Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Going to Lethbridge Feb 1st - bought '98 V70 T5M
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Hi guys,

I had been looking to find a parts car for my '00 V70R after we hit a deer with it on New Year's eve. I had actually gotten in touch with Matt and he graciously checked out a couple cars for me, but this last one came up at a great price and I was the first to respond... Bought it based on pics and a video of it, and the word of the seller. if it passes oop easily I'll keep it, if it fails bad then it becomes the parts car for my V70R.

I was hoping to get to Calgary to meet up with Matt and at least buy him lunch or something for all the help AND to check out the 780 - but not sure I can swing it on the way back. Play that one by ear once I get the car.

Hoping to get there Friday, check the car out, spend the night (wife's family), then head back to Regina on Saturday - so figured I'd see if there was a chance for an impromptu Volvo meet up in Lethbridge Feb 1st.

No biggie if it doesn't work out, but thought I'd throw it out there. Currently trying to figure out how to get to Lethbridge from Regina, so far the 14 hour bus trip is looking like my LAST option. Flight into Calgary, and shuttle to Lethbridge is better - but if any locals can advise of a better way it'd be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Rabin

Post subject: Re: Going to Lethbridge Feb 1st - bought '98 V70 T5M
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 am 
First volvo in outer space

Funny, I called the seller as well and he stated that he was heading to the "Pass" and would be back later in the day to show the car. He also sent a video of the car which turned out to be some MLM bullshit. I was in town so took a spin around his neighborhood and found it, was sitting on a flat tire with no plate so obviously test drives were not part of the plan. I later noticed that the ad was down but no phone call or even a courtesy email to say he had sold it. Seemed weird, almost scammy, to me so I hope it works out for you. I continue to be amazed at the lack of common courtesy any more, I always take the few seconds to email unsuccessful buyers back when I have items for sale. :evil:

As to getting here, 14 hours on a Grey dog sounds like as much fun as a prostate exam... If you fly to YYC, take the Red Arrow (fancy version of grey dog, much nicer) from the airport to Lethbridge. Could also try a local shuttle called Shuttle Max.

http://www.redarrow.ca/

http://www.shuttlemax.ca/

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:01 pm 

I was the first to contact him and he was very good, great return contact, and very nice on the phone. I called to verify as he said his phone was ringing like crazy with interest in the car and he knew he'd priced it too low... :) When we talked he already had sellers remorse...

He honored my first right of refusal, stuck to the price, sent a video of the car (you had to view it in a browser, and click the graphic, wait for the 60 second advert to pass - and then the car video was there). The links were weird sales crap so I phoned and he explained how to access the car video. He also sent a video of the car starting and running, as well as another one of the interior - looks like it's in great shape, and sounded great. Car has a new windshield too.

As it turns out I spread the word amoungst friends that I was in need of a ride, and another friend is heading to Crow's Nest pass for some sledding so I should be able to get a ride out with him Friday morning. If it goes to plan it should work slick.

I'll check the car out Friday when I get there, and if it's good to go I'll likely head straight back to Regina. Easy to stay the night and come back Friday if I do run into trouble though. Flat tire is a bit of a worry... I have some 15" winter tires I thought of bringing with me to get mounted up if the weather was bad - but weather looks awesome... He said tire tread was fine - so hoping it's a slow leak.

Rabin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Sounds like it should all be fine, congrats. I should mention that he was sincere on the phone explaining that he had to got to the Pass but would call when he got back in the PM so I specifically hung around. I get it when you get deluged with calls on a hot item but a couple mouse clicks and "sorry the car is sold" is part of the deal, but meh it's probably for the best as I should be heading in the other direction on Volvo's not buying more.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am 

Found it and bought it as a parts car for my V70R - now the more I read about them, the more I think I should put more effort into saving it...

All comes down to how well it runs, mileage it gets home, and the list of issues the inspection finds. If it's too $$ to fix I'll part it out and fix my R, if it's an easy pass I may have a new DD for a while.

Sadly my ride fell through, and while another friend offered to drive me out - the bus is just simpler.

Rabin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 am 

Quick update on this car - short story is the car was simply too nice to part out... Initially was PO'd that the seller neglected to tell me about damage to the passenger fender and the hood - both parts I specifically asked to make sure was damage free. Didn't really have a choice as it was my ride home, so sucked it up as a lesson learned. I did get some 16" Perfos with it for an additional $200 so that made it a little better. The drive home however changed that sinking feeling - the car was fantastic. Great fuel economy (8.5L/100km calculated ~120 kph), and it was really solid. Went over it and fixed a bunch of things quickly when crawling around the car in a proper garage - the previous owners really maintained it well. (I suspect the seller bought it and was over his head with the needed repairs and sold it quick.)

Put it through the out of Province inspection, and it basically just needed brakes, and a few minor fix it items like the tailgate latch assembly and the ABS module. Ordered up all the bits for a complete tune up (stage 0), new rotors,pads, parking shoes, new latch assembly, and new LCAs from FCP... All the parts are the "good parts", as I suspect I'll be keeping the car as my winter car. Swapped on some studded WinterContact2 tires before the permit ran out and the car is pretty darn good in snow and ice. Should have the car fixed and plated by months end.

Plan is to use it as the family car while I fix the V70R at my leisure instead of rushing a fix while trying to manage using only one car. R is also getting the 19T rebuilt with a billet compressor wheel, R-manifold, Snabb fresh air pipe and TCV, and a custom ARD "ECO" Blue tune while it's down for body repairs as well. :D

It was a tough decision to stick with the old car and fix it up rather than buy something newer (and less work), but so far I'm very happy with the decision. Insurance payout should pretty much cover costs for both cars, and I get to improve the R with some nice modifications that should really modern up the power delivery and hopefully increase highway economy.

Rabin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]