Change font size
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 700 Series Turbo Swap?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:59 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Ok so i bought a parts car yesterday for $500, a silver 1985 740 turbo k motor 267000km which stalled on my way home on the highway :lol: the engine is really dirty and looks like it hasnt been well maintained. i noticed the turbo hoses have quite a bit of oil residue in them. the only reason i bought it was for the turbo sytem and black interior and carpeting.

i am planning on using the exhaust manifold and turbo, maf, intercooler, ecu, some brackets and mounts, and some parts of the wiring harness from the 1985 740T and installing them into my normally aspirated 1989 740 GL. will this work or will i need more parts? i was looking at the 2 intake manifolds and it looks like i can take out some plugs on the 1989 b230f for vacuum lines like the b230ft has.

anyone got any tips to help me out or am i wasting my time? this is my first major project and i hope not to ruin 1 perfectly fine car and have a dismantled parts car. any tips would be greatly appreciated 8)

i am hoping to use the exhaust manifold, turbo, and intercooler temporarily until i can find a 1990 manifold, a hybrid turbo and upgraded intercooler.

i am also curious if the b230f and b230ft use the same connecting rods and cam? probably not the cam but the connecting rods i have been wondering about. thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:12 am 
Site Admin

[turbobricks moment]
+T FTW!
[/turbobricks moment]

I think it'd work, I'm not sure what else you'd need to make a +T

:)

- R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 am 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

What's a +T? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:24 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Pa231 wrote:
What's a +T? :oops:

noob :roll:

:P

+T = adding a turbocharger to a normally aspirated engine

and yes it can be done...search TB for info though as i have none really except maybe a rough parts list in my head

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:59 pm 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

I already have one, why would I bother about a +T? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Well, since I just went through a +T, I figured I'd respond here.

Are you really attached to your car? I ask because if you aren't, selling your current ride and buying a factory Turbo is probably your best bet. Given that 700 series Turbos are quite common and fairly cheap, I would have to say that you are saving yourself a lot of headache if you purchase the factory version. You're gonna get more boost with the lower compression engine, and you won't have to mangle up a good car. Is the parts car in good enough shape that you could just put that on the road?

That said, if you are attached to your car, and keen on doing a bit o' mechanical work, it is doable. The cams in both cars are lethargic (if not the same), and I'm guessing (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) that the rods would be the same too. Having a parts car side by side with your good car is really nice. You should have everything you need, and you can tell how and where everything should go. Make sure the donor turbo isn't on its last legs before you drop it in. You've got the holes for the oil separator box already in your block, so that's good.

Your biggest dilemma is your oil feed and return. There's lots of info on this on Turbobricks, so check it out. My summary is this: take the oil feed off the front of your block. There's a passageway that leads to the oil pressure sending unit. At the end of that passageway, there's a threaded plug with a square head at the front of the block. Get a fitting and some hoses and run your feed from there to the turbo. For the return, you're gonna need to pull the engine, (or at the very least pull the oil pan). Lots of people will say you can run the return to your oil pan, but my experience is that drillling the block is the only way to go. I bought a 1/2 pipe tap and proper bit and did it with the engine on a stand. Then bought some hose and fittings, cut the stock oil return pipe and routed it toward the new hole with the hose. After this, everything should bolt right up. With the higher compression N/A engine, you'll want to turn the boost down before you get going until you can ensure everything is running properly. Sorry if you knew all this already, or if its repetition.

I wouldn't do it again. The reason I did is that I had gotten a b21ft, which I was going to put in, but it was completely unuseable. I had most of the parts I needed, and a good b21f, but not a lot of money, so I did it up. I was also quite attached to my car, and prefer the older 240's to the newer. Given the option, I would find a proper b23ft or b230ft, and do it without the +T. In your shoes, I would buy a turbo car, or swap a complete turbo engine into your car.

Hopefully this advice helps! Have fun with it!

Greg

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]