Change font size
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: '88 740 parts car
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:20 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Ok, gauging interest.

I'll be down in Vancouver tuesday/wednesday next week, and if I"m lucky I might have half a day to screw around. This parts car is litterally 3 blocks from my parents house.

If there's enough interest and we can pool some $, I could make the guy an offer, hopefully it would drive to my parents garage, strip it and call a tow truck to haul it to the junkers.

Assuming it runs, and I can get the hood open, and the bits people want are in decent shape:

I'm willing to spend ~$100 on wiring harness, computers and AMM.

Vik, what will you chip in for the hood if I can confirm it's alu?

4 decent looking 15" dracos, i'll look closer for bends/rash/centre caps. Assume the tires are crap.

Anybody want anything else? Tan leather, not sure about the turbo, intercooler set-up, brake components, not sure about taillights etc....

it's automatic in case you were wondering as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:45 pm 

for me please check

hood
tailights
might be interested in 3 dracos...depending on shape

so put me down for something around a bill +/- 20-40

(that's $100 for those not 'with it'... :P )

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:36 pm 

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/136966615.html

ahhhh, another one!!!!! We just need someplace to work on it/ strip it. geminis!!!!!! euro headlights!!! Hell, a fresh block and someone could have a very nice car for cheap!!

why the hell can't we find cars like this around here???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:25 pm 

Wow! That's a nice looking car. Right next door to John... Would Westjet let you check a B230FT as baggage?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:30 am 

1600???? i was looking more forward to the other one...although gemini's are my dream wheel...

let's get both cars!!! :roll:

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:46 am 

well, if i had a place to work, some tools, and some help, I've no doubt I could get my $'s worth out of both of those vehicles. Hell, there's potential money to be MADE on that wagon if all you have to do is drop in a decent block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:27 am 
I can take anything apart.

Any of these 740 parts cars have a manual tranny ? I need a pedal cluster and the clutch cable, etc. Maybe even the tranny too depending on what it is and what version of Laycock it has on it if it's a M46. I think the '88 manual tranny bellhousing had provision for the crank position sensor that was used on later models but I'm not sure. If it does then all I'd have to do is drill out the spot where the sensor is supposed to go and tap some threads into it so the sensor can be screwed into it.

Also would want the shifter console if it's black and all the wiring and crap for the overdrive if it's an M46. Oh yeah, the front driveshaft too !

I need all this stuff to convert my 940 over to a manual tranny.

Roj

<|> You WILL be Assimilated
<|> Notwithstanding that, have a nice day. :)
<|>
<|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:30 am 

It's an M46, not sure about the OD, but it's either an '88 or '89 model year.

I talked to the guy again yesterday to let him know I'm still interested. Whether I offer him $ to part it out or not depends on if I can find a good used block for cheap to replace the high mileage one currently removed from it. If not, I'll offer him a lower price for parts and hope he takes it.

I could conceivably get the tranny and assorted parts, but that would require alot more work than getting the wheels, headlights and wiring stuff I was planning to get. Then there's the issue of getting all that stuff back to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 am 

well Athal if we need to raod trip it out there with a few people...i thnk it's worth it...

i mean for my Al hood (is it by the way forsure?) i would drive to get it

let us know!

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:23 am 

That's a different car.

THAT car may still be there, and if it is the guy *might* take 300 for parts.

My preference is to replace the block on the OTHER car and have a pretty nice 5spd turbo wagon to keep or sell, I'd rather not part it out.

Either way, if EITHER car gets parted out, it's going to require some figuring out how to get the bigger stuff back here.

Vik, I think I know what you're willing to chip in for the sedan if the hood is AL. Roj, what are you willing to pay for the tranny and associated parts if the other car gets parted and you can figure out what to do with all the parts IF I can find the tools and time to pull all that stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:43 am 

we should really just arrive saturday night...bring some lights and tools, rape these cars...then come home

:twisted:

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:32 pm 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
That's a different car.

THAT car may still be there, and if it is the guy *might* take 300 for parts.

My preference is to replace the block on the OTHER car and have a pretty nice 5spd turbo wagon to keep or sell, I'd rather not part it out.

Either way, if EITHER car gets parted out, it's going to require some figuring out how to get the bigger stuff back here.

Vik, I think I know what you're willing to chip in for the sedan if the hood is AL. Roj, what are you willing to pay for the tranny and associated parts if the other car gets parted and you can figure out what to do with all the parts IF I can find the tools and time to pull all that stuff.

This car is in Vancouver, right ? As far as getting the parts back to Calgary goes, you might be able to leave them with some friends of mine in Tswassen. I'm still waiting until I can go and get my 940 that I bought in Tacoma, WA so I can pick the parts up on my way home from Tacoma. Failing that, my Mom lives in Kelowna and the big parts can be left there if you can get them that far.

Apparently the bellhousings on '87 and newer 740s had provision for the crank position sensor and the '86 and later M46s on the 740s were P type so the tranny would be just what I want. Basically, I'd want everything off the car that I'd need to convert my 940 to a manual so the only other thing I'd need to do the conversion would be a flywheel from a '90 or '91 740 car w/ a manual tranny. I don't care if it's set up for a cable or hydraulic clutch. I'd need all of the parts that go with the clutch system in either case. I think I also need the entire driveshaft and the centre support bearing. See here:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/VolvoAW ... ersion.htm

How much would I be willing to pay ? Well, that's hard to say. How much do you think we could get the car for ? I'd be willing to pay my fair share of the costs up to maybe $600 - $700, I guess. Maybe a little more. That's assuming the centre console on the '89 is black. Less if it's not. I don't mind compensating you for your labour in removing the parts and transporting them to wherever but I don't want to end up having to pay such a large percentage of the cost of the car that everyone else gets their stuff for next to nothing either. Just so long as everything's fair and the cost of the parts car(s) are fairly divided amongst all the buyers, I'm cool with paying my fair share.

My phone number is 270-7319. Please give me a call so we can talk about this some more.

Thanks,

Roj

P.S. I like the wheels on that '89 740 wagon. Are those Dracos ? I'm not so crazy about the alloys on the 940 I bought. Does anyone want to trade a decent set of other 15" alloys for the the ones on my 940 ? Here's a pic of the car I bought.

http://www.autoextra.com/vehicledetail/ ... a/do-basic

<|>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:38 pm 

The first problem would be getting a tranny, driveshaft, etc, from where it is in the first place. I'm sure not loading into a rental car if I happen to be there for work. I *might* be able to use my parents wagon, or one of the volvo guys out there might be kind enough to lend use of their vehicles, but there's no guarantees.

I'll let you know what I figure out when I get back from holidays.

Regardless, those wheels (16" geminis) are certainly part of what i'd be paying for. Hate to break it to ya Roj, but 99% sure your car has steelies with some pimpin wheel covers there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:55 am 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
The first problem would be getting a tranny, driveshaft, etc, from where it is in the first place. I'm sure not loading into a rental car if I happen to be there for work. I *might* be able to use my parents wagon, or one of the volvo guys out there might be kind enough to lend use of their vehicles, but there's no guarantees.

I'll let you know what I figure out when I get back from holidays.

Regardless, those wheels (16" geminis) are certainly part of what i'd be paying for. Hate to break it to ya Roj, but 99% sure your car has steelies with some pimpin wheel covers there...

Well, try and do what you can. Try and at least get the pedal cluster and clutch linkage parts. Those cars probably have hydraulic clutches so I'd need the slave cylinder, lines and all that. And get the shift console from the wagon if you buy the wagon and it has a black console.

You got my number. Give me a call when you have stuff figured out. In the meantime I'll check with my friends in Tsawassen and see if it would be ok to store some stuff there for a while in case you're able to get the tranny and stuff for me.

Thanks,

Roj

<|>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:30 pm 

yeah those gemini's were my dream rim...but if i dont get these eikers i will get some 17's from work

so athal i assume you're not going after the other car then?

ciao

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next