Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Unibody modifications and inspections.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am 
Bone stock

Hi there folks,
I have a 65 220 that I have replaced a considerable amount of sheetmetal and tubbed the rear end to accomodate wider tires. I will be converting the wagon to 2 door and installing a 96 t5r engine with a cage for chassis stiffening.
The car has been previously registered in Alberta. Has anyone had any experience with inspections after the restoration of their amazons. I'm concerned that the wagon will fail once the inspector sees the mods even though I'm 100% confident in my work but that won't matter to them I know.
How involved do these inspections get other than the rudimentary stuff like brakes,horns and signals etc.
Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated since I will be investing quite an amount of money to get this wagon finished.
Thanks everyone,
Klaus

Post subject: Re: Unibody modifications and inspections.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

(member) Volvord's brother built himself a Caterham 7 replica, he might have some insight into the process of registering a handbuilt. You might be better off trying to avoid that, and just try to slip through.

The Out Of Province examination is much more stringent than the typical insurance inspection, which is just that: lights, tread on the tires, brake linings, horn & windshield, and out the door you go.

However, I was told by my insurance provider that my plan did not allow a caged vehicle. I assume that I'd need more specialty insurance for that, or rather: insurance geared more towards that type of vehicle and less towards the drivers in the "safe risk" category.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:00 pm 
Bone stock

The cage might be an issue somewhere I suppose but the car will pretty much need the stiffening. I know insurance companies and I imagine the police will just see a cage as being somewhat of an indicator as to how the car will be driven. I am trying to keep all the metalwork clean and somewhat stock looking so that if it came to and inspection, it wouldn't be very obvious and it might slip through.
Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:34 pm 

When talking with the DMV, I was told that a safety inspection would NOT be needed due to the age of my car (this is the 123GT). At least, I THINK this is what I remember, and it makes sense: what safety inspection would matter on a car with single-circuit brakes, an incompressible steering column, and tow straps for seatbelts? It makes sense anyway because Alberta cars don't get provincial safetys, but since my car hasn't been registered since 1974 it doesn't show up in their computers, making it essentially an out-of-province car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 pm 

Hi Klaus,

Glad to have you here (I'm Canuck on TB). I had no issues with my registration post mechanical restoration. A licensed mechanic has to perform the safety on the car. They will check all the usual stuff and will note modifications. Perhaps Paul will chime in on what he would need to pass the car.

By the sounds of things, you should be looking at different insurance options and will have to make arrangements with your insurance company for replacement cost etc. As Matt said, the DMV doesn't mind - your insurance company will.

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am 
Bone stock

Hey there guys,
Thanks a lot for the replies, it's appreciated.
Well I'm going to keep plugging away on the wagon and have fun. I would have to think that somehow I can get insurance for the wagon when I'm done so I won't let that deter me.
Thanks guys,
Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:27 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi Klaus,

Wot, no pictures??

I just had mine registered, prior to which I took it in for an inspection. However, none was needed - either for insurance purposes or to get a plate. Granted, mine is stock. Why not call an insurance company? I'm insured with Hagerty - I believe it was $380/year, with the car valued at 16,000. They didn't even want an appraisal. Their number is 866 922 6569.

Jim (blue wagon - we met out at John's)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:30 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Sorry for late reply as I have been "busy"
If the car has been registered in Alberta there should not be any problem re-registering it. The DMV only requires inspections for out of town vehicles or after an accident .... your insurance company may be another story, they often require safety inspections usually based of vehicle age. They are very spevific with wanting to know about body condition, modifications or non-standard repairs. This could be a problem.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]