Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Volvo 850 Project...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:36 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Looking really good, Ahmad.

Do you want some Bilstein HDs for that car of yours? I'll be pulling some off my wife's 850 in the next couple-few weeks. I don't know what you've got for dampers, but the Billys were really nice in her wagon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Ugly Duck wrote:
Looking really good, Ahmad.

Do you want some Bilstein HDs for that car of yours? I'll be pulling some off my wife's 850 in the next couple-few weeks. I don't know what you've got for dampers, but the Billys were really nice in her wagon.

I am currently running some KONI FSD struts, and shocks, coupled with Eibach lowering springs, they come as a set coupled together from Koni. I barely have a year on them (probably less than 7,000kms) and they are great...

How many kilometers on the Bilsteins and what would you be looking to get for them? Any particular reason you're parting with them? I wouldn't mind having a spare set around, you never know what might come up...

Either way feel free to pm or reply here...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:08 pm 

We're parting out her car, Craig's taking the engine & electronics, and I'm just trying to get a few bucks from the rest. No idea how many miles are on the dampers, I got 'em from James in Portland who rescued them from a JY down there. I think I paid $250 for them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:56 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So figured I would add some updates to this thread...

Did some work to the interior...
Out with the old...

In with the new...

So I took this out...

To accommodate this...

And got these...

To replace these...

Then I came across a deal I couldn't resist, so out came the HRC 20G, and this is what will be going in...

Old turbo water coolant lines, were nothing more than a banjo fitting to a barb, with rubber hose running back to water pipes, and this is what happened... They didn't leak at all and had been in there for ~8months undisturbed, but were extremely brittle and were destroyed while I was taking out the 20G turbo...

So the new turbo gets these for coolant lines...

Custom lines made by Greenline hose & fitting...

Its all coming together in the next day or two, just waiting on some items to come in the mail... And once she's all bolted up and back on the road I will make sure to get some vids and pics of the final install...

Stay tuned and feel free to comment...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:54 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So more updates...

So last week while I was waiting on parts to arrive, I got bored and painted the valve covers. In this pic I had installed the intake manifold using this gasket (http://www.snabb.us/Poly-Intake-Manifold-spacer_p_93.html)

New Injectors installed...

Had to remove the windshield washer reservoir, and relocate it to the driver's side, to allow for IC piping to be routed throttle body on new manifold. IC Piping came up through an enlarged opening of where the old windshield washer reservoir filler neck used to be...

Installed New Throttle cable to go along with the new throttle body...

Where the windshield water reservoir ended up...

Took apart the new turbo, as I needed to drill and tap a port for boost reference...

Enlarged the waste-gate opening...

Turbo put back together

Relocated the battery to the trunk, and placed a power distribution block (well a couple of them)...

Turbo installed into the car with relative ease...

Old mating flange, needed to be changed out to ta v-band to mate to new turbo flange...

Turbo oil drain line, and coolant line, from underneath the car...

Cold side of IC piping, as it exits the IC and pops up to the throttle body...

And how she sits all put back together...

She runs pretty good, but have had two minor issues, first my wideband stopped working, so I picked up a new sensor, today, will install that once I get home today.

Second issue, I installed the same feed line, that I had used with the HRC 20G, which was a -4AN line (3feet or 4 feet), goes into the turbo via the same -4AN to NPT adapter, on the Garrett its a 1/8" NPT port in lieu of the 1/4" on the 20G. And for some reason I had some smoking issues, so my first impression is was to check the drain line to see if its kinked anywhere, but no, so I will be installing an oil feed restrictor...

Other than that, summer will probably go on today, and then I can star tuning for the larger injectors, larger turbo and how the manifold interacts with the setup...

Once I have everything where I want it, will get her back on a dyno and will post more pics and maybe a vid or two...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:26 am 

Wow. Ahmad, I just can't WAIT to hear how this thing runs! I'd love a ride in it too. Looks FAST! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Ugly Duck wrote:
Wow. Ahmad, I just can't WAIT to hear how this thing runs! I'd love a ride in it too. Looks FAST! :twisted:

Once I get all the last little details ironed out, you got it...

You'll know it's ready when I post new dyno results or vids of how she's running.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So a quick update...

No vids yet...

Have been diagnosing this darn smoking issue...

Redid the drain line, and it still smoked...

So tackled the breather system. I have been venting to a catch can using a 3/8" line that would normally run to the PTC, the catch can is vented to atmosphere. This setup was fine for the 20G and would not smoke under most circumstances (99% of the time). There was the odd puff here and there, so naturally I dismissed it when so many different people commented on crank case pressure...

Well I was wrong, so here is the new setup.
Off the same line that runs of the stock box, but expanded it to run a 5/8" line to the first of two catch cans...

Here you can see the 5/8" line running into the catch can, and instead of venting directly to a filter off this initial catch can, I run off the top port to the second catch can (a modified coolant reservoir tank)...

The secondary catch can is vented through a filter to atmosphere...

Then I went to the line that normally connects to the valve cover, under the spark plug cover. and right where it makes a 90degree turn to go to the stock box under the intake manifold, I inserted a 5/8" T connector, so that I can vent the cam cover as well, that T connector runs directly to the secondary catch can (coolant reservoir )

Before running this secondary catch can, and secondary vent line, and up sizing the original vent line, I focused on reworking the turbo's drain line, I tried every configuration possible... I finally settled on reworking the cummins drain line (http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/0307-59l-cummins-commonrail-stock-length-turbo-drain-tube-p-33779.html) so that it bends right at the mating flange, if you notice in the link the line goes from the flange and doesn't go straight to the flexpipe, but there's a 1" section of line that is straight pipe, I had to modify this so that the flange went directly onto the flex-pipe, I didn't take any pictures of the line, as I was just eager to get it back together, but I had it to a point, where in it didn't work I started to look for other culprits causing the smoking issues... Next was the oil feed line, I ran the newly rebuilt turbo initially with a 0.08" restrictor then I went with a standard 4AN fitting (unrestricted), then I finally went with a 0.065" restrictor, and all eventually smoked at some point, never at idle, but upon take off from a light or a stop, or under decel or under boost.

Here are the two fittings side by side, 0.08" on left and unrestricted on right

Now I am currently running a 90degree unrestricted 1/4 JIC to 1/8NPT fitting, kind of like this one, http://www.mrostop.com/ccctxs-parker-male-male-extra-long-degree-elbow-p-32908.html?osCsid=4684cb8b77efee47505589aa4041c3a5

I also installed my summers, I had recently purchased some Hankook Ventus K104 (http://www.1010tires...ntus%20Sport%20K104), predecessor to the K110 (V12), The grip is amazing with these tires...

Either way, I am blown away by how this thing performs, I am getting to a point where TT adjustments are very minor, and this was the first time I really pushed this thing with the new setup, the new intake manifold and turbo are finally getting the use that they deserve, and boy do they deliver...

I will be sure to post a vid soon, because, this thing is a beast... I cant wait for my next dyno, already have her booked for May 26th... I should easily be able to get over 350whp with the way she's running now, and to be honest, I won't be happy unless I have a minimal 360whp...

And unlike the 20G, this turbo loves to live in the 20+ psi range. The 20G was great but anytime I ran 20psi or more, you could feel it just wasn't as efficient, to a point where most of my summer driving was set to 18psi. It could also be a combination of the new intake as well...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:23 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Just read this thread - amazing.

I've got a 00' V70R with the 19T (261 HP rated) and I'm impressed by the power - I can't even imagine what your car feels like now!

Nice work on pushing the envelope.

Out of curiosity - do you post your previous / replaced mods for sale anywhere in particular?

Rabin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

bean wrote:
Just read this thread - amazing.

I've got a 00' V70R with the 19T (261 HP rated) and I'm impressed by the power - I can't even imagine what your car feels like now!

Nice work on pushing the envelope.

Out of curiosity - do you post your previous / replaced mods for sale anywhere in particular?

Rabin

00 V70R must be a blast... AWD, please tell me its a manual...

Thanks for the compliments, Rabin...

Well if you're really interested in how it drives send me a pm and I'm sure we can arrange something, same goes for you Matt... I would still like to wait till I dyno it and I'm sure the tune is good, but I am simply amazed by this thing at this point... 17-18psi this thing is a monster, 20psi, is simply amazing, and one night I ran it at 22psi 3 or 4 pulls, and over two weeks later, I still don't have the words to explain it...

I will be going over every inch of it this weekend, because next weekend (Saturday May 26) is when it goes in to be dyno'd and final tweaking of the tune...

As for my previous parts, I normally don't post them up for sale, in most cases, there's another forum (volvospeed) that I'm a member of, and typically when I mention upgrades, I'll get a load of pm's requesting pricing on parts that I just took off. Even still my garage is currently full of stock, and upgraded components, so if you have something in mind feel free to pm me. The odd time I'll throw something up on Kijiji but it would have to be generic enough to have a practical use in other applications...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:58 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So did my dyno this past Saturday (26th) horrible numbers... didn't even break 300whp... my car didn't run in any way shape or form like it does on the road. So I will be getting it redyno'd at the last place I went to prior to this. I keep taking suggestions from local guys about whats the best place for tuning and dynoing, and its just not happening, so gonna stick with what i know... Just everyone's incredibly busy right now so trying to get dyno time is next to impossible. I don't even know what the big deal is, the weather isn't cooperating and our local track shut down :(

On a brighter note, here is the vid I promised so long ago... (better late than never). Been a little bit busy, but I needed someone to hold the camera while I drove...
http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/?action=view&current=M2U00262.mp4

Enjoy and as always feel free to comment

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 am 

That's wierd, but stranger things have happened. Sometimes humidity/temperature/fuel all work against you, and your car just doesn't run the way you normally see. Then again, that normally happens when it's hot & humid, not cold like it's been. Still...

Keeping in mind, however, that some dynos are stingy with their numbers, and keeping in mind that some operators are generous with their corrections. Turbo cars don't respond the way that NA cars do to elevation, temperature, humidity, and smaller high boost engines respond differently than do larger, lower boost ones. The point is, you're not 100% sure how these dynos figure your numbers out, so don't get too hung up on a disappointing number from a new dyno.

Going back to a known dyno is probably the best bet for apples to apples comparisons between old and new equipment & tunes.

Having said that, PM coming your way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:04 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Update...
I get a call today saying that they have a cancellation and my appointment for tomorow (Friday Sept 14) can be pushed up to today if I want??? huh??? I was caught off gaurd, as I had no recolection of my appointment. I dragged my sick ass out of bed, and headed down to the car wash to wash it down, and added some gas (94 Ethanol blened premium, is all she gets), and headed down to the shop...

I was there at about 2:30 this afternoon and I don't think we did our first pull till almost 3:30...

He asked me what I was expecting and I said I have been so dissapointed as of lately, so honestly if I can duplicate the results that I had with the 20G (~330whp), then I would have been contempt...

I have four Setpoints on my boost controller
SP1 is wastegate actuator pressure, ~12psi
SP2, is ~17.5psi
SP3 is ~19psi
SP4, is ~21psi

SP1 run, the dyno operator only ran it upto 6000 rpm, because it was the first run, and he was making sure everything stayed put...
SP1 upto 6000rpm:
I didnt' get a printout of this pull, but the video shows that I got 254whp and 294wtq

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/M2U00299.mp4

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/M2U00300.mp4

Next time around was SP1 all the way upto ~7000rpm...

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/M2U00302.mp4

Next up was SP2 all the way upto ~7000rpm...

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/M2U00303.mp4

Next up was SP3 all the way upto ~7000rpm...

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/M2U00304.mp4

Next up was SP4 all the way upto ~7000rpm...

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/hamadajones/Vids/M2U00305.mp4

All runs over lapping each other...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:30 am 

Yeahhh! Now that's more like it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 am 
First volvo in outer space

WOW!!!! :shock: Congrats, nice to see it come together.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next