Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Who has deep pockets for something unique?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/cto/2032074284.html

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject: Re: Who has deep pockets for something unique?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm 

2400 cc engine? What's going on there?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:59 pm 

Police car fast with beeeg ingine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

122_Canuck wrote:
2400 cc engine? What's going on there?

yeah, I call BS- I have the only 2.4L b20 in AB... ;)

My other crank for my big block Mercruiser 4 just finished getting to that stage using Manley rods for a 5.4L Ford. Final displacement as per the machine ship should be 252.4cid, =~4125cc. That took a 105.4mm stroke & 111.8mm bore. Sorry for the thread jack.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 am 

iadr wrote:
Mercruiser 4

Need more info

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:47 am 

Sorry didn't see this for 2 months...

It's a 4 cyl aluminum block with cast in iron liners. Head rods pistons deck height are Ford 429/460.
Timing chain and mains are Cleveland (2.75 mains). Bellhousing is SBC.
Didn't I CC you the pics of the b20 headgasket sitting on the deck, looking dwarfed?
Crank had 2.5 pins, and that just cried for an offset grind...in this case to 2.086.
Plan is a Boss 429 head repro from Kaase (408 cfm @ .650" out of the box), and an EFI manifold from one half of a tall single plane a la Parker FunnelWeb. Cam is a regrind to use .904 lifters, or .875's w/o chamfer and my fingers crossed. 265/271 220/226 .541 .551 110
Not unrealistic to think 325/325 by 5300ish.
Ordered two sets of max effort aftermarket big bore Vtwin piston ring sets once I found the bore I needed (4.40")- .043.043 3mm, and had them (& some piston pins from JE), sent to Diamond to build pistons around. Plan is this with a close ratio T5 and an AMC Eagle viscous coupling transfer case, in my DD for the last 18 months or so- a subtly lowered long wheelbase Suzuki Sidekick on 17's.
Result would be the same power and AWD as an Infiniti G37 but a little more "me" ;)
Oh, and 950 lbs lighter.
Powertrain parts are mostly all bought and test fitted... well... mocked up to each other, I mean. Need to build into the bellhousing, a reverse mount (circle track type) starter. Got the 'correct' non gear reduction, reverse rotation starter and a 5/8" 'flange" to do it, just need to proceed with my plan of how to jig it into place.
Need to decide if a .62 5th is OK or if I want to pay G-force $329 for just a pair of 5ths in .79.
They being AWD aren't the same as RWD 5th's (long story).
Need to swap front R&P from 5.125 to 3.73 and reaxle the back. Explorer is just right except too heavy. Was reading Rockmonton's references to 7.5 and to lighter weight 8.8 stuff with interest.
Really wanted to go a little old school and do a 8" Ford, but no 3.73 ratios for those.
Maybe with an Audi Allroad front suspension swap.

First build and Dyno.
And really first I need the 142GL b234 to be done as I have to move in 30 days.
Note this is my 142nd post? Coincidence? :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 am 

:shock: That's serious business!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
:shock: That's serious business!

Mmmhmm. Well, maybe one of the mods could split this off from the original thread, and then of course title it "Who has deep p..." oh. heh, nevermind. :P

As for back axle early Aerostars came with an aluminum Dana 30. I'm thinking that might be a winning possibility on the back. A 2nd TruTrac (have one for the 142) and confirm that 240 rear brakes bolt on to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:14 pm 
Whost Pore

iadr wrote:
Sorry didn't see this for 2 months...

It's a 4 cyl aluminum block with cast in iron liners. Head rods pistons deck height are Ford 429/460.
Timing chain and mains are Cleveland (2.75 mains). Bellhousing is SBC.
Didn't I CC you the pics of the b20 headgasket sitting on the deck, looking dwarfed?
Crank had 2.5 pins, and that just cried for an offset grind...in this case to 2.086.
Plan is a Boss 429 head repro from Kaase (408 cfm @ .650" out of the box), and an EFI manifold from one half of a tall single plane a la Parker FunnelWeb. Cam is a regrind to use .904 lifters, or .875's w/o chamfer and my fingers crossed. 265/271 220/226 .541 .551 110
Not unrealistic to think 325/325 by 5300ish.
Ordered two sets of max effort aftermarket big bore Vtwin piston ring sets once I found the bore I needed (4.40")- .043.043 3mm, and had them (& some piston pins from JE), sent to Diamond to build pistons around. Plan is this with a close ratio T5 and an AMC Eagle viscous coupling transfer case, in my DD for the last 18 months or so- a subtly lowered long wheelbase Suzuki Sidekick on 17's.
Result would be the same power and AWD as an Infiniti G37 but a little more "me" ;)
Oh, and 950 lbs lighter.
Powertrain parts are mostly all bought and test fitted... well... mocked up to each other, I mean. Need to build into the bellhousing, a reverse mount (circle track type) starter. Got the 'correct' non gear reduction, reverse rotation starter and a 5/8" 'flange" to do it, just need to proceed with my plan of how to jig it into place.
Need to decide if a .62 5th is OK or if I want to pay G-force $329 for just a pair of 5ths in .79.
They being AWD aren't the same as RWD 5th's (long story).
Need to swap front R&P from 5.125 to 3.73 and reaxle the back. Explorer is just right except too heavy. Was reading Rockmonton's references to 7.5 and to lighter weight 8.8 stuff with interest.
Really wanted to go a little old school and do a 8" Ford, but no 3.73 ratios for those.
Maybe with an Audi Allroad front suspension swap.

First build and Dyno.
And really first I need the 142GL b234 to be done as I have to move in 30 days.
Note this is my 142nd post? Coincidence? :P

looking back on it, the explorer is probably way overkill for what i'm doing, and kind of wish i had gone with a toyota or 7.5" ford, or even a crown vic housing and explorer internals. Either way, it was one hell of a learning experience, as well, the shortening jig is around here with a variety of puck sizes, and my small lathe, to make whatever you'd need.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:07 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
I was contacted by the seller of this car (through the VCBC) and I said I would make sure all were aware of the car. He sent me the appraisal form full of info:

"The engine is an original 2000 cc inline four cylinder. It has been rebuilt to factory specifications and has no modifications or performance upgrades. The engine started easily and ran smoothly with no unusual noise or smoke that might indicate a hidden mechanical or maintenance problem"

"The B – 20 – E model inline four cylinder engine appeared to be original with no
appearance enhancements beyond the factory configuration. There was some minor accumulated grime and rust on a few components, but the engine looked well cared for with new looking plug wires and a wiring harness that appeared unmolested. In addition belts and hoses showed minimal aging or wear. Although the owner indicated that it had been sitting for some time, it started easily and ran smoothly with no unusual noise or smoke that might indicate a hidden maintenance or mechanical problem. The induction system consisted of the factory electronic fuel injection system. No performance upgrades were noted. This particular model was originally purchased for police duty and the engine came from the factory with higher compression pistons and an improved
camshaft for greater HP. The cooling system was stock with a belt driven fan. There were one or two drops of oil on the underside pans but no indication of any significant fluid leaks. Power is fed through a stock four speed manual transmission with an overdrive gear set to the original rear end. "

$6,500

Any interest please PM & I will provide contact info

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 pm 

Left to right..no trick photography- Mercruiser, B23, B20

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]