Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:24 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I feel like I missed out on that one! I'm sure it would of been a fun time. Hopefully the 242 makes it out west next year, at least it's running now. Next year I'd like to have a dyno queen turbo on, but lately it seems i'm all talk no action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:15 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Good to hear from you Geoff.
Yes, as you get older the time flies by faster, I never get as much done as planned.

The talk about next years PacNW will be a road trip up to Jasper, starting from Calgary. This would reduce your drive considerably and hopefully you can make it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:30 am 
granny_star

Haha, well come on,

funny but true story, I was showing the dyno vid to my mom (to show her what exactly we were doing on Sunday)

I'm gonna have to start calling her Mrs. Robinson...Athal, my mom thinks your cute! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:36 am 

I think we'd better stop calling it the PacNW cruise, since we'll now have NO participation from the actual PacNW people if we keep it entirely within Alberta. Even the last few years has been iffy. And I'd love to keep it such that there's a good month of summer on one side or the other where I could recharge and go down to Bellingham or Portland or wherever to hang out with those folks too. Mid July for one and mid August for the other, as an example.

And if we're camping around the Jasper area, it would be great if there are cabins to rent wherever it is that we go. My wife has a rule, and since I've honoured that rule for the past 15 years, we have no tents, sleeping bags, foamies, coleman stoves, or other gear associated with sleeping on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:42 am 
granny_star

what?!?!?!?!?! pfft. your wife's a wuss!!! (I say this with love though)

i think it might be easier for me to be in my tent cause i'll likely have a big ol dog comin with me. mwahahaha.

depending on how many people come out, we may be able to split cabin/tents i dont know how expensive cabins are and all that jazz....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Ugly Duck wrote:
I think we'd better stop calling it the PacNW cruise, since we'll now have NO participation from the actual PacNW people if we keep it entirely within Alberta.

The Non-exclusive Alberta based summer Volvo trip with open invitations to any province or state where the owner of a Volvo or any car for that matter want to join us cruise 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:51 am 
granny_star

Well put Ian.

....resume.....

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 am 

Ya, with the exception of a HANDFUL of guys out there, they ain't nothin but a bunch of bailers. I'm all for doing our own thing next year, keep it simple. Hell, I bet more guys show up anyway. Maybe even some of those mysterious edmonton folks...

Kat, careful what you call your mom- there's a good chance I'm closer to her age than yours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Volvord wrote:
Good to hear from you Geoff.
Yes, as you get older the time flies by faster, I never get as much done as planned.

You had to rub it in that I'm getting older. I'm already complaining about no AC/Cruise in my car, and I'm thinking about taking out the Billy HDs in my 244 for daily driver use. I'm just about 22 and already wanting a softer ride?? :shock: Someone told me again I'm 22, with a 40 year old brain in a 16 year old body.

Ugly Duck wrote:
I think we'd better stop calling it the PacNW cruise, since we'll now have NO participation from the actual PacNW people if we keep it entirely within Alberta. Even the last few years has been iffy. And I'd love to keep it such that there's a good month of summer on one side or the other where I could recharge and go down to Bellingham or Portland or wherever to hang out with those folks too. Mid July for one and mid August for the other, as an example.

I agree on the good month of summer on one side or the other. I suppose this year still left some summer after, but it felt like it was towards the end.

Is anyone else interested in driving out to Bellignham/Portland area besides Matt? I realize you might want to make a family only trip out of it, but if a couple others were interested that could be a neat trip itself. I'd LOVE to go down there, and would consider tugging a small trailer to bring parts back.

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
Ya, with the exception of a HANDFUL of guys out there, they ain't nothin but a bunch of bailers. I'm all for doing our own thing next year, keep it simple. Hell, I bet more guys show up anyway. Maybe even some of those mysterious edmonton folks...

:oops: I did straight up bail.. I even had the time off too, so I could of definitely made it. Just a number of things made me uphappy about it, but I don't need to get into that. I made the first two trips putting on more KM then anyone else, so I'm a pretty safe bet on saying I'll make another crazy trip. If it's a shorter cruise, well that's just even easier!

Volvo withdrawl is really kicking in right now for me, so come 08 I'll really want a trip. That ricer' of mine really hasn't changed anything in case that's what ya'll were thinking :o.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:41 pm 

dont feel bad Geoff i am a bailer too...just havn't been able to do anything really lately with my fun car

i have decided though that post Trail of the GNU rally in january that the 760 is going to become a year round car, no point in baby-ing it anymore as it is 23 years old :lol:

time to drive it and enjoy it

gotta get bakc to work

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:01 pm 

Not sure he was talking about you specifically, Geoff, though I know it bugged Ian somewhat how few people showed up to the thing after so much interest was generated in the first place. Bugged me too, and I had nothing to do with the organization. What was also irritating was when people who actually showed up took off early. Again, not pointing fingers at anyone specifically because I know things happen, but there it is.

You HAVE driven further than anyone else over the last couple, so you've got a right to drop out of one every now and then.

Something about the trip gave me a slow leak too. I'm not sure what it was, but even up to the day I showed up I wasn't really overjoyed to be there. I think it was all the dropouts leading up to the actual weekend that did it for me, really, but it was also the reality that our big group would probably have been TOO big to stay together, make any decisions, etc. We barely fit into the parking lot at the hot springs, for example, and it took forever to figure out what we wanted to do on Sunday even with the limited participation we had. Plus there was the worry leading up to the event of fire and smoke and evacuation, etc.

I don't think I was alone either - enthusiasm seemed down even within the group that showed up. Everyone seemed kind of distant or quiet or withdrawn, for the most part. That kind of thing. First timers had the energy that the repeat customers seemed to lack, though.

------------------------------------

The idea for a Bellingham visit is kind of loose. In fact, Bellingham is pretty much useless to us now, since nobody really lives there. JL lives in Lynden but he's the only one. Adrian lives elsewhere, James too. If we chose to visit Seattle this year, we'd probably get to meet a new group of Volvo guys, as well as create enough of a draw to entice others to make the trip. Of course, if you go to Seattle, you've got a bigger city to deal with and not only is it tougher to do any kind of fun driving within the city, but it's easier for our group to get split up and lost, and it'll take longer for us to do anything. It would be good for each of us visiters to have a GPS with the city loaded up, so that if we did get separated we could at least find our way around.

We could also hit up Vancouver & meet some of the guys who live around there. Kenny, Leivon, Kayla, those bums on the island (if they'll get off their pedestal & take a ferry to meet us, that is), and whoever else. Does Kirby still live out there?

Another thought is to drive all the way to Portland for the IPD event. Could hit Seattle & Vancouver before or after. It's a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:18 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Ugly Duck wrote:
Not sure he was talking about you specifically, Geoff, though I know it bugged Ian somewhat how few people showed up to the thing after so much interest was generated in the first place. Bugged me too, and I had nothing to do with the organization. What was also irritating was when people who actually showed up took off early. Again, not pointing fingers at anyone specifically because I know things happen, but there it is.

I kinda figured it wasn't direct finger pointing, but I feel like one of the "dewds" standing in the crowd of losers. So I'm more or less saying sorry to those who put in the effort and were let down. I did contribute alot of hype to the PACNW thread, because I did enjoy previous years VERY much... I guess my enthusiasm just dropped with the rest of them.

Ugly Duck wrote:
Something about the trip gave me a slow leak too. I'm not sure what it was, but even up to the day I showed up I wasn't really overjoyed to be there. I think it was all the dropouts leading up to the actual weekend that did it for me, really, but it was also the reality that our big group would probably have been TOO big to stay together, make any decisions, etc. We barely fit into the parking lot at the hot springs, for example, and it took forever to figure out what we wanted to do on Sunday even with the limited participation we had. Plus there was the worry leading up to the event of fire and smoke and evacuation, etc.

I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't look for big numbers in the next meet, either that or make some smaller groups. I'm not much of a leader or organizer though, but I guess that can be discussed in the 08 thread.

Ugly Duck wrote:
The idea for a Bellingham visit is kind of loose. In fact, Bellingham is pretty much useless to us now, since nobody really lives there. JL lives in Lynden but he's the only one. Adrian lives elsewhere, James too. If we chose to visit Seattle this year, we'd probably get to meet a new group of Volvo guys, as well as create enough of a draw to entice others to make the trip. Of course, if you go to Seattle, you've got a bigger city to deal with and not only is it tougher to do any kind of fun driving within the city, but it's easier for our group to get split up and lost, and it'll take longer for us to do anything. It would be good for each of us visiters to have a GPS with the city loaded up, so that if we did get separated we could at least find our way around.

We could also hit up Vancouver & meet some of the guys who live around there. Kenny, Leivon, Kayla, those bums on the island (if they'll get off their pedestal & take a ferry to meet us, that is), and whoever else. Does Kirby still live out there?

Another thought is to drive all the way to Portland for the IPD event. Could hit Seattle & Vancouver before or after. It's a thought.

I guess a loose idea is all I'm looking for anyway :D. I'm far from saying yes for sure on anything right now, the IPD meet would be very cool to see. If we could run into whoever along the way.. all the better. The idea of this trip sounds very appealing. For me it depends on my job status (which might be changing) and if I can get the time needed. But the idea of it is something I like throwing around in the back of my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:29 pm 
granny_star

yes i know i suck cause i couldnt afford the time off at the time!!! boourns!

and now i'm bailing on the cruise i'm supposed to be planning....

damn need for money. anyways. Athal - come on, you're not that old. OLDEST you are is 30s. of the EARLY type. but now I'm curious. how old ARE you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:27 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

pro_star wrote:
Athal - come on, you're not that old. OLDEST you are is 30s. of the EARLY type. but now I'm curious. how old ARE you?

You would never really guess it by looking at him. When I first saw Athal I was thinking about age 25... (I'm saying that as a compliment).

I know some 20 year old babes that wouldn't hesitate :wink:. These sask girls will cook you up a big ole meal and pick the hay out of your hair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:30 pm 
granny_star

well hey, come on, he's hot stuff.

(ahh...the joys of being the single one...i'm always allowed to look ;) and theres some nice lookin in this group ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next