Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: 740ti Exhaust??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:48 pm 
First volvo in outer space

The muffler and tailpipe on the Valdez gave it up the other day and I'm not ready to commit to a full 3" turbo back exhaust right now (possibly never?). It appears the PO put on a new resonator before I got it as it looks to be newish.

I really like the sound and a bit of extra throttle response from the ipd catback exhaust I put on the 240 so was looking for something similar for the 740ti I could do that's close to the same idea. I also noticed it's 2.5" up to where the res pipe drops to only 2", I thought the turbos got 2.25" or 2.5" all the way? If the res is good does anyone have any experience with a rear delete, from what I have heard it sounds different doing a rear delete a 240 than a 740 which I don't understand.

Right now for a cheap fix I was thinking just getting a shop to bend up a piece of pipe from the res back and see how it sounds. Any thoughts on deleting the res instead and getting another muffler? This would allow for putting 2.5" in all the way and drop a bit of restriction. Like I said the full blown performance system is down the road I just need something quick and cheap that also increases flow a bit.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: 740ti Exhaust??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:20 pm 

Anyone??

Matt, Dale, Athal, you all have/had 7/9T's in one form or another. I know Matt's 3" system ended up on Dale's car so any experience with other setups before that? There was a thread on tbrix recently that Athal and I both posted in about the OBX 2.5" catback system for $249, seems reasonably enough priced although shipping's a bit of a ripoff. For mandrel bent SS I can't see doing it cheaper at a local shop but I don't have the experience to back that up. The old TME system that ipd used to sell seems to get good reviews but is NLA. :(

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=237772

http://www.eracingzone.com/ShoppingCart ... _address=Y

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:45 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Love my TME system. It's 2-1/2" cat back with just a rear muffler, straight through I think. Not too loud at all, compared to my 3" 240 system that had a hi flow cat and single muffler.

You're right, stock diameter is 2-1/4", so someone shortchanged the system at some point.

Just disconnect it at the resonator and see how it sounds. A few more feet of pipe ain't gonna change the sound that much, just where it comes out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:48 pm 

swedishmeatball wrote:
Love my TME system. It's 2-1/2" cat back with just a rear muffler, straight through I think. Not too loud at all, compared to my 3" 240 system that had a hi flow cat and single muffler.

You're right, stock diameter is 2-1/4", so someone shortchanged the system at some point.

Just disconnect it at the resonator and see how it sounds. A few more feet of pipe ain't gonna change the sound that much, just where it comes out.

Thanks Athal. I guess I already know what it should sound like sans a few feet of pipe as the muffler is hanging by it's rubber hanger right now. :lol: I should get it out of the way and see what it sounds like. It sure looks like a PO put a NA catback on at one time as it's definitely all 2" from the cat pipe to the tip. Since the res is only 2" I think it's time to put all new on to get rid of that restriction.

Wish I could find a TME system, all good reviews on it, even looked on TME's site in Sweden but it appears like RWD is a thing of the past. :( From your description of your TME system maybe a straight through muffler like a Dynomax with 2.5" pipe up and down would be relatively cheap and easy to do local.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:16 pm 

I went from stock straight to the home made mandrel-bent 3". Can't say that it makes any power difference at all withiut elevated boost, a bigger turbo, or more flow. One difference, though: noise. I think a 2.5" is the way to go unless you're doing a max-effort build.

I would say for you to get one built, but have you checjed the price? YEARS ago it was better than $25/foot for the bending, plus the pipe and silencers. I'd be tempted to pay the shipping, no matter how bad it is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
I went from stock straight to the home made mandrel-bent 3". Can't say that it makes any power difference at all withiut elevated boost, a bigger turbo, or more flow. One difference, though: noise. I think a 2.5" is the way to go unless you're doing a max-effort build.

I would say for you to get one built, but have you checjed the price? YEARS ago it was better than $25/foot for the bending, plus the pipe and silencers. I'd be tempted to pay the shipping, no matter how bad it is.

Yeah, I can't see that I will ever need 3" for this car so 2.5" sounds like the way to go. I know what the OBX is worth and there are a couple of relatively positive reviews on TB although very few people have installed one. Being that it's SS and mandrel bent a local shop price is likely going to be a lot higher. For comparison I guess I'll get a couple of quotes for a 2.5" system ala TME style, so one full flow muffler and no resonator. I could get the shipping cheaper if I can figure out how to get them to ship to Sweet Grass as they will only ship to your CC address on file which of course means ground shipping to Canada (vaseline optional).

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 am 

Worldpac lists both mufflers as well as the over-axle and tail pipes. This is all Starla brand stuff. I got this setup for Ian a couple of years ago for his 740 turbo wagon. Grand Prix lists all the parts as well. These are Walker parts and go right from turbo to tailpipe. Here is a diagram of all the Walker part numbers...

http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.jsp?cd=CA&lg=EN&ID=dEz1sGyk_BU50LyZ_CUdHM2dPVVU6YCgIVnhWSE0A

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:54 pm 

^^ Thanks Dale, I was going to get prices from you if I decided to go stock although I'm leaning towards going 2.5" aftermarket right now.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]