Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Getting desperate.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:46 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

14 yr old grandson has started working on the 544. Going to rebuild back brakes first and all bushings are being changed over to poly from IPD. IPD has sure cut back on the parts they carry for 544/122 volvos tho. Wanted that cast aluminum valve cover they had but it seems to have been removed (from their site anyway). Was thinking of phoning and see if there are still a few kicking around.
Does anyone know of someone with a left front fender. Mine's pretty much shot. It could be recovered but will take a lot of welding and metal forming. Would rather just replace it if I can. VovloWorld in states has deleted the 544 and 122 of its parts list now also so now I'm in a fix of trying to find a windshield. Crystal glass doesn't carry it anymore either and is not willing to check if any available anymore. If anyone out there can help me, please post. Getting desperate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unvolvo is 1968 Austin Mini Estate (daughter claimed it, hasn't started it yet)

Post subject: Re: Getting desperate.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

It's hard to believe that IPD discontinued the valve cover, but I couldn't find any listing on the website. Guess I should start making the ones I've designed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm 

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z363110022

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:16 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Hey there, anybody. I found a Volvo parts outlet online that is based in Sweden but has an outlet in North Charlston, NC, USA.

VP Autoparts Inc.
3225 Fortune Drive, STE B
North Charleston, SC 29418-8476
USA
Tel: +1 843 760 0170 Fax: +1 843 760 0172
VPInfo@Bellsouth.net
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/

They specialize in PV 444 - 544, DUETT 445 - 210, AMAZON 120 - 130 - 220, P1800 - S - E - ES, 140 - 164 series, 240 series and have pretty much everything including replacement or rebuild kits for certain items. IE: brake cylinders etc

and just for you Volvord they also do Ford Mustang 64½-73. Now how they got mixed up in that I don't know. Someone in the company must like them.

Has anyone in the club delt with this company and if you have, what was your experience like. I found a windshield for approx $156 Cdn although all prices are in Kroner and you have to convert to find out our price. Right now a Kroner is worth about 14.7 cents Cdn. Left front fender is still over $1100 Cdn though so steel is expensive. Would appreciate any info from anybody on these guys before I order the windshield.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:59 pm 

I'm relatively certain the catalog they use is exactly the same one Olof uses at Vintage Import where Matt is getting his windshields from. Do more searching and you'll find more outfits using the same catalog.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:20 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

I recently found these guys to possibly duplicate some NOS Peugeot rocker panels: http://www.alfaparts.net/index.html

Contacted them and they seem reasonable - I just to dig my panels out to take some pictures for Robin to see before he can comment on the costs.

From the list of items they do have - might be a viable option for a decent price. (No experience with them yet though!)

Rabin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Phoned IPD about cast aluminum valve cover. They lost their supplier but are looking for another so they can start carrying the part again. Said it could be a year or two tho. Hope not but then the car 544 has sat since 1980 so couple more years won't really matter and it's not like it's a major part to replace, 4 machine screws and ur done. They put me on a list but said it will be up on catalogue also as soon as they find supplier.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

14 yr old grandson took my brakes completely apart all by himself. Pretty proud of him. Anyway we found the brake cylinders to be completely oxidized, probably because of the silicone brake fluid mixing with the old fluid. I found some rebuilt front cylinders on Canadian Online Autoparts for approx $22 each but when I looked them up on VP Autoparts the front and rear brake cylinders had the same part number so I think I'm going to take a chance and order 4 wheel cylinders from our Canadian online store, they're cheaper but quite a ways. They also have master cylinders but I think I have to do a little more research to see which is the one I really need. Mine has the remote reservoir so I may have to just go by looks. They are all supposed to be for a 63 544 but are also marked as "universal". I imagine the master cylinder is just as corroded as the brake cylinders. What would be the best way to clean out the stainless steel lines. I already have the braided flex lines from IPD so just have to clean the steel lines. Was thinking of using a small brass brush on a wire to loosen anything up inside the lines then flush with pressure a few times each. Any better ideas out there besides replacing all the steel lines. My grandson is chomping at the bit to get this car running. He's given up on Street Wheeler run this year but maybe next year. Be neat to have both cars up there. He's helping his Dad get a AE86 Corolla ready for Street Wheelers also. Been gathering up GT parts like crazy for it but having trouble finding the limite slip diff. I know this is a Volvo forum but maybe some of you have a friend with a rusted out AE86 GT with a good rear end. Don't know much about 'rollas myself so not sure what he's really looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:54 pm 

If it were me, I'd just replace the hard lines if you're in doubt, cheap insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I think I kind of agree with you, canuck but I think we'll run some brake fluid through under pressure and see what comes out if anything. Need to order the brake cylinders and master also. Not even going to try to rebuild. Brakes just aren't worth fooling around with. Do it right or not at all. I've always told my kids your best friend in the car is your brakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:26 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Waiting for oldest son to bring over his flare wrenches to take the lines off the brake cylinders and master cylinder so we can match them up to make sure what I want to order are the right cylinders. Man, this project is going so slow waiting for my boys to help. I can't do much. Strokes have just about put me on inactive list when it comes to mechanics and I used to do it all myself including building a few engines pretty much from scratch. If ur waiting to see my 544 on the road, don't hold ur breath.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I found another supplier for finned aluminum valve covers for the B18/B20. The info is in another entry above this one under "cast aluminum finned valve covers for B18 - B20". They are out of California and cost a little over $200 which is still reasonable but cost to get it up here is definitely going to add to price.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I finally got a set of flare wrenches to continue to dismantle the brakes so I can order the right master cylinder rom all the universal ones out there. Hopefully will get brakes working then get to the make it go part. Have to motivate Grandson now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Well, now I am in a pickle, lost all the universal master cylinders that I found on the web and I don't think the wheel cylinders are the right ones. Might have to go south of the border. Bummer. [-o<

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]