Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Air Compressor Advice
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Like the title says I need some advice on buying an Air Compressor. I did a search and found a bit of discussion mostly related to going bigger for paint sprayer applications. I just want to get started out with something to run an impact wrench for now as spray painting isn't on the horizon. As luck would have it PA's new flyer just arrived and they have 4 listed, I am also going to have a look at Costco as they have a Kawasaki that comes with tools, hose etc.

What are the differences, pros/cons to "oil free" and "oil lubricated"? Also I am guessing a direct drive would be quieter and lower mtce. than a belt driven? Any brands I should avoid or look for, PA has 3 Power Fist (house brand) and a Powermate vs the KS at Costco vs Campbell Hausfield/Mastercraft at CT??

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Advice
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:44 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'll toss my 2-bits worth in...

First, I thing the direct drive units are terribly noisy compared to the belt driven ones although maybe I'm wrong on that assessment. Seems to me Craig had a dd unit in his garage when I met him and the thing would make me jump every time it started up...

I'm not sure I'd waste my time with a small compressor. Even though painting may not be in the plans, sandblasting may be. That will make most big compressors run full time. Ask Craig the frustrations involved when trying to use a small compressor for big jobs. Even running a die grinder will keep a big compressor running pretty steadily. A small compressor is fine for pumping up tires and spinning off lug nuts with an impact and running air nailers. Anything more and you'll be kicking yourself for not going big to begin with...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:17 pm 

Thanks for the feedback Dale, can you put some numbers to small vs big or a minimum cutoff? I had already more or less planned on the bigger one at PA that's 11 gallon and 6.0 CFM @ 40# and 4.0 CFM @ 90#. I also found this one used on kijji that looks to be a decent price for the size? He's asking $275 so I was planning on offering him $20.... :lol:

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s ... Z195729966

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:07 pm 

Hi Jim,

I'll give you $20 NOT to buy that compressor. The only thing that it will run is a nail gun. Dale is right on the money - my case is a sad example of cheapness costing a lot of money again. I bought a Craftsman with a 30 gal tank and X hp with around twice the capacity of the one listed. It was oil-less and terrible. Oil-less means that it is usually a single cylinder run at high speed to make up for lack of capacity. I'm pretty sure my 2-stage 60 gallon Quincy is the largest capacity compressor in the group (although Ian's may be larger) - I can run TWO dual action sanders at once as my 2-stage puts out over 15 SCFM at 175PSI. It will also do this all day long, and does so quietly and efficiently. In fact, when I was running my die grinder with my old compressor it would run full time, and would make a so much noise it was unbearable, now the big dog only turns on every now and again with the die grinder. It only turns on occasionaly when I'm painting.

The single stage compressors at 60 gal are all you need - they often make exagerated claims of CFM - so check carefully. My previous bad experience made me go over-board and by and industrial unit - I gave away my Craftsman. The tank of the compressor is like money in the bank, treat it as a buffer, not a measure of capacity. It will only buffer the system demands while you deplete that air. 2-stage is better than single stage as it compresses the air twice with an intercooler in between - but it cost about 40% more.

I would advise any home hobbyist to go with a 5hp 60 gal unit that is single stage made by a good manufacturer. This is a case where too much is just enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:27 pm 

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the in depth analysis of air compressors, far better than any other info on the manufacturers sites. I just checked the PA catalog and the 5 HP x 60 gallon single stage as you described is a penny shy of $1K :shock: :shock: Not sure where to go now, I just can't come up with that kind of money for something I don't use that much right now. I was really hoping to have a compressor to run an impact wrench to save some labor on all the winter rims that are staring at me right now... I guess I'll grunt them by hand and start saving my pennies. :(

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
I bought the Campbell Hausfeld 7 HP 60 gal from CT about 10 years ago and it has served me well.
I am sure this is the exact same machine just rebranded with their logo
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsAirTools/Compressors/PRDOVR~0587921P/Mastercraft%252BMaximum%252B60-gallon%252BCompressor.jsp

For the price it ihas been a good machine for my needs
I agree though, buy big and you will never be sorry, buy small and you will always regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 am 

This is one thing that you can find on Kijiji or Craig's list (no association :D ) - 60 gal compressors come up from time to time. A small pancake compressor will run an impact for a little while. I bought a 5 gal PA unit to do trim/framing nailing at home. It's worked great for years and I haven't given it away as it is the only portable compressor I've got. I've even painted with it using a touch-up gun and it will take lug nuts on and off - it just won't run a 1/2" impact for 10 minutes.

You could go that way - but remember the limitations. The good news is that when you buy a little compressor like that one, you're not thinking that it will power a DA sander/die grinder/proper paint gun. They are under $200. If you have ideas that are larger in nature, then save up. The 30 gal ones are the ones that tick me off - too big to be portable, to small to do large jobs and pitched at guys like me that want to save a buck and figure it would be enough compressor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am 

Thanks again Craig, the second paragraph nails it for what I am looking for and planning to do with a compressor. In the future if I get to the point of really getting in to bigger projects I can go the bigger route, for now I just need to take off some of the labor of the day to day stuff.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

I learned a few things:
-Avoid 1-cylinder oil-less units and craftsman brand seems unusually bad. I'd only buy one of those as a little pancake unit to run a nail gun or little air blower gun, and I'd buy it if I needed a very compact unit. Thankfully, friends had these so I avoided them before I bought.
-2-stage is very nice, but a decent belt driven single stage 2-cylinder unit that is well made is not bad.

In the end I got my old 2-cylinder single stage unit for $80 used. It is decently quiet and does about 8-9scfm. You can run it continuously, which it basically will running a die grinder or sand blasting (I don't sand blast at home...PITA IMO). Ingersoll-rand is good, but not the end-all be all either.

For impacts, I actually like battery powered electric ones. Snap-On makes a variable-force (and free speed I suppose) that is over 400-ft-lbs and can do 2 cars worth of wheel swaps on a single battery. There are some situations where an air gun would be a little more compact than the cordless with battery, but for most jobs on a volvo, 99% of the time with the right extension/swivel the cordless will do it and you don't have to trip over a line and can take it anywhere you like. Ingersoll makes their "titanium" gun that is similar in price and is very nice to use, though I'd still trade the extra bulk of the battery to skip the air line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:55 pm 

Ok, here's my two-bits, thanks to everyone-else for their's.

It sounds like you just need a little compressor for now. I've used a pretty small one for lots and lots and lots of things, including running an impact. A big, 60 gal 15 cfm one will of-course run less, etc.... but since you can't afford that, I'd recommend something as small as is still functional, but still portable - maybe as small as 5-gallons? Mine is oil-less (not sure how that works) and probably 30-gallon, so it is virtually impossible to move in and out of the house, and difficult to get in and out of the truck. I keep it outside the garage, and run a hose through the wall so when it is running I can still hear myself think. Your's would run even more, so I would consider that, as long as you have reasonably friendly neighbors.... I am told this is not such a good idea when it is below -5, but I do it anyway, and after two winters, it is still working.

Save your pennies, and maybe don't buy the cheapest thing on the market. If you need a bigger one, in the end having a smaller portable one (like Craig) might be a bonus. I can't advise you on where to spend your money, but you might avoid anything which is really cheap, and says "Made in China" on it.

If I'm too late, and you've bought something - I guess you have already figured-out what you needed to figure-out, and that's Ok too!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 pm 
I can fix the world

You should get this
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Hydrovane-Compressor-W0QQAdIdZ196758588

:p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 am 

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful comments and advice. =D> I ended up buying a CH with a 1.7 HP motor and 26 gallon tank at PA for $229, puts out 3.8 SCF/M @ 90 PSI. It's a refurb but it comes with a 1 year warranty and the price was right for the size. It's a vertical on wheels so it won't take up a ton of space and I can use it to blow out sprinklers etc. The manager at PA was really helpful as well, quizzed me on what I was using it for and tried to get me to buy the 60 gallon.... :lol: He basically said all of the same things everyone here said.

http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 646_10692_

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:12 pm 
Whost Pore

Blowing out a sprinkler system is usually done with a large construction grade trailer unit fyi

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:26 pm 

paperjam wrote:
Blowing out a sprinkler system is usually done with a large construction grade trailer unit fyi

Uhhh they were nice and dry the last xx years I've done it with a little stacked dual tank I rent from the local hardware. It just takes longer than having someone do it with a big unit, about 5-6 cycles from a full tank gets it done. I have 4 stations and it usually takes me ~ an hour with obviously most of the time waiting on the compressor to recharge.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 am 

I blow out mine with the crappy tire compressor I have too.

J

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next