Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pictures of my 'new' Volvo
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:06 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi - here are some shots taken at Bert n Jack's. Lots of dust on/in the car, but you can still see the shiny bits.

When I get it back it is headed to the upholstry shop, but I GET TO DRIVE IT THERE!!

Oh - only three pics allowed. More to follow.

James

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Pictures of my 'new' Volvo
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:15 pm 

Here are some more pics, but just a couple. I'll take some more later, but how do I get lots more into the posts?

Some of you have heard about this and that on the car, but here is a bit of a summary. It took HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS to get everything as right as I could get it. I did not do the body work, but stripped the car, then put it back together again with lots of new stuff, and lots of fixing of brakes, suspension and electrical along the way.

Progressive lowering-springs, and Bilstein shocks (which I am told might be a bit too stiff, we will see). Factory sway-bar, at this point. All new poly bushings.

The motor is a formerly-injected B20, D-cam, with bigger exhaust valves, bored, ported and shaved head, headers, and O/D. KD needles for the rebuilt carbs (in transit as we speak). I removed the entire rear suspension and axle, crossmember, sandblasted everything, then seam-sealed, zinc chromate primer, and truck-bed lining. I added the inner fender liners, which I wrote about on another thread the other day.

I changed the front grill - the only thing on the car that is different appearance-wise - you like? Oh, I had the licence plate bracket (?) chromed, removed the lettering from the hood, and there are no reflectors on the back now. Also chromed the door-sills.

I installed a kill-switch in the firewall where the coil usually goes, and mounted the coil on the wheel-well; the switch lever comes out just above the accelerator pedal, and can easily be operated by the toes in case of an electrical fire, and also as a theft-deterent.

I installed retractable seatbelts from a 240 this month.

All new rubbers and window felts. Same glass (with scratches - regrettfully), I don't think I'll tint it. Sound-dampening and upholstry is next. Seats are done, I just need the panels and floor done. I'm now planning on adding head-rests too apparently, it is no-problem; all of the seats have the inner mounts installed.

Oh, and I'm looking for a small roof rack that will mount on the roof (not on the rails).

The colour is a Volvo colour from 700-series cars, as I recall.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:29 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

To post more pictures, do not post them as attachments. Upload them to the gallery here or use Photobucket or some other. Posting a pictures is then as simple as copying the URL inside the "Img" code you get when you click the button . Photobucket actually makes it easier than that with a single click that will include the code.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:32 am 

While I think metallic paint on a 122 looks just wrong, I do like the colour and with the wheels, it all works out pretty well!

Nice job! Now a little dust removal and some miles under it's belt is what's needed.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 am 

At first I was wondering what the heck you were doing with the coil...then I noticed it on the fender! Nice kill switch. The rest looks great. Now drive it like you hate it.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:34 pm 
Whost Pore

beauty! =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:36 pm 

(It's about time I got some feedback)

About the metallic paint - I agree. I picked the colour off of a chip in the body shop, and was aghast when I saw the engine bay painted. &^$#@!! chips!! I was actually planning on having it two-tone on the trim line silver/blue, but the pearl was ummmm already two-tone, I guess, so I nixed the original idea. I think in the bright sun it will be too-much, but it is the opposite with the flat colours, IMHO.

Paul at Bert 'n Jack's said he would have it ready for me tomorrow, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm gonna be over the moon when I can finally drive it out of there!! I might even stop at the carwash on the way to Banff, or Red Deer, or ....

I'll post some more about the 123 tunable electronic ignition when it arrives. Of-course there is work too - I have been off for spring break-up for 2 months now, and when I go back to work, I won't be seeing Calgary too much until August.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:33 am 

You're plugging those injector holes right?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 am 

Better yet, sell me the injector holders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:42 pm 

You can have those injector holders, but then I'll need something-else to hold the nickles in. :D Come-up with another piece of metal x 4 and you can have them.

Paul at B & J says he is going to work all night if he has to, to so I can pick it up tomorrow. Then straight over to the upholsterer (De Greeve's) and off to PG for a deepish well, and some much-needed cash.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 am 

Hi - these are the first pictures of the car on the road. She does go pretty-good, but I have been working out of town almost steady since June 8th, so haven't got the 123Tune electronic ignition in yet. Thank-god for the overdrive - you almost need it in the city (note to self: check speedo).

As far as suspension goes, so-far I would say it doesn't need a sway bar. My memory of my last Volvo(s) were that the body rolled a lot more than this one does - yay!! Maybe the Bilsteins are that much better than KYB's.

It looks like the tranny needs some work - grinds going into 4th - and there are a few other details to take care-of. Like, that chrome needs to go back around the windsheild, the rear bumper isn't mounted properly, etc, etc....

I blocked-off around where the shifter comes out through the tunnel and that took-care of the fumes, but perchance, could there be a leak at the headers? Considering there is no interior, it is pretty quiet, but I shouldn't think the exhaust would come up under the car?

More to follow. Hoping for another day-off sometime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:16 am 

Missing one pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am 
First volvo in outer space

Lookin good!!! I like that color and the wire wheels, look forward to seeing it at a cruise etc.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 am 

such a sweet wagon...you live in parkdale! I lived on parkdale blvd/memorial when I was 2, my cousin lived on 35a then built 2 infills and moved across from me in sunnyside, and my aunt lives in st andrews, also where my mom rents out my grandmas old house.

Oh, and you are pretty much neighbours with another board member, roj, who also lives on 35a.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:12 am 
Whost Pore

bloody hell that one looks good!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next