Change font size
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: I should have come back home earlier...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:01 pm 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

I have a training course in Edson this week, so I drive morning and before supper. Today, some people organized a friendly soccer after supper and I got invited. I didn't miss my chance to get some social and I went. I stretched and warmed myself as I always do. After 3 minutes, I kicked the ball and ouch. I pulled a muscle. It was burning. I was done for the match. It still hurt.

On my way home, I was driving like a grandma but it was still too fast. I did hit a deer. there was two of them and never saw the second one until it was too late. No damage, I probably hit a leg with my bumper and its ass with my mirror. The mirror folded inside, but didn't break. More fear than harm. (except for the deer who got the ass spanking of his life). That's the third one that I hit since I'm here, even if I drive slowly at night. (first one was already dead and I had a rental car, second one was with a company pick-up truck). Now, that's official, I want a lighting setup like Houston. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:06 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Have you tried those deer whistles, Steph?

Sucks to hear. I've never hit a deer, never even had a close call, but I know many folk who lived outside of town and it seemed they'd hit one every year.

European headlights, relays, a good alternator (for lots of power at the light) they can all be your friend. I just put the US style headlights back in the 765 and pulled out the relays & Ford alternator, and even with the Bosch low beams they're still pretty weak.

I used to have auxillary driving lights on any car I owned, when I did lots of recreational driving outside of the city. I was addicted to good lights, and even though I didn't know enough to upgrade the wiring or charging systems, they still made a huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:14 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Glad to hear you and the car are OK (well except for the pulled muscle, but it will heal)

We tested those deer whistles at TELUS on the trucks, and they did not seem to make any difference. Sure they are supose to make an ultrasonic whistle (but how do you know it is actually working?) and many deer did not read the package instructions telling them to get off the road when they hear that noise.

I agree with Matt, the best solution is in GOOD lighting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Admin

I have very sensitive night vision, so even the shittiest lights are 'too much' for me...

And those deer whistles don't work worth shit. Ask me how! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:20 pm 

I have two whistle (gift from the company to show how they cares about us) and didn't do anything.

I hate deers. That's probably one of the most stupid animal on the side of road. They'll start to run for no reason. I call idiots the mountain sheeps that pass their time to lick the yellow line, but at least, you don't have to expect any surprise from them.

I'll think about what I will put ahead of my car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:42 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:52 pm 

Sure, but it doesn't correct the most dangerous situation where you get a new passenger inside your car via the windshield.

The best way to avoid the danger is to see it! (that's one of the reason why I hate modern cars with their visibility of a submarine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:39 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Yeah, we've rented Chrysler 300s on tour, what a terrible car. Triumph of the evil stylists over the engineers. Dumb little windows, useless (due to wind noise) sunroof, poorly shaped trunk, etc. Course, they've sold like hotcakes, so I guess the stylists were right.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]