It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:51 pm 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

GRRRR!!!

I just finished to clean my car and guess what? It's raining! :evil:

Anyway, I doubt that I'll be able to be there before noon. I'll probably be there between 1 or 2 pm. I'll see if I can find my way easily or not in Calgary. Where will you gather after the dyno?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:23 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

we will raise hell liek i stated before... :twisted:

open raods after 1030 pm!!! Geoff and I proved that tonight coming home

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:25 am 

Pylon wrote:
Just a suggestion...I don't know about the others but coffee and donuts for breakfast just doesn't cut it. Matt/Roberta and Beth/I have a standing breakfast date Saturday mornings at Ricki's in Heritage Meadows by the new Ikea. I'm pretty sure we'll probably head there for breakfast with Jordan and crew before heading to the dyno so if any of you want to join us, we'll likely be there about 7:30...

I know that's early for you young bucks but whatever... :P

breakfast at DEERFOOT meadows Ricki's @ 730 sounds good...isn't IKEA cheaper and more swedish though

represent man!

we'll see yous there

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:42 pm 

Bump...

Inspired by a mostly-BS thread in the Performance-Shop forum about dyno numbers, comparing Mustang dynos to Dynojets, etc., I phoned Matthew and asked him some questions directly.

First of all, our dyno numbers were corrected to SAE J1339 or whatever that spec is. Basically it corrects not to sea level, but to 500' ASL (we're at 3650' ASL). My particular dyno run was corrected by 15.3%, and all of yours would be pretty close to that, meaning we were all actually producing 15% LESS wheel horsepower than was shown on the dyno.

Second of all the dyno doesn't know if your car is turbocharged or not, and turbocharged cars aren't as sensitive to elevation changes as naturally aspirated cars are. Therefore, that correction factor should be altered for the turbo cars by 14.5 divided by roughly the total manifold pressure. Example - you're showing 10 psi on the gauge, meaning you had (corrected) 24.5 psi in the manifold. Your correction factor for your car should be:

15.3 * (14.5/24.5) = 15.3 * .59 = 9%.

To figure out your actual, turbo-friendly horsepower, assume you showed 160 WHP that day running your 10 psi. Take that 160 hp number and divide it by 15.3 and you get the uncorrected, actual observed horsepower of 139. Then multiply it by the new correction factor of 9%, and you get 151 turbo-friendly horsepower.

Now, as to how hard Matthew's Mustang dyno is on power numbers, he offers this insight: Matthew's dyno shows about 13-14% lower than a Dynojet, which is the glory machine when it comes to power figures. He also says that most Dynojet operators give a drivetrain loss figure of about 15-20% when estimating SAE net flywheel horsepower. Matthew personally has tested several completely stock vehicles, and has observed 30-35% powertrain loss between claimed SAE net and his corrected observed numbers. This lines up nicely with the Dynojets, somehow not surprisingly.

Anyway, I'm skeptical about 33% drivetrain loss and frankly Matthew is too, but time and time again he's seen that much power somehow get lost when he's testing stock vehicles, so it's obviously a combination of the actual powertrain loss, plus the heat soak on the dyno, plus the amount of added frictional losses due to the dual-roller setup of the Mustang, etc.

Therefore, if your 151 horsepower Volvo has a manual transmission, it's making close to 197 horsepower at the crank.

Got it?

Ian, your car and mine make about 336 SAE net flywheel HP, according to matthew's numbers. All the other boosted folk are on their own, figuring out their own boost / elevation correction.

Final point, don't forget, turbo boyz, that some of your intercoolers were getting seriously hot due to a lack of air thru 'em. I'm certain all of you were making more power than was being shown, on the road with 60 mph air rushing thru the IC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:50 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Good information Matt
I was going to start by saying "holly thread resurrection" but I take that back as this is right on!!!.
I also read the ongoing thread on Performance Shop re: dyno's.
My opinion is that they are just numbers, don't get too hung up on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:40 pm 

when i out corner benz's, bimmer's and mostly all modded ricer's, that's what makes me happy...do i intend to go back to the dyno, probably to make sure things are running correctly...other than that i do not really worry about hp/tq numbers, as the GT has shown me...100hp can be fun!

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Tha VZA wrote:
when i out corner benz's, bimmer's and mostly all modded ricer's, that's what makes me happy...do i intend to go back to the dyno, probably to make sure things are running correctly...other than that i do not really worry about hp/tq numbers, as the GT has shown me...100hp can be fun!

ciao

62 hp is fun too ;)

- R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:02 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Tha VZA wrote:

ciao

Right on Vik

The car I had the most fun in was my 1961 MG Midget with a 948cc 48HP engine. Car weighed 1400 pounds and had a top speed of 55 mph but god was it fun to drive :D :D :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2