Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: My ride of last friday (56k'er will hate me)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:31 am 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

I saw a nice sun when I did wake up, so I said to myself, screw the cleaning, I'm going out! (The routine, I said that for the last 2-3 months! :lol: ) So I headed up toward Yoho Park.

I made a kick stop at Horseshoe Lake to eat my lunch and refresh myself. :P

The Icefield Parkway is always nice, specially with a pure blue sky. But there was something in the air and my pictures are a bit palish.

I, surprisingly ( :roll: ), had my bike with me. It was hot, but not enough to prevent me from trying a new trail. Didn't went so far because of the heat, but it was enough to get a good idea.
It was really fun, specialy the downhill, except the fact that I did crush a poor little bird who crossed my path while flying. It's the second bird I kill this summer... :cry:

After that, I headed out for the Kicking Horse Valley Road (or something like that). What a nice road! That's what I call a real mountain road with its switchback, narrow road stuck between the river and the hill! 8) (But the Miette road is as good, but miss the swithback) I gave a little lesson of "short turning radius" to some amateur his small Toyota Corolla in this switchback! :lol: He could not turn it without backing out while O cleared it without even crossing the yellow line! :lol:

I ended up at the Takakkaw Fall (didn't even know that they existed! :oops: ) It was humid enough to cool myself. :D

On my way back, I really enjoyed the road once more. I even stopped to wait for the road to get clear! :lol:

While I was waiting for the traffic to get some distance.

Time for some fun! (ok, you all know my racing suspension and I do not have a death wish! :wink: )

I did stop by Lake Louise to eat my dinner before heading back.

On my way home, I took a picture of the spot that I think represent the better my idea of the Rockies before I moved in. For once, I didn't have the sun in my face! :D

It's amazing to see how a different lighting can change so much the way you see some stuffs. I use to see this spot with the sun on the other side. (first time that I do the Icefield parkway so late in the evening)

I did hit the 385,000km mark right after the last picture.

From that moment, the sun was too low in my face to take any decent picture, but it was great for taking backward pictures! 8) I really like that one!

As I said, the different lighting gave me a new look to what I'm used to see. The mountains that I see grey had a orange shade. (there's a lot of that on the Banff side, but there's none around Jasper, all the mountain top are gray (grey or gray?)

That was the end of my pictures, it was too dark for my cheap camera to take anything good. I was still on my way home and still had 100km to do before I could reach my bed.

That was a great day! Perfect to change my mind, burn my frustration from work (even forget that I work there! :lol: ) and take some fresh and pure air, and of course, to enjoy my Volvo! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:03 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Very nice, Steph!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 am 

Nice shots bud. as soon as i get my car on the road i'm going to start doing that too. i've had a new bike for a month now and i haven't even gone for a ride yet!

what a beautiful drive, i've done it many times too. always wanted to swim/dive in horseshoe lake too. those switchbacks to takawkaw are pretty tight eh! Fun except for when you meet an RV going the opposite way!

Don't suppose you got 7.xL/100km on that trip... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 am 

I was not stressed at all, so I got 8.36L/100km between Hinton, Yoho and Lake Louise where I put 35.1L (until it overflow) for 420km. :P (didn't fuel it yet for my return trip, but there was no traffic and a lot of wild animals on the road, so I drove a bit slower. It should be better.

I happy to see that at least some people actually do enjoy going to the mountains! :lol:

And what do you mean, as soon that you get your car on the road? Don't you have 3 cars??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:43 pm 

Hey Steph! I'm surprised you didn't get a picture of me in one of those shots! I saw you on the Icefiel Parkway close to Waterfowl Lakes around 8PM. I was in my Suburban heading south...

You went by and I said to my buddy that was with me..."Hey! I know that guy!"

He says..."sure you do...how many charcoal Volvo wagons are there?"

Anyhow...I guess I was right. I have a bunch of picture going the other way... :P

Good to see those pictures from Yoho. I spent a lot of time in that area before I had kids...Mostly hiking and fishing...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:08 pm 

I notice the Volvos I see, but not the Suburbans! :oops:

Yep! Good chances that it was me! I left Lake Louise some times after 7pm. It feels nice to be recognized! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:48 pm 

hey steph, are you coming on the big drive or what? me thinks you need to call in sick on friday if necessary, they owe you one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:54 pm 

Still supposed to. My friend from New Brunswick is supposed to come in august, so my plans can change but I should be able to come. (screw the boss)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]