Change font size
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Did I get ripped off?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:27 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Yes, automatic. Decided after driving it for a few days for work that an automatic isn't that bad...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:59 pm 

Makes sense. For a work car I'd do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 pm 

I'm discovering the transmission in it is an AW71 or 72 L. Not knowing much about automatic transmissions, can I use this torque converter in another transmission that was not equipped with a lock-up torque converter? The transmission I'm getting does not have a torque converter.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:32 pm 

The transmission that Alex has DOES have a torque converter, so the only issue (I can see) is if the converter is different between AW71 and AW72. With any luck the trannies are identical!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm 
Whost Pore

i'm sure i've got at least 2-3 torque converters and flex plates here somewhere in the scrap pile if you need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 am 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
The transmission that Alex has DOES have a torque converter, so the only issue (I can see) is if the converter is different between AW71 and AW72. With any luck the trannies are identical!

Alex told me it did not. Guess I'll find out when I get there to pick it up.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 am 

rockmonton wrote:
i'm sure i've got at least 2-3 torque converters and flex plates here somewhere in the scrap pile if you need.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm good. I've got a torque converter...the one that's in the car right now. I've also got the LH 2.4 flexplate that's in the car and another new one in the garage. The only issue is the unknown. I don't know if my transmission is an AW71L or an AW72L. Athal does not know whether the transmission I'm getting is an AW71L or AW72L. If they are both one or the other I don't have an issue. If we have one of each, do the torque converters interchange? Calling James....

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 am 

Hmm, ha, well I thought the tranny I bought off Alex was out of my old '93 945T, which I'm 100% sure had a lock up. Maybe that's not the one though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

You can change converters between non lockup transmissions and I've done that.

I've changed lock up ones only once between another lockup trans.

Never tried sliding a non-lockup one or mixing and matching those.

The ID tag by the oil pan will say "03-71L" or whatever. That is the one to look at. The one on the case is basically always stamped AW-72 or some such. It is usually covered in grime near/below the shifter linkage pivot more or less on the trans.

I like autos now for something I drive all the time. Easier on all the driveline and easier on the driver.

I like my 84 245Ti, but if I had it to do over again, it would definitely be auto, and like the cop car was: Shift kit, high stall and a 4.10 (stock). I miss how that car drove. Decent response even with an old B21fti, no shifting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:39 am 

Im a tard. I meant before that the tranny was an "L" version not that it had a torque converter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 pm 

The transmissions both say 03-71 but they have different letters under the 03-71. Guess we'll find out if the converters interchange. But...when I drained the tranny in the car I only got maybe 1.5L out of it. I know the torque converter holds some but I sort of expected to get quite a bit more fluid out. It was dark and smelling burned. I know the tranny was leaking but not that fast to go from way over full to way under in a week... :? Now I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with that transmission... other than the absent tail shaft bushing. [-o<

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:37 pm 
Whost Pore

Let me know how that transmission works out for you :)

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:29 pm 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
Im a tard. I meant before that the tranny was an "L" version not that it had a torque converter.

Interestingly that transmission doesn't have an "L" designation on the ID tag. It does look to have all the stuff necessary for a lock-up tc though. We'll see how they compare side by side once I get the other one disconnected from the engine...

The one that came out of the red car has 03 70L on its tag.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm 

Hmmm...didn't take a single picture... #-o

An engine swap later and the red car is terrorizing the streets again. Took a chance and wasted the new tailshaft bushing and even bought a rear seal for the transmission. You win some, you lose some. It's a pretty sick transmission even after I drained all the stinky black fluid out of it and replaced it with pretty red stuff. I don't think a full flush will cure this one. Hopefully a 16V 740 shows up at PnP sometime soon with a fancy schmancy AW72L. Still pretty sure I want to stick with the auto; particularly with this engine. Lots of torque so even without the turbo it moves along nicely. Stomp on it and it scoots right along. Will have even more torque when I get the T cam in there. Might even get better mileage. Too bad the 960 gets such crappy mileage in town. It's a lovely car to drive all day although the transmission will drive you batty at times. It's got more snap off the line than the 740 but I think the 740 would catch and pass it pretty quickly in a flat out drag race. The 960 is much smoother and quieter than the 740 though and that inline 6 will pull to 6 grand without a hint of vibration...

Anyhow...time to get the white wagon cleaned up and sold as well as the Versa and the trailer. Once all that is done I might have a chance to look at the 122 again...

Oh...and that other transmission had a different input shaft. I think the splines and cogs were the same but the one in the car had a longer snout. Don't know how much, if any, difference that makes but they are not the same transmission...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:47 am 

Maybe with that T-cam you'll beat the 960 off the line too! I still think it might be TOO torquey if you turn the boost up at all. You might also need to upgrade your octane too, I'd be awfully surprised if you didn't.
And from what I've read lately (thinking about AW7xL swaps myself) you don't want an AW72L. It's set up specifically for the 16V torque curve and the concensus from people who've tried it in turbo cars is that it just don't work (slips, lock up goes in and out, bad mileage, etc). I think you want another AW71L.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next