Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Recent goins on: deleting posts of first time posters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:05 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hey, Andy

I'm not sure how the rest of the people feel about it, and commenting isn't possible because you lock the threads that we mortals are unable to moderate, but personally I think it only benefits us when people sign up with the sole intention to buy or sell something. If these one-shot-wonders have something I've been looking all over the universe for, I'm sure gonna be happy that they've posted! I may have needed that 850 fuel pump for Roberta's car!!!

I also am not really enthusiastic about being represented in this way, being part of the group who seems to shun newcomers like that. I mean, it's a pretty crappy first impression when your first post on a forum is deleted either without explanation or with the only warning being in another thread. We've all done it - signed up on a forum to either buy something someone's already selling, sell something to them, or PM someone with a question. As someone who's experienced that, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth when I was moderated in that fashion.

If you really don't like it, maybe reconfigure the forum so that they can't post in either of the classifieds until after 10 posts, and put that little explanation at the top of those forums. I really don't see the problem unless they're being rude or harassing. If they're really a one-shot-wonder, they'll never be heard from again and the thread will drop away into obscurity, but if it's deleted, none of us can benefit from what the guy's selling.

I've said my piece.

Post subject: Re: Recent goins on: deleting posts of first time posters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:27 am 

I have to agree. If we were getting spammed with dozens of member doing this, I'd say we may have an issue. I've seen a two or three in the last couple of months. Hardly a problem. Not only does it eliminate a potential purchase for members, it also may eliminate potential sales for those of us who may be trying to sell off some of our bits and pieces. Membership is good. Until it becomes a real problem, leave them be...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 am 
I can fix the world

First of all. Thank you for the critism relating to this matter, I appreciate it when there is an issue and it can be resolved. I was attempting to change the marketplaces to do that and with this forum software it was supposed to automatically put people into the group that was set up for it...apparently not. As well, thank you for reading what I had posted on the marketplace regarding that issue. I would have liked to have been informed as per pm as people do in the past with me when there is a problem instead of being publically outed as you have done.

With that being said I will be selecting volvord (sorry Ian) as a new moderator for the boards to handle future issues and I will no longer be part of this forum because clearly I am unable to make everyone happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 am 
First volvo in outer space

I can see where you guys are coming from although I would go with the idea of not letting them post ads till they had 10 posts under their belt. It is a benefit I suppose for finding cars/parts etc. but most of us are scanning kijiji anyway and that exists for the purpose of buying and selling crap, the one timers really don't add anything to the forum and there has been the odd nuisance/scam ad in the past.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

I don't see the problem with people posting stuff as long as they aren't spammers and/or aren't rude, and/or dishonest.

Why do we want to discourage trade? Not everyone wants to chat a lot, not everyone wants to be an enthusiast, not everyone even wants an old volvo or old volvo parts. I don't see the problem with that provided it doesn't violate the above.

One of those people could be me. I don't post a lot and may want someone to delete my account. I may want to sell something in future. I own zero volvos and few rare volvo parts.

Perhaps the concern is that allowing people to trade so easily opens the door to spam, rudeness, and dishonesty. *shrug* Rude I may not like, but who is to say what is proper anyway? Dishonest isn't good, but better to give dishonesty forum exposure than let someone get ripped off on craigslist or the like. Our members should take pride in that they are good at dealing with rude, or dishonest people within the community as well as outside. Much of the world is full of spam, rudeness and dishonesty. I think a good community should be adept with the regular problems of the real world and positively reinforce good trade practices, though sometimes only draconian enforcement really works...the whole loved or feared thing...

If the new rule stays in effect, I'll leave. Delete my account too. I don't want to be associated with the community.
I don't have any volvos, but can get state-side OR/CA volvo parts in limited amounts. If people don't want to trade and want to shut others out, I'm not interested either socially or economically. I think the rule is heavy-handed, reactionary, and solving a non-problem.

Last edited by 945_James on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:40 pm 

Okay, Andy... I get enough childishness at home. If you want to go, then go - I'm not going to beg anyone to stay if they don't want to.

I didn't PM you because others might have things to say about this, and this is OUR forum. We're still small enough that nobody should be making decisions about the representation of the group without involving the rest of us. I don't mean to make you out as the bad guy, but I am a little irritated that you chose to act the way you did. By locking threads in forums where only you and Raz have power, you're forcing people to PM you on PRIVATE matters (which this is not) or to take it public. Because this impacts all of us, both in the marketplace and in our image to potential new members, you can see how it is a public matter and should be discussed openly.

But it seems like you're looking for a reason to leave, and are looking to make an example out of someone at the same time. That's fine, I've got big shoulders. I can't remember the last time you've been "outed" so if you're making a spectacle over your first one... wow. Imagine how many times the mods & admins on Tbrix would have left over the past few years!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:01 pm 

For what it is worth, I think Raz and Andy have undertaken the work of the moderator job.
In that job, no one is going to ever be completely happy.
I don't want the job.

I also think that spam isn't super common here and that the rule is heavy handed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:17 pm 

And ALSO for what it's worth, I don't want you to leave over this, Andy. My intent wasn't to start a fight, or to make you think that you're unappreciated around here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:05 pm 

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another on this, but I will say that I love a lot of the people on this board.

Andy, thanks for doing the moderator thing. If you feel bitter about this, that's tough, but I don't think you need to. Life isn't about making everyone happy, so don't sweat it.

James, don't leave! I love having you around here, and appreciate your wealth of knowledge and input.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:36 am 

I'll just weigh-in and say I thought the rule was heavy-handed too - for the reasons given above.

I think it is natural to feel a little protective (I was going to say precious, but thank-god I didn't) of this space, as the atmosphere is good, and someone who is looking to sell a volvo just drops-in without telling a good story, or introducing themselves or whatever. I agree, it feels a bit odd (cold).

Everybody should stay -

Other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 pm 

Whoa, how did I miss this one? Anyway - as one of the people that has complained about the "one-hit wonders", I should articulate my point. My objection stems from a somewhat elitist view of the CVC in general (and I mean elitist in a good way). Someone that wants to drop in and just sell a car has options like Craig's list or Kijiji and doesn't need to clutter up the board with a single add (and it isn't that frequent, I know). Their add will make it onto the board if it is of interest. They often don't answer a single question or post pictures etc. So they are using board space as a free add to sell a car (mostly) or parts (less frequently).

If we are running a "club board" then it is reasonable to at least ask them to say hello and tell us a little about yourself first. To my way of thinking just posting an add and leaving is socially awkward. I think of it like meeting someone on the street and they open with "I've got a rusty 245 to sell - $3000. Are you interested?" No "Hello" or other social niceties.

In summary, I think I'm just on a quest to have board-life take on some of the social conventions of public interactions.

Craig

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:59 pm 

But what's the difference between what they're doing and what the rest of us do?

Them: sign up, login, post their car for sale or a link to their kijiji ad.

Us: browse kijiji or spot a car on the side of the road, find something cool, and link that ad to our classifieds page.

Socially or unsocially, I don't see much difference. Neither way do you get a lot of information about anything unless you actually get off your ass and follow up on it, i.e. phone the guy. Both ways we win, by getting the chance to own something we wouldn't have otherwise known about.

It might not benefit the community as much as having an active member post up their own car for sale, but IMHO deleting the ad because they're a first time poster is like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]