Change font size
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: ** NEW USERS, READ THIS PLEASE **
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:57 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Attention all new users!

You will be allowed to lurk on the forums and to view everything, but you will not be allowed to post until you contact one of the Moderators (names in green, like mine) with a Private Message requesting access. We will get back to you ASAP, but I personally do not always get a notification email about a new PM so you may be waiting a day or so to hear back. Please be patient. (To see all of the Moderators, scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page and click "The Team" link on the right).

When you are granted access, you MUST post something within a couple of days or else you run the risk of having your account deleted. Periodically (but not regularly) we delete all users with 0 posts, whether they're a new member or not. By posting in the "Saying Hello" thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2980) or in any of the other threads, you will secure your account and protect it from these cleanings.

We get a LOT of spammers and have had to enact some pretty primitive countermeasures, otherwise we'd get hundreds of junk posts every day. Our forum software is pretty old...

Thanks, and enjoy the forum!
The Team

Post subject: Re: ** NEW USERS, READ THIS PLEASE **
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hi again, folks. I'd just like to post a quick message for the benefit of newcomers:

Welcome to the forum. You'll find it pretty quiet around here, but that's okay. We're friendly.

Thanks to Facebook Groups and Photobucket, both of which have done a lot to damage the activity of this type of forum, our daily contributions have dropped significantly. Being somewhat local enthusiasts in a province of dwindling car culture, and being somewhat rare in that we're enthusiasts who drive Volvos, each member's presence is felt and is noticed when absent. The youngsters who had a 740 Turbo because it was an RWD turbocharged car they could afford sometimes grow up, get married, have kids, and let their old toys go. Sometimes as the kids grow up and move out the enthusiast discovers an old Volvo and decides to tinker again with a project car, and needs some advise. And probably your situation is different again.

Those who are currently hanging around Calgary Volvo Club have a growing but considerable amount of grey hair, and we're largely working on long-term hobby projects in between other life commitments. The high concentration of experience leads to a lack of questions, so our posts have been coming rather infrequently and probably don't have much to do with anything you want to learn about. Presently one of us is learning all there is to learn about fiberglass molding and replicating panels in carbon fibre, one of us is learning the ins and outs of paint & bodywork and general restoration, and a couple are constantly fine-tuning their cars to eventually get them on the road. We're quietly honing our own skills rather than seeking guidance, and the vast majority of us are working on and posting about Amazon/Canadian/122s, which speaks to a limited audience.

But we're all experienced in many other aspects of the hobby. We've all owned other Volvos, and we've kept in touch with members who don't frequent CVC but who can be of assistance if required. We've also owned and worked on considerably more than Volvos so have seen how things are done in general, for better or for worse. A high ratio of our membership have experience with CAD design, welding, machining, fabrication, metal work, body work, and with some seriously esoteric vehicle history. Calgary Volvo Club has amassed a number of posts from older projects and problems, and if you search our history you may find something that interests you.

So again: welcome! Speak up, introduce yourself, spark up a conversation. It might take a bit to gain traction and it might never, but without our new friends it stays a bit quiet around here. Our goal is to sustain a body of information and experience as a legacy for people who might find it useful or interesting, and we welcome your input. I promise that nobody here will mind if you resurrect an old thread: we'll probably have to tell you that the original poster is no longer around or no longer has the car, but we might be able to help you track down the answer you're looking for. I promise that nobody will judge you for your car - if it's a rusty daily driver you're trying to keep on the road, if it's a pure restoration attempt, or if it's got more components from other cars than it retains from original: it doesn't matter. Heck, it doesn't even need to be a Volvo (I've taken some liberty with that, why can't everyone else?)

Jump on in!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]