Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: New to the Forum
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:11 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Hello There,

I am new to the Calgary Volvo Club Forum, but not the Volvo scene. I am an active member on other Volvo forums (volvospeed, they specialize mainly in fwd, 850, S70 stuff).

I figured I would introduce myself and a little about my car...

My name is Ahmad, I am an avid do it yourselfer (if that's a word), especially when it comes to cars. I have always had a great mechanical inclination, and as a result have always tinkered with cars. I started off with tinkering with the sound system or any DC voltage setup, whether it was rewiring a car harness, or stereo installation, or alarm, car starter, etc...

Eventually my hobby led me to under the hood projects, but never to the extent that has been contributed to my Volvo. This is mainly because it is my first turbo charged car.

The Volvo that I am proud to own is:

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Edition, I wont go into too much detail as to how rare the "Platinum Edition" is/ was.

I have modified the snot out of this thing...

Stock the car was: 220HP/ 220lbft of Torque, and that is now an estimated 335-340HP/ 400+lbft of Torque.
Car is now a 5spd manual opposed to the autotragic it once was...

I was recently trying to sell the car but have put that off in the mean time, I love this car too much to part with it. The extra coin would have helped out with our first home purchase, but all along I resented the possibility of having to sell it.

So now that I am continuing to be a proud Volvo owner, I figured I would get in touch with the local crowd and see if you guys plan any meets or get togethers.

I know Edmonton has theirs, but they are normally on Mondays... Hopefully that changes over the summer and maybe I'll make it out to one over the summer, and see what kind of crowd it is. I normally try and minimize my contact with Edmontonians (just kidding!!!).

Either Way, here are some pics, but will add nicer ones once the spring clean/ detail is done...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New to the Forum
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Damn, nice!

Check the discussion forum, there is a gathering this friday night. I'm going to try and organize a little drive on Saturday for whoever is around as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:51 pm 
I can fix the world

Welcome to the club, I saw this up on kijiji a couple weeks ago and thought it was really cool because I haven't seen one. Then the next day we had another platinum 850 come into the shop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 am 

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Nice looking car - we don't have many of the later cars on the forum, but need a few.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:05 am 
First volvo in outer space

Welcome to CVC!! I saw your car as well when it was up on kijiji and could see it was an enthusiast owned car, good for you to be able to hang on to it. :D

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Quote:
Damn, nice!

Check the discussion forum, there is a gathering this friday night. I'm going to try and organize a little drive on Saturday for whoever is around as well.

Thanks, this Friday might not work for me, but the Saturday drive might be a go, I'll stay tuned to see what happens.

Quote:
Welcome to the club, I saw this up on kijiji a couple weeks ago and thought it was really cool because I haven't seen one. Then the next day we had another platinum 850 come into the shop.

Thanks, oh and which shop is this? The only reason I ask is it might have been mine.

Quote:
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Nice looking car - we don't have many of the later cars on the forum, but need a few.

Thanks, and yes I do get the sense that this forum is for the oldies yet goodies kind of Volvos.

Quote:
Welcome to CVC!! I saw your car as well when it was up on kijiji and could see it was an enthusiast owned car, good for you to be able to hang on to it. :D

Thanks, and enthusiast is putting it mildly, if you ask the wife, she would say flat out obsession. I am not gonna lie with buying our first home, a little extra dough would have been nice but, at the end of it, I didn't feel right after putting so much time and effort into something that no one else was going to appreciate the way I do, or at least the way it should be.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments so far...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Welcome to CVC

Platinum850 wrote:
Thanks, and yes I do get the sense that this forum is for the oldies yet goodies kind of Volvos.

Olds one are all we can afford (although if you figure out what we have spent on them we would all be driving new)

Platinum850 wrote:
Thanks, and enthusiast is putting it mildly, if you ask the wife, she would say flat out obsession. I am not gonna lie with buying our first home, a little extra dough would have been nice but, at the end of it, I didn't feel right after putting so much time and effort into something that no one else was going to appreciate the way I do, or at least the way it should be...

You will fit right in ... no troubles at all ,,, we all have the same illness

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 pm 
I can fix the world

It wasn't yours, it was an auto. I work at the dealership

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:31 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

That's a really nice 850... I'm pretty sure I saw it on Kijiji... 8)

Our meets are changing to a Sunday afternoon this month, if you ever fancy the jaunt up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Quote:
It wasn't yours, it was an auto. I work at the dealership

I have seen a wagon but I had thought that mine was the only sedan in Calgary (still left), but you never know...

Good to know, I was worried you would come back and tell me that you were at Mr. Volvo (not a big fan). I stop into the dealer ship about once every 3 months (sometimes more frequently), to pickup regular maintenance parts, maybe I'll see you next time Im in.

Quote:
That's a really nice 850... I'm pretty sure I saw it on Kijiji... 8)

Our meets are changing to a Sunday afternoon this month, if you ever fancy the jaunt up!

Thanks for the compliments and if you are moving the meet to Sundays I might actually take the drive up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am 

Platinum850 wrote:
I stop into the dealer ship about once every 3 months (sometimes more frequently), to pickup regular maintenance parts, maybe I'll see you next time Im in.

Um, why do you buy regular maintenance parts from the dealer? Sometimes they aren't priced too bad, but most of the time, if you can get the parts other places, you can get them alot cheaper! FYI, a few of us have worldpac accounts and can get alot of stuff at cost...we also try and share orders when someone buys stuff from the US, which would be pretty good prices at the moment!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Platinum850 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments and if you are moving the meet to Sundays I might actually take the drive up.

Did you get the the email last week, I added you to the list! Our next meet is Sunday 25th April, 12noon. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Quote:
Um, why do you buy regular maintenance parts from the dealer? Sometimes they aren't priced too bad, but most of the time, if you can get the parts other places, you can get them alot cheaper! FYI, a few of us have worldpac accounts and can get alot of stuff at cost...we also try and share orders when someone buys stuff from the US, which would be pretty good prices at the moment!

By regular maintenance parts, I mean the oil filter (will only use volvo filters no FRAM crap), and crush washer, most other items i'll source through AutoValue, Napa, online, etc... No doubt the dealership is a little bit more but for a quality part. I will go with them. The filters are the only thing ill by from their. It may be a difference of $6-$8 difference from the generic brand to the actual volvo filter.

I'll keep that in mind if i need anything off of worldpac (i assume the same as FCP Groton, correct me if I'm wrong).

Quote:
Did you get the the email last week, I added you to the list! Our next meet is Sunday 25th April, 12noon. :)

I got the email, thanks for the heads up. Noon is a bit early, but I'll see if i can plan it out to be there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm 

Platinum850 wrote:

will only use volvo filters no FRAM crap

WorldPac doesn't sell Fram crap. They sell Mann filters who I believe makes the filters with the Volvo brand name on them...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
I can fix the world

Correct, Mann still makes the volvo oil filters.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]