Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Random Projects (everyone's invited to share theirs)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:54 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Most of us are aware of the major projects we're currently working on, but what about the stuff on the back burner? (Yes, I'm bored at work and feel like venting)

I just picked up a 55 gallon drum and am planning on building a parts washer. I will cut the drum in about half, or deep enough to make sure that an engine block can be submerged. The drum will sit vertically, on wheels, and will contain several gallons of non-flammable degreaser. I will have a "bubble grid" on the bottom that will be hooked up to a regulated air supply, allowing me to adjust the vigor of the agitating bubbles. I'd like to hook up a 230 volt heater that will raise the temperature of the fluid to 30-40*C, but in my normally unheated garage this might not be practical.

I would also like to build a vacuuforming apparatus, which would allow me to pull various plastics (acrylic, styrene, lexan) around forms. I have seen some interesting plans, and overall it wouldn't be too expensive as I've got several good strong vacuum motors. The goal would be to make gauge pods, lenses, scoops, speaker pods, or various other things up to a maximum of 21"x21" sheet sizes. Volvord had a rig that was able to pull smaller shapes - this would probably end up being a much larger version.

Many of the mentioned vacuum motors were originally bought to power a flow bench to develop and test cylinder heads, and building one is still something I'd like to do. I'm running out of room in my garage, though. It would definitely be useful and educational, possibly financially viable too.

I've got a combination lathe/mill and a TIG welder, neither of which I know how to use properly. I want to sit down for a month with each of these things and develop some skill, so that when I NEED to use them, I can. I tried welding some aluminium a little while ago and it was a dismal failure - what do you expect when you were never proficient in the first place and haven't touched it in a year? The lathe/mill is one of those cheapies from Busy Bee and I am missing about half the tools I need in order to make anything meaningful, and the machine needs to be gone through to improve the accuracy in the feeds. Installing a digital readout would be a huge bonus, as the graduation on the feed scales is quite poor.

Some of you know that I have a radio control car hobby, which is just about completely on the back burner. I have a bunch of cars & trucks I would like to scratch build, some of which would get bodies created in the vacuuforming machine. (At $40/body, aside from saving money this way, a bit of money could be made too...) I have a couple of faster off-road trucks, one I'm converting from nitro powered to electric, and have a lot of more "scale" trucks that I've at least partly planned out. This is a bit of a diversion from 1:1 car stuff, and I do try to prioritize my primary and secondary hobbies. When I get a couple of my full-size cars out of the way I will start building a few of the smaller ones.

My garage got a pile of work done to it in the past few years, but some of the details need to be finished up. The garage doors need to be replaced with insulated versions, and I have some water damage to repair. The water damage comes from the floor of the garage being slightly downhill from the approach, which is just about level with the alley. I take on quite a bit of water when it rains... One thought is to pour another couple inches of floor, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some in-floor heat at the same time. I would need to put aside all other projects for a while to perform this feat, but the warm floor would be worth it. I would love to install a pair of those rollaway doors too, which would give me much more headroom over the parking slots.

There are always things to do around the house too - we have to paint, replace the windows, redo the kitchen and back landing floor, rebuild a couple fences, do some landscaping, and renovate the basement. Not to mention raise a child and continue to cultivate a relationship with my wife!

This is on top of all the car projects I've got, spoken and unspoken. I've got the 780 renovation, the 123 restoration, and some repair work to do to the truck, but there's also the electric vehicle I want to build, the various iterations of street machines that pass through my dreams (V6 turbo 240, winter basher 240, '64 Plymouth Fury, scratch-built mid-engine tube-frame sports car, etc).

Most of my side projects are on hold because of a lack of money, but some are due to time and/or priority. I need to concentrate on completing some unfinished jobs first before starting new ones - nothing bothers me more than a pile of projects that are on hold and are in the way of finishing something else. If all my problems could be fixed by manpower, I'd have no problems!

Jeez, if I come up with nothing else to do, I've got at least a decade planned out! How about y'alls?

Post subject: Re: Random Projects (everyone's invited to share theirs)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 am 

Well, if you're brave enough to start the thread...I should at least contribute. As many know, I've promised my better half that I wouldn't start any new projects until the old ones are out of the way. I've been working towards this goal for the past few months and have been pretty good about not starting anything new. My definition of a new project is one that I haven't told anyone about - I often buy materials and make plans in advance of getting things started.

So off with the list:

The dining room needs to be put back together with built in cabinets (of my own manufacture) with the drywall fixed and the rest of the trim in the house painted.

The front enterance needs to have the trim painted and a threshold installed on the entrance door (funny, I was looking at that door this AM and thinking that I should open it up - nope [-X ...new project).

I've got much of the garage stuff done and haven't been posting it here. I need to recover some space currently occupied by several engines for projects etc.

In that vain - I'm doing a rebuild of my old B18 and am expecting to sell this engine. If anyone knows someone looking for a great street engine for an 1800/122/544 then pass them along. The goals are for about 140 HP at the crank (ie nothing crazy). I've got the head ported and polished and fully rebuilt. Now I just have to get the bottom end done.

There is a B20 head (later FI head from Greg's car) that is going to get "the business" and have high flow valves, port work, dual valve springs and be ready to make more serious HP. Again, no customer...but looking for a new home when done. Oh, and how about a set of roller rockers? In the works.

I've got a whiteblock conversion pending for the 242...2.5L LPT with 5 speed.

Today I'm picking up the materials for building a B18/B20 sheet metal oil pan and valve cover. I want something different and with a date at the race track set for this summer, I would like an oil pan that will keep the oil by the pump. That TIG has to get some work and I've got the B18 for making templates etc at the moment.

I've got to get a strut tower brace and some body work done on Greg's YROG...when it moves.

My office really needs my 240 chair - that's got to go up the list a little. I've been trying. Cool TIG welded aluminum chair base with nitrogen lifts.

I'm selling my Jaguar MK2 with all associated bits. If it isn't gone by spring...it'll get parted and be gone period.

I've got to have the 122 painted and done by Streetwheelers this year (gotta have it done for my track day which comes first I think). No more pissing around with the bad bodywork on this car - it really needs to have every panel reset and fitted to the body correctly (didn't come from the factory that way - I'm a little nuts for even trying). This will also need the grills rechromed and the front bumper redone (first by me, then rechromed).

This list is not complete...but represents my goals for the next 6 months (I know, never put a date on things).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
On vacation in Southern california right now but talk to me about vacuum forming, I have a small machine and lots of experience

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

Mine mainly focus around the house for the next year.

In the spring, I have to build a garage, this is for sure. Having to brush my car off every morning sucks, it takes longer to brush the car off then it does to drive to work. Uncool.

Along with the garage, I have to have my landscaping in the back yard done by next winter. Want to have my little shed on a nice base, a nice walkway to the garage, and fences up.

Then on to the basement, this will be a sloooooow project. I want to put in a bathroom, finish a real bedroom for my brother, and build a media room. Really not too fancy, just some walls, and some bathroom junk.

On the mechanical side of things. I have to rebuild the rear axle on my quad. I have a powder coated swing arm for it, steering stabilizer (ohlins!) and a bunch of other little stuff to get it ready for the season.

The trailer I haul with is a little ugly. I want to tear up the plywood floor and put a nice dark wood plank floor on it. Re-paint the frame, redo the wiring and build small planked sides for it. I'd LOVE to put some pegasus rims on it! But finding someone selling 2 is hard, and I'm not really looking too hard.

Then once all that is done, I'll probably sell everything and buy an acreage because I want a biiiiiiiig storage shop.

Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

I've got to finish the last 1% of the work left on my wagon, then drop a few bucks for re-doing the interior. It needs to be warmer for this, as chopping wood to heat the garage currently hurts my arm too much.

I enrolled in a PhD program last week....

3 years of taxes to catch-up on (got into a dispute with my accountant, and things snowballed from there).

Once the 122 wagon is done, I'm gonna drive it to NY, and move-in with my sweetie. I'll come back for 3 months a year to drill oil-wells.

J

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm 
Whost Pore

Art, a PhD in what?

Make the wagon run/drive is #1.
Graduate is #1.5
Figuring out where the heck I want to work. Is #2
Finishing my friends camera stabilizer is #3

And then tinkering with the PV and finishing the new structural work and getting on the sheet metal/rust repair is the rest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:24 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

PM, Eric. :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm 

Bump for progress.

My first couple on the master list are now DONE...let me show you what I've got done.

Got the coffee table made from my compressor pallet.

Start point of the dining room renovation - bi fold doors, nasty paint, drywall repairs, electrical repairs. You name it, I did it.

Previous owner was quite the carpenter.

Opening up the hole...studs? Why use studs when framing? Yes I did fix this.

Lots of drywall repair - here I'm fixing the stairwell drywall with kitty help.

Front entrance is painted with baseboards and trim done I added the new threshold that I built.

Getting close to paint here.

Gotta love it when you have to patch the plaster all the way around the room!

Wall fixed.

Needed to add a ground to this circuit!

Cabinet that I built installed - now that's a lot of space.

Doing a little planing on the stair well tops.

Always with kitty help. I don't pose any of these - he loves construction.

Finished tops with new figured maple post.

This was a challenge to build.

Cabinet trimmed and done.

Glass tile backboard and travertine top.

Baseboards - how novel.

OK - now I get to rock a few of those nagging car projects.
Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:17 pm 
Whost Pore

jeez that woodwork is nice! You really do it all!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Georgeous work Craig.
I will have to post my current project as soon as it is complete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:18 pm 

great thread! I'll add something soon that's near finished...it's a redneck's dream lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm 
granny_star

Lol Vik why am I afraid?

Matt: all weather windows did a decent job at my house - and were not horrendously expensive.

My big projects: mostly garden related. Get the newly expended veggie garden fully planted, put raised beds in the front. Other house project: moving washer/drier from the bedroom into the kitchen (hey, going for that european feel!). That's about it for "big" projects, I'm being rather non-ambitious this summer.

Back to lurking I go!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:15 am 

Tha VZA wrote:
great thread! I'll add something soon that's near finished...it's a redneck's dream lol

A house trailer on stilts?

Like this?

Or this?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm 

not quite as amazing as those

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:10 pm 

It had better involve a quanset.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next