Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Little Low Red Wagon - Local Budget Build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:01 pm 
Cams + Headers

Well I figured since I'm new here i figured I'd start a build thread to show my pics/progress throughout this project. If your anything like me I love build threads with LOTS of info, pics and personality so here it goes...

The influence behind my build has been my experience with modifying my truck, a 2000 GMC Sonoma that I Vortec 5.7L swapped and did an entire air bag suspension build on. I spent countless dollars to get it low and in the end...I have a truck for sale that I'm losing money on. With the wagon I plan to have this project completed or at least close to how I want it for less than $2500, car included. I guess I kinda wanna prove you dont have to have a lot of money to have a fun car. Hell for that price all your gonna find is sunfires, neons, and old boats.

I purchased the car for $500 from a couple that owned Volvos for the last 10 years. They seemed pretty knowledgeable and because they had owned so many, I got a nice big box of extra parts, lights, fuses. relays (some of them are retarded expensive), a set of tail lights and a complete dash.

Here is the pic from the ad...at this point I had no idea what addiction would become of this. I was looking for only a beater to get through winter with. I wanted a wagon, awd or rwd and less than $1500. I had a few picked out, a subaru wagon with 4wd, a 4wd corolla (that sold before I could look at them), and a gold 1990 Volvo wagon (which also sold on me before I could look at it). Then I saw this one...and I ended up being able to see it the night I found the ad. They were asking $800 which I thought was fair but it needed a lot of suspension work and brake pads. Not to mention it ran really rough. I offered $500 and they said sure, just get it out of here!

to this (hopefully soon)

everything taken apart (valve cover leaked so bad it smoked)

Then I figured I may as well doa good job and paint the cover while Im at it. After all, a cheap mod is always appreciated.

a little elbow grease...

did a full tune up and ran 2 cans of seafoam through it and it runs 2000 times better, smooth idle and a lot more power. Very happy with the results.

Next a messed around a bit

cleaned her up a bit and waxed it quickly in the shade with a beer

I bought the car with the virgos and in the back were 2 steelies and I almost got rid of them.

Wanting some nicer wheels I decided to use the steelies and run the virgos in winter because I've started to hate them. Problem was I had almost no money. I went to the wrecker and bought 2 volvo steelies to match and found matching beauty rings and volvo hub caps with tires - $50. Then I bought some primer, paint and clearcoat - $20. My friend sand blasted them for me for free at his shop after hours. (Yes I got it for free but its not cheating on the budget because you too can make friends with good connections)

to this...

to this...

wheels + painted like so for $60.

color turned out funny but i assure you their dark red.

Interior is kinda messy/dirty for now; it was a $500 car...

Some parts I have laying around...

Last edited by carter on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Little Low Red Wagon - Local Budget Build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 pm 
Cams + Headers

Wellllll one day I woke up to a flat tire...figured I may as well get the 14"s mounted instead of wasting what little money I have on fixing a tire on a wheel I dont want to use anyway. (Virgos are for sale btw someone TAKE THEM!)

I picked all 4 of these tires up off kijiji for $20 with 10/32nds left on them :) (using kijiji for the budget build ftw). Yes their winters...winter is coming...in spring I'll be buying white walls and over winter (hopefully) I can get to the air ride install.

I reaaaally need to invest in a better camera :(

Sept. 3rd 2010

Well I goto change my oil...and I cant get the filter off. I only tighten them by hand so it wasn't cranked on with a wrench...try a wrench to get it off...cant get the wrench on. Now im like wtf...sooo I look under it and it turns out both motor mounts gave way and my oil filter was the new motor mount lol. Ordered 2 mounts from Napa and threw on some Bob Dylan and went to town. Gonna do the tranny mount once it gets here. Apparently this is a common problem with these 3 mounts...

The motor had shifted and the oil filter was resting on the bottem rubber piece lol

Driver side...

new one :)

Then I cleaned the car a bit and snapped a pic

And then a can or 2 of seafoam...stuff REALLY works

also found this Subaru I might pick up for winter to keep the wagon as clean as possible :)

$1200

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Welcome! Cool project keep it coming!ive got some random 240 bits left if you need something!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:59 pm 
Cams + Headers

I'll let you know! Id like to convert to efi and a cheap turbo added on at the same time once the suspension is done :)

although, i'll be interested in some struts (blown if possible, i'll be cutting them up and using a shorter cartridge) and some rear trailing arms so I can have them sandblasted and coated. Im planning to paint everything I take off and have the car driveable while everything is getting modified.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:57 pm 

Poorboy Tire....you work there? I'm dealing with Chris from there right now on a set of VW wheel adapters...

Nice looking car. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for parts as many of us have owned more than a few 240 series cars. I doubt there are many parts somebody can't track down although right now there seems to be a bit of a lull in 240 series ownership. Still doesn't mean we don't have a bunch of parts stashed away somewhere. As well, some of us have wholesale accounts with parts warehouses. Don't be shy about asking for prices on new stuff...like engine mounts... :wink:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:17 pm 
Cams + Headers

haha i forgot to mention I work at NAPA autoparts so I get a bit of a deal of stuff :P

I dont work for poorboytire but I usually go there because its A LOT cheaper than certiguard thats right near my house. Pretty decent guys, Chris is the guy with the Golf right? I believe its on air in the front too...nice car for sure and super cool guy.

If anyone has struts and trailing arms...i want them! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

if you convert to efi, let me know, I might be interested in your carb bits....

1979 Mercedes 300TD
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
1994 Honda Civic dx hatch
2015 Mazda CX-5
2020 Hyundai Elantra manual
1982 240 DL coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 am 
First volvo in outer space

Welcome to CVC. :D For $500 that's looking very nice already, like the classic wheel look. =D>

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 pm 

Just keep watching for parts...I gave away a set of struts in the winter to Jim. I don't have any 240 stuff other than an egg crate grill and a few other trim bits that are not unique. Oh, and welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:26 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Welcome to the club.
Looks like you have contracted the Volvo virus =D>
Keep us posted on you progress and ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 am 
Bone stock

Thats a bitchin 245! I really wanted to buy one of these, but I ended up getting a V70 Instead. Nice longboard BTW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:07 pm 
Cams + Headers

haha thanks, I live near Confederation Park and I ride that thing everyday if its not raining haha

well here is the last shoot i was able to do before the snow starts flying and the car gets torn apart and parts start to get blasted and painted.

Aaaand mountain cruiser for this winter. 84' Tercel 4wd wagon. 130 000 km's 5 spd, 30 mpg and $700, cant complain! Doesn't even burn or leak a drop of oil.

I plan on finding some cheap racing buckets :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:46 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Your Wagon is gorgeous - I love that color combo! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:07 pm 
Cams + Headers

thanks! I do what I can to keep her looking her best haha

also forgot to post this...Volvo factory gum dispenser. I discovered this while stuck in construction the other day and its why my cd deck is in the glove box :P

(wouldn't let me embed, click image for quick video)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hey, do you want a piece of gum? Here, it's in the radio!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next