Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Megasquirt?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:52 pm 
I can fix the world

So.....my brother built his megasquirt board and all that and.....decided that he is not going to use it, so I guess I have a built board for the TT project. Its a v.3 board, i'm not sure if its megasquirt 1 or 2 though. I'll ask him and find out.

one step closer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:50 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'm sure I've said it to almost anyone that'll listen...

Two things...

1st...Your project car cannot be your daily driver. Before you get too deep into mods and irreversible changes, decide what your car will be...your daily driver or your toy. If it's your toy, go crazy. You can afford to have it off the road for months at a time while you get something perfected or while you fix parts you broke either due to poor planning, poor engineering or bad luck. If it's your daily driver, get it running well with pretty much oem setups and leave it alone. BTDT with the silver wagon and while it's still a reasonably fun car to drive, it's not modified to the point of breaking something with a little spirited driving. Obvoiusly some big swaybars, poly bushings and stiff shocks help a lot there...

2nd...MS isn't/wasn't designed with the flexibility of an oem system. This is a big reason it came out of the silver car a couple of years ago. As soon as it got below 0, it simply wouldn't start. Sure, I could've messed with it and got it set for colder starts but then I would've need to mess with it again when it warmed up. Matt had two or three different maps stored and would load them according to how cold/warm it was. Not that that's a huge problem, it just means you have to pull out the laptop and re-flash the chip. Not terribly convenient when you're running late and the temp dropped 20 degrees overnight and your car won't start. In my daily driver I want something that'll start and run every time I turn the key, regardless of the temperature outside.

Don't get the wrong impression; I think MS is great. It's been running the 122 for well over 3000km now without so much as a blip other than the broken solder joint that happened the day before the BC trip. I can't blame that on MS. The beautiful thing now is if/when I supercharge it, all I do is change the map to deal with positive boost presure and I'm on my way. However...I have no intention of driving the 122 after the snow flies so I have no worries about the MS dealing with cold temperatures. As with the daily driver/toy thing, I believe that MS isn't well suited to a daily driver in this climate. Just my humble opinion but I'm far from an MS guru. I rely 100% on Matt in that department

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]