Change font size
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:01 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Help! Overboosting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:03 am 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

I know that the stock boost guage is totaly inaccurate, but it's enough to tell me that my boost goes waaaaaaaaaaaaay above what it is supposed to be. Even when I used medium acceleration to coast on the highway or to climb a hill, the boost will go up up up when it shouldn't. I did check all the main hoses under the hood and everything seems to be correctly tied. It's the first time that I notice that. And no, I didn't mess with anything!

It bugs me, I can't even use half of the throttle without seeing the turbo boosting like crazy and I have to pump the gaz pedal to climb a hill. (and it's running only on 91 octane, so it pings and bugs a lot if I let it boost)

the green line is about where it boost normally (well, where Matt set it up, 12 or 13 psi?) and the red line where it boost right now. :shock:

So, outside driving slower than a grandma for now, what can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:46 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Here's a REALLY bad MS Paint diagram of your boost bleed system, Steph. The line that goes to open air bleeds off a certain amount of pressure, and the amount of flow is regulated by a hose clamp on the hose coming off the turbo. Loosen off the clamp to reduce boost, tighten it to increase boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:25 am 

You put it on the open end. I though that it was the contrary. Loosen it to increase boost?

It just amaze me that it was working perfectly until yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:43 am 

The clamp is on the open end? Doesn't sound right... Make sure that both hoses are connected to where they're supposed to go, and that the hose didn't blow off the turbo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:50 am 

Eureka! I found out!

Yesterday, it was dark and the engine f.. hot.

It's the hose between the T and the wastegate. You used the original hose. It did cut right under the hose. I did change it with the new hose (leftover from your operation) so now it's ok. Hey! I had EVERYTHING I need IN MY CAR! :shock:

Yes, the clamp is on the open end. You should remember, YOU put it there! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:45 pm 

Well there's two ways of doing it - sometimes you put the clamp on the open end and sometimes on the hose between the turbo and the tee. If the hose between the turbo and the tee is very long, or is very small diameter, you need to put the clamp on the open end to restrict the flow out of the bleed because there's such a restriction before the tee, that only a small bleed can be very effective.

With a car like yours, where the hose between the turbo and tee is very short and the restriction through it is small, often it takes an extremely large bleed to increase boost - larger usually than even a bare tee can supply. With this type it's most common to need a restriction between the turbo and the tee to get the flow low enough to make a bleed effective.

I've done it both ways, and it's far more common to require the clamp between the turbo and the bleed. That's why I thought it was that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:49 pm 

Oops, I meant that the hose did cut right under the clamp, not under the hose! :lol:

You were quite in a hurry went you did it, so I'll forgive you! :wink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]