Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help needed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:49 pm 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

Over the last months, I wasn't sure if I would keep the my 740 or sell it. Some events in my life leads me to consider keeping it for some years.

I have 2-3 stuffs to do on my car if I want to keep it.

I will need a new clutch. My original clutch is slipping under load (hard acceleration or starting in a hill).

I want to put a new suspension too. The almost all original suspension is tired of life and if it is still ok for highway in the plains, it's just dangerous in the mountains. (As I drive often there now, the suspension of a big boat is not acceptable). I still don't know if I should go with a stock suspension from Volvo or an aftermarket suspension. I don't want a 5 inches drop and and I don't race, so I don't need a full-racing suspension. I want something that can react well under emergency situation (like avoiding a moose in a curve) or keep the car on the road if I do the mistake to take a turn with a bit too much enthousiasm... But I drive often for long distance so I still want something confortable.

All other mechanical parts are in good shape, it went under heavy inspection 2 months ago.

So I was wondering how much these 2 things might cost ($can) and where I could find the needed parts for this. and what I should do with the suspension.

I just moved into my new appartment, so I don't have tools or place to work (neither the talent to do such major work). So I'd like to get information from people from Alberta on where I could go for that.

and if these things doesn't cost too much, I might go for a new set of alloy wheels. I'd be looking for draco or hydra wheels. Where could I find that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:01 am 
Site Admin

ipd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:27 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

iPD...eBay...

since you don't want a super stiff ride...i would say don't go bilstein HD, and you prob don't wanna spend the money for the koni yellow adjustables

check the iPD website, ask them a few questions...search turbobricks.com, lots of info is out there and opinion's of what suspension set ups give for results

as far as 700's go i KNOW they handle differently than 200's, so what might work for a 200 may not give the exact same result on a 700, but it should be within a ball park...myself, i love the TME spring, koni yellow's, poly bushed all around with 25mm sway bars...it is really stiff...but i like it stiff (keep your comments to yourself)...i know Ian has bilsteins so he can comment there...

def upgrade your sway bars though, you will notice a crazy difference, even if your suspension remains on the soft side, beef up the sways, you'll be dodging moose left right and center

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:58 pm 

And for the clutch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

stockity stock stock?

cheap on ebay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm 

For both suspension and clutch. It is worthy to consider original Volvo parts or we can find equivalent quality for lower price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 pm 

don't go OEM volvo

you can get the set up you want for A) cheaper and B) easier than only one type of shock/spring set up....i.e. if you ask for springs for an xx year 700 they will give you one option...not many

AFAIK

clutch...no clue.....who owns a manual....pipe up!!

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:19 pm 

And a good shop or good mecanic in Alberta to do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:37 pm 

yourself...don't give me i don't know enough...i didn't know jack shat last year this time...(know what you're thinking everyone, i still don't know jack shat ha ha very funny, :P )

read read read...by the time your parts come you should be able to put them in...

also i was talking with Giles about maybe organizing a "wrench time meet" but not just one car...have a bunch of cars there all doing stuff...??

input? (thread JACKED)

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:13 pm 

It's not just that I'm not a mechanic, I don't have tools. (ok, a hammer and a screw driver, but not more!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:17 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Pa231 wrote:
...ok, a hammer and a screw driver, but not more!)

What more do you need???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:02 am 

Ok, ok... Nevermind... I thought that I could get answers or help here... My mistake. Sorry! :oops:

I'm not the kind of guy who can build a real space shuttle with a milk bottle, two screws and a phone cable... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:40 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Pa231 wrote:
Ok, ok... Nevermind... I thought that I could get answers or help here... My mistake. Sorry! :oops:

I'm not the kind of guy who can build a real space shuttle with a milk bottle, two screws and a phone cable... :roll:

:oops: Boy does that make me feel bad, not intending to give you a rough time.

I think the biggest item is understanding your mechanical ability and because of your "remote" location it makes it hard for us to offer any meaningful assistance. Most of the members in the Calgary group just dive in and try to fix it themselves, if they run into problems the "HELP ME" message goes out and usually someone can find the time to go over and give a helping hand.

As for parts, OEM is excellent quality and you know it is going to fit, but you pay the price for that. There are many good aftermarket parts that are equally as good, but there is also a lot of "crap" or poor quality aftermarket products. Often the best information comes from having a good relationship with your local parts department. An honest partsman will let you know the quality and reliability history of certain manufacturers. A poor partsman will just sell you whatever.

If you are in Calgary I (and many on this forum) can recommend good parts suppliers, but we just don't know what is available in Hinton. If you are in Calgary I know you can trust Tom and Parts Unlimited, great guy and will really stand behind the parts sold.

We are here to help ... but we also like to give each other a real rough time of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:55 am 

I did 6000km in the last 4 week-ends. Do you think that I care if I have to go to Calgary for a week-end? :wink: And remote??? :shock: I'm not in Yukon, you know? :lol:

If somebody if willing to receive me and give me a hand to change the clutch or the suspension, I'll gladly accept it. Of course, I'm not asking for free help.

Before, my brother was doing most of the major works on my car (he's a mechanic), I have some konwledge about mechanic, but don't expect me to put my car apart in the parking lot without tools and without knowing what I'm doing. That's just a plan to end up with my car on a towing in direction for the closest Volvo dealer... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:24 pm 

diving in is how you leanr!!!!

lol

i am sure we can set something up...although it would be better if it was a little warmer out...do u pthat wrench time meet

all of us can help each other work on our cars and Dupuis can be over in the corner cussing out his MS system... :wink:

ciao

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next