Change font size
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Oil catch can ideas!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:25 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Ok so i've done a bunch of reading on T-bricks and am trying to get some ideas on how to build one. Ive seen everything from pop bottles to elaborate set ups. I know Ian had a neat one fabbed up from an A/C canister(i think). I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for one, and if ian maybe you could let me in on your secret design :) .

Now i have read a bunch of conflicting views on how to set them up, some say route it back to your intake and some say you can vent to atmosphere.

I would like to keep my turbo/intake as clean as possible so i think venting to atmosphere would be my more desirable option. Is there any objection to this? Some t-brickers were talking about vacuum leaks which made no sense to me because all your doing is venting gas/mist from the crankcase.

Anyways if anyone has some creative ideas let me know!

jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:54 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

after looking at this further i see that people are kinda split down the middle on this venting to intake or atmosphere dillema, Some are saying its better to have the engine sucking out the gases and keeping the crankcase in slight vacuum, and that if you dont you can blow the rear seal. But others are argueing that the rear main isnt held in by vacuum and its better not to have the seal having vacuum acting on it. Both seem like decent arguements but no one can seem to set in stone which one is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:57 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
First Jon, you are welcome over at any time, I will show you exactly how to make one like mine.

As for venting or not ....there are advantages and disadvantages to either way.

Venting to the atmosphere increases polution, it must be vented away from the passenger compartment (the vapour stink), the answer to maximize power as you are not diluting the intake charge with contaminating gasses.

Venting to the engine (vacuum); the vapours can increase the chance of detonation in that they reduce the combustion efficiency, they place the crankcase under a slight vacuum which is a good thing (vacuum does not hold the seals in but if there is a vacuum there is less of a chance that they will leak, a crankase under vacuum will create more power but the vacumm through a PCV system is not enough to achieve this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:59 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

What Ian said.

Personally I don't like the stink of venting the crankcase to the atmosphere. It may be possible to vent it to the exhaust, with appropriate fittings, so long as your exhaust doesn't have too much backpressure. With a 2.25" exhaust such as yours, it might have too much (half a psi is getting to be too much, really) The old hot rodders would sometimes install a check valve (similar to the B23E Pulsair valves) on their header collectors, where a significant amount of vacuum exists, to vent the crankcase gasses to and create slight vacuum in the crankcase.

With a good catch can, venting to the turbo inlet won't mess things up too badly. It's the oil spatter that makes a mess of things, but if you coalesce most of that junk out of the vapour, the oil won't contaminate the charge. The vapour coming out of the crankcase is somewhere between an inert gas (blowby after combustion) and gasoline vapour (blowby before combustion, fuel wash during warmup), and only the oil suspended in the vapour is really harmful to power. Well, it's all harmful to power really, 'cause it displaces fresh air, but it won't lead to detonation like the oil will.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]