It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Volvo 850 Project...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Ugly Duck wrote:
Yeahhh! Now that's more like it!

Tell me about it... Finally numbers that actually reflect how this thing drives and feels... Thanks...

Quote:
WOW!!!! :shock: Congrats, nice to see it come together.

Thanks...

I knew I wasn't going to be disappointing when I saw what it did on my actuator pressure (SP1)... I knew it could only get better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Whoa!!! :shock: Very nice!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:15 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

volvoshredder wrote:
Whoa!!! :shock: Very nice!!

Thank-you, believe me I'm just as shocked as you, and yet very pleased....

Also I did some digging to look up one of my first dynos (at the same shop and on the same dyno, as the latest run) when I had the 19T turbo, the largest of the TD04 turbos, I believe this made its way from Volvo on to the 2000 V70R and this is what I could extract out of it.

Direct comparison

This here is living proof of what the limitations of the TD04 family of turbos are, and what the white block engines can handle, with the right bolt-ons...

Peak torque with the 19T @ 3900rpm vs T3/T4 @ 5000rpm

Peak HP with the 19T @ 5550rpm vs T3/T4 @ 6500rpm

Useable power-bands.
19T: ~3000rpm to 5700rpm
Current: ~4000rpm to 7200rpm

My 19T setup red-lined by 6400rpm (if memory serves me correctly), but it would have been pointless for me to rev it up past 5800rpm, where as now this thing pulls all the way to 6500rpm and I currently red-line at 7200rpm and typically shift at 7000rpm. All n all as much raw, lumpy power as the 19T had, my current setup far exceeds it in useable power, the smoothness of the torque delivery with current setup allows me to effectively punch it in second and keep going straight vs the 19T which would have me going everywhere but straight... and I would say my engine internals are happier with my current setup, I did run the 19T for almost two years, and this is still the same engine, and I had some questionable moments along the way, but I would say none like when I had the 19T on there...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:29 pm 

=D> =D> Awesome - looks like a very nice HP curve. What's the torque look like?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

122_Canuck wrote:
=D> =D> Awesome - looks like a very nice HP curve. What's the torque look like?

Thanks Craig...

I assume you are referring to my new dyno pull, in which case the solid light blue line is HP, and the dashed light blue line is torque...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 pm 

Ya, I missed that part (too tired, must not post while tired). Can you post the before results?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

122_Canuck wrote:
Ya, I missed that part (too tired, must not post while tired). Can you post the before results?

So are you still tired?

Just kidding I actually posted my dyno pull directly 4 or so posts above... It's from when I had a 19T, from 3 years ago. My dyno with the HRC 20G is posted on the previous page, this was before the Garrett and the custom intake manifold...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:58 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Sad Day :(
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1996-Volvo-850-Platinum-Edition-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ422816994

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 am 

Whaaaaa? After all that work! What are you moving on to? Geez the club is getting even thinner!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am 
First volvo in outer space

swedishmeatball wrote:
Whaaaaa? After all that work! What are you moving on to? Geez the club is getting even thinner!

I posted in the FS thread already but to echo Athal's thoughts, sorry to see you leaving the Volvo scene, without your push the cruise wouldn't have happened.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

swedishmeatball wrote:

I know I know...

Truth is, I rarely drive her anymore. The cruise, was my last way of saying farewell to her... She still put a smile on my face... I daily drive an 07 Acura TSX, and was probably thinking of upgrading to something newer for my daily driver. As it stands right now, I park my 07 Acura TSX on my drive way, while the Volvo gets a spot in the garage (wifey has other spot in garage). If I was going to get something newer, 2012+ I would feel pretty ridiculous putting a brand new car outside while a 17 year old car, got the benefits of a heated garage. I don't think I even put 2-3000 kilometers on her this year...

Really a shame to let her go after all that work, but facts are facts

Some thoughts on newer cars, possibilities:

http://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/deals/ontario/downtown-acura/2012-acura-tsx-a-spec/?promoid=123807
This is the same car as the special edition in the states, but more exclusive in Canada as the A-Spec (A-Spec comes only in Black or Pearl White, and with same rims in above link)
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2012-acura-tsx-special-edition-review/

Or...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/1204_2012_audi_s4/viewall.html

I have driven both cars recently along with a slew of others, and it comes down to this...

Do I go with the brand name that I know and trust a dealership and service that have been phenomenal, this is Acura of-course.

Or take thinking completely out of the equation and truly turn to the dark side, aka AUDI...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

woodenshoes wrote:
swedishmeatball wrote:

I posted in the FS thread already but to echo Athal's thoughts, sorry to see you leaving the Volvo scene, without your push the cruise wouldn't have happened.

Thanks Jim, for your comments in both sections of the forum... I truly didn't expect this either, but it seemed so fitting that after the cruise she would be going into storage, and who knows whats gonna happen next year. This isn't my first time toying with idea of letting her go. It came up about two years ago or more... different reasons then, and I am completely glad that I kept her and saw her through to what I had once envisioned. But this time is different, I don't have anything motivating me to sell her other than the fact that it would be a shame for her to sit in my garage or on my driveway or in storage somewhere, when really she could be enjoyed by someone else...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 am 

So sad to see this one go...no room or funds right now our I'd be really tempted. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

122_Canuck wrote:
So sad to see this one go...no room or funds right now our I'd be really tempted. :cry:

Make the room for her, and as stated in my for sale posting, I would give any legitimate CVC member (doesn't get more legitimate than you) a great deal, my biggest concern isn't for money (its at a loss anyways), but finding her a good home...

Once I take possession of my new car, sadly she'll will be parked outside, something I haven't done since I've owned her...

I'm in no rush for the money... So if you are really interested I'm sure we can work something out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Car sold today, just minutes ago. :(

On that note I have a ton of stock parts, essentially free to a good home.
Rear seats
Rotors
Calipers
Grille
Sway bars
Interior trim (sun visor, handles, etc)
Probably a bunch of stuff that I can't think of at the moment...

If you want anything let me know ASAP, as I'm probably just going to throw it out within a week...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next