Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Turbo to NA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:11 am 
Vmax 200mph w00t!

Ok, I talked with the ex and she said she would rather have better MPG than power (Now I know why are divorced! :P ).

Will it get better milage than with a turbo if I just put on the NA manifold and do nothing else. How low on power is this thing gonna be with the low compresion ratio?
Also, how would I plug the oil drain line? The others I could just use bolts/plugs correct?

Now, does anyone have a NA manifold they want to get rid of?

This may work out well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:08 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

You SOB!!!

I have a whole '89 B230F sitting on a stand. Ran great. Going to be giving it away or junking it. However, I just tossed the downpipe 'cause I figured I'd never need it (and it was one of those really crappy ones anyway)

Pulling the manifold off the turbo isn't going to give you a ton more economy, 'cause the compression ratio still sucks. It'll free up a bit of a restriction on the turbo side, and the fact that you'll never get into boost will help too, but you're not going to do much better on the highway than a turbo'd B230FT.

Plugging the oil feed is no problem - just need a plug. Plugging the turbo drain is something you might be able to do with a frost plug & some silicone for good measure. You can go ahead and add a manifold & downpipe from any non-turbo and it'll run great. Leave the IC & turbo airbox in there & you can just fashion up a rubber elbow to pull from the MAF, and you're set.

Or has anyone pulled that turbo from PYP yet? Did they destroy the feed & drain lines, 'cause that'll help you convert to a Garrett. I imagine you could use a B21FT turbo feed for a Garrett, maybe. The drain's different from B21FT to a B230FT.

By the way - a B230F has a full point more compression than a B230FT, so the B230F will have about 5% more power and about 10% better fuel economy than a de-turbo'd B230FT, all else being equal. Which they aren't - the M cam in the F engine should theoretically be slightly better for economy and worse for power than the T in the FT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:20 am 

turbo's gone, with the feed and drain lines. and someone haxxored all up the nice coolant lines while they were at it :evil:

I suggested one could make up oil lines like I did, bend up some 1/4" tubing and go with some kind of flex line on the drain. Course that depends if the turbo can accept fittings and you still need a few bits and pieces...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
I have a whole '89 B230F sitting on a stand. Ran great. Going to be giving it away or junking it.

don't do that...you never know!!!!!

ciao

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]