Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Dale's birthday April 7 = Boston Pizza night April 9
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:05 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi, sorry I couldn't make it. My friend with the machine shop was delayed because he had to - go open a safe somewhere. He's also a locksmith. Anyway, we didn't get to it until about 7:30 on friday night, and the bolt was not finally extracted until just before 10:00pm. We drilled it out all the way through, then did some more heaten' and beaten' to no avail (well, it moved a BIT). So then back to the milling machine, and we clamped that #$^%!* cross-member down and drilled down one side of the bolt (more heaten' and beaten'...), then flipped it over and drilled down the other side. Suddenly the bolt climbed up the cutting tool, seized onto it, and stopped everything - after a minor panic we got the mill and the crossmember separated, and managed to pound that bolt out of there, with a shower of black rust.

It was rusted all the way through from one side to the other. Not much metal left of it after all the drilling - maybe 20%. It will enjoy a place of supreme disgust on my chamber of horrors in the garage.

I'm happy. That damn bolt has been stuck since ummm nov or december.

(Happy Birthday, Dale!!)

Jimbo

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4