Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: WTB: good B230F Engine
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

How do you know it's worn out? The non-turbo engines tend to last a LOOOOOOONG time if even half cared for. Maybe you just need a basic head rebuild? How is the compression? Oil consumption? My old B23E was still running strong after almost 400,000km, just the body rusted around it. Granted the B230Fs aren't quite as strong as that, but still!

Pick n pull shows an '89 740 in stock, might not be a turbo (though swapping a turbo engine would be nice!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 pm 

Well I guess I'm wondering what you're going to achieve with a "newer" motor? Your block will have the bosses for oil squirters, but *probably* not the squirters (I think they arrived in '92, but you never know). They're really only helpful for turbo engines anyway. Other than that, a younger motor will be identical, but they only were available until '95 in North America so there's not much selection. Just because you can find a '92, or '93 motor, doesn't mean it will be in any better shape either, which is why I'm wondering what is wrong with yours.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:48 am 
Bone stock

The current motor I have needs a new head and it has lots of blow by. I did not mean newer by the year, more by the mileage. What would I be in for to rebuild the bottom end and the head? I can put a better cylinder head on to get me by if need be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:55 pm 
Bone stock

What i am after is a used motor with less than 428,000 on it that seems to run OK.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:56 pm 

The thing would be to do some tests to find out where the blow by is coming from (rings, or valve guides, or...) and determine where and how much work is needed.

Re-freshing a head is generally in the $2-300 range to clean, flatten and replace some valve guides. If you need a valve grind, that's probably another $100-150, off the top of my head. I had a head fully rebuilt, with new valves, about 8 years ago, and it was almost $500, but I'm not sure what it would cost now. I know Craig has a good relationship with a shop in Lethbridge that would be cheaper than Calgary shops.

As for bottom end, if you're doing the work yourself, you're still looking at several hundred dollars in gaskets, bearings and rings (and oil, coolant, new belts, etc etc it all adds up), plus either borrowing a basic honing tool or paying someone to do that. And that's if all you need is a re-ring.

Spending $300 (or whatever it costs for a long block at PYP these days) on a decent used engine is the most cost effective way to go, for sure. Guess you just have to be prepared to return it if it turns out to be alot more worn once you get it home and "bench" test it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:30 pm 

There is a 240 wagon out at PnP...'86 I believe. No idea how many miles...didn't look. It'll have a B230 in it though.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

I know this thread is older, so may not be relevant any more, but I have a 90' b230 on an engine stand that came out of a 240 with ~250k kms. It looked really clean inside, therefore why I grabbed it, didn't take the head though. If its any use to you I'd let it go for $100. Probably not going to get around to using it for a while myself...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]