Change font size
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Building a tubing bender
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:07 pm 
Whost Pore

Since i fear the projects i'm working on right now are going to require a fair bit of tube-bending, i've decided to embark on building a bender.

Now, i'll probably do a pro-tools style HMP bender, or else a got-trikes style bender.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376183 (got-trikes)

http://favoriteprojects.com/how_to_buil ... bender.htm (hmp)

I'm leaning towards the trikes style bender right now, especially using one of those handy princess auto long-stroke air-hydraulic cylinders.

The tenative plan is to browse mcmaster-carr until i find the following:

A 1" hardenned shaft
A few brass bushings for this said shaft.

Now, i'll be spending probably 500+$ on the dies to do 1.5 and 1.75" tubing by the time you factor in shipping. Probably another 250$ or so in materials including the ram too. So it won't be cheap.

Now, the slightly-tricky part. The frame.

Most people have decent access to milling machines or else eye-ball it and end up with issues in binding/such.

I am planning to get it water-cut out of 3/8" plate (it's going to be effing heavy) and have it able to just about bolt-together (aside from the few things that need to be welded like the mounting points for the cylinder and such).

This will give me decent tolerances and quite a bit to work with.

Now, i have never played with brass bushings before, this is the question:

Can anyone tell me how they might work in this type of setup? I know the force is going to be much less than the yield strength of the brass bushing, BUT i don't know much more about how brass works in itself as a bushing, how it wears, what type of tolerances i'll need for 5000+psi on it. Can anyone shed some light here?

The whole thing is spurred on by the shops here wanting about 80$/bend at the cheapest, ontop of no liability if they mess up on the rather expensive material. I've tried to find some local car guys with a bender, but to no avail. I figure that in the grand scheme of things, if i do more than fifteen bends with it, it'll have broken even assuming i can make it all for less than 1k.

Post subject: Re: Building a tubing bender
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

I'd go with a hardened steel bushing and a high pressure lubricant (possibly with graphite and molybdenum bisulphide).

For what it's worth, my Hossfeld is is made of material quite a bit thicker than 3/8 plate.

I don't think the brass will last very long under such loads.

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:18 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Regardless, it's a pretty cool bender. I've got a pipe bender for NPS pipe, but it doesn't make very nice bends on, say, exhaust pipe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:40 pm 
Whost Pore

kk, it looks like i'm gonna build a trikes-style bender. can get the parts run off on a local plasma table for some beer and use the P/A air cylinder.

saweeet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

BTW, you can probably get off-the-shelf alloy steel bushings by using hardened steel drill guide bushings from a place like Fastenal. Another possibility is to get bearing races, we do that at work for the larger sizes (1.25" and up).

RT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:30 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I looked pretty hard at that kit - I know you're a student, but if it were me, I'd go with the kit and weld it up. I've learned the hard way that my time is worth something. Sure there is only $100 of materials, but for $200 some one else can drill holes and cut stuff to length etc for me at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:06 pm 
Whost Pore

yep, i've worked it out, the materials and time on the plasma table will end up running me about 220$ on the dot. add in the dies, cylinder and a couple hardened shafts and it's only around 800$ to do all i need. The welding is the small part of it.

Screw putting in the time it would take to make a bender that could take a bunch of tweaking to make work how i want it to.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]