is based on pressure limits etc. If it engages only at certain speeds it could be that the internal pressures are not in the right range. This is easier to explain with one pulled apart. But basically, if changing the fluid and filters (and yes you do have to get a spanner wrench and pull one of the plugs out from inside the case – there is a filter inside that needs cleaning) and replacing the basic O-rings doesn’t work – then the problem is beyond what can be fixed without an expert.

Pull an M46 from the JY and R+R the OD and transmission, and install. In fact, I think Athal may have one for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:51 pm 

The switch on the transmission DOES wear out though, I've had it happen a couple of times. As the switch heats and cools it can lead to varying contact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 pm 

Well, what do you know, driving to work this morning overdrive worked and stayed on for the whole highway commute at ~95kmph although as soon as I hit 100kmph it disengaged, but worked fine again at ~95kmph. Off the highway though, in a 70 zone, it would not work. Wouldn't work on the drive home at all, either (absolutely nothing happening). Had another quick look and wiring is the same as I left it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate all the help I can get as I'm not as techie as I sometimes make out! :prayer:

Where is, and is there easy access to the gearbox switch? I'd like to try the solenoid test if I can get at the switch. As for 'clicking', on the road it's random (regardless of speed/temperature); clicks and engages (sometimes disengages a second or seconds later), clicks and doesn't engage, or doesn't even click at all. I don't have axle stands yet so getting under the car isn't possible for me, yet... Same goes for the fluid change, for the mean time anyway.

To be honest, I'd like to say overdrive is speed dependent (especially after my test last night) but after today, and thinking back, whether it works or not is just, so, so random. I really think it's something as stupid as two wires touching each other somewhere (depending on general movement of things) but I don't know.

If it's a matter of pulling the box to get inside, that's a bit far fetched for me to be honest - if that's the case I'll have to live with it!! I think I read online about the filter sometimes being a suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:17 pm 

Check the wires from the switch to the OD relay at the shifter - they can wear through in that point. There is no easy way to reach the 4th gear switch - I changed one last year on my 242 and it was a total PITA to get in and out (then wasn't the problem). I was having relay issues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:51 pm 

I've been shopping at Pick-n-Pull... :o I've always wanted a set of these quad headlights and couldn't believe when I came across an old beat up 244 with them still fitted. The rectangle set-up is pretty common and I just didn't think it suited the 2-door; the squares look hot on a Wagon though. Anyway, the circular lamps don't pop up to often so I pulled four spares from an old BMW. I also fitted orange turn signal lenses, just because I love them; far nicer than the clear type and I've never been big on the half clear / half orange type.

Image Image Image

Other than that, bought a 'Volvo' Nevada license plate on eBay, some prancing moose and high KMs stickers from Dave Barton and a RWDVolvos.org window sticker from another website I'm on. I got three spare Virgos with the car (I think one has a bent lip though), but if I can source another one I might paint them up black ready for fitment of Winter tyres!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:10 am 
I can fix the world

It's beginning to look more and more like my old car haha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:59 am 

Edicius wrote:
It's beginning to look more and more like my old car haha

Do you have any pictures? :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 am 
I can fix the world

Here it is close to the end of it's life

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:55 pm 

I like that flat front. :) Was the black body the original color? I've always wanted to put red steels with white walls on a grey Austin Mini. :| Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:19 pm 
I can fix the world

It was originally black, the guy before me had it repainted black with a silver flake in it. It looked awesome until the rust got the better of it. I loved the flat front and the hood was chalkboard paint :p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

That hood lives on Alex' 245 now :)

it's so sweet.

:mrgreen:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next