Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Got my wheels!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:35 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Thanks to solyeahman (Sol), I got my 5 spokers delivered right to my door. Thanks again, Sol. Car sure looks great with them and the Grandson (15 yrs) couldn't wait to put them on which he did after I bought one replacement tire. He couldn't talk about anything else for weeks after he put them on and on our first ride (him driving of course), he was showing them off to everyone he knew. They came off Sol's 960 and are BBS 15" alloys with 195R60-15s. I'm hoping to up them to 205 or 215 later and fully summer tires. These are mixed with all season front and MS in back. Now just have to replace front brake pads, heater motor and wiring on alternator/generator. Rad flush and new anti-freeze, oil change and I'm ready for winter. Hope to also paint over de-rusted areas with stock or slightly off shade silver with some kind of pattern. along bottom and over wheel openings.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unvolvo is 1968 Austin Mini Estate (daughter claimed it, hasn't started it yet)

Last edited by kilopapa on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Got my wheels!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:51 pm 
Vmax 200mph w00t!

Looks great Keith!!

They definitely suit the car, glad you like them :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Got another tip, liquid shoe polish does a great job of restoring the color on leather seats, mine look pretty much like new now. I just have to condition them with mink oil then they should be great. I used Kiwi shoe polish and the next day I took a white cotton cloth and hard rubbed the seats with no color coming off onto the cloth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:10 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Sol, What year is the 960 that you took the wheels off, I'm getting a funny scrubbing bounce (not intense but worrisome) when I back up and turn sharply. Never did it with original 14"wheels and tires. I read that 95 and on 960's had an 18mm offset difference and was wondering if your car was 95 or newer that this could be the problem. Might just run it down to a wheel alignment shop just to make sure but any info you can give me would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Keith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:39 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Check under the centre cap or pop a wheel off and on the back of the wheel will be the size and et/offset

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:09 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I was pretty sure that those wheels came off a '92-'94, if I remember the pictures correctly. The '95+ has 850 struts but I don't know about the offset. In any case, the scrubbing noise you hear is either the tire hitting the inner fender with the wheel at full lock, or is just the result of stickier lower profile tires that are more sensitive to ackermann geometry: with 215-45 summers on 17s, my 240 wouldn't just scrub the tires at full lock going forwards, it would damn near hop off the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:57 am 
First volvo in outer space

Ugly Duck wrote:
I was pretty sure that those wheels came off a '92-'94, if I remember the pictures correctly. The '95+ has 850 struts but I don't know about the offset. In any case, the scrubbing noise you hear is either the tire hitting the inner fender with the wheel at full lock, or is just the result of stickier lower profile tires that are more sensitive to ackermann geometry: with 215-45 summers on 17s, my 240 wouldn't just scrub the tires at full lock going forwards, it would damn near hop off the ground.

Here's Sol's FS thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2822, looks like they were on a 92 940 so clearance on a 740 should be the same (although no mention of running spacers). I had a FWD offset rim on an 89 740 by mistake that was fine on the rear but scraped hard on the front caliper. If these are in fact FWD offset it will be a lot more than an occasional scrubbing noise you describe, what Matt is saying makes sense as I've even noticed a 195/15 scrub/hop a bit where a 185/14 doesn't. My old Dodge p/u (albeit 4x4 solid front end) with 265/70-16 tires "would" jump off the ground in tight parking turns. :lol:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:38 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Thanks Ugly Duck but the scrubbing is definitely from the tire on the road because it is worse when there is gravel or loose ice chunks under the tire. Could be the tires as you suggested but I'm going to take Swedishmeatball's advice and check back of cap or wheel for size and offset. It doesn't affect the driving because it only happens when doing a very sharp turn at low speeds that I notice it. Although yesterday I heard a snapping/cracking sound when I turned out of Wendy's lot but it could have been a rock kicked up and hitting the chassis cause I haven't heard it again. I still think I'd better get down to an alignment shop also just to check things out again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:19 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Finally got around to looking at the BBS wheels on my 740 and they are about 7mm out on the offset but an article I read on a wheel retail site said that you can go up to 1/2 in. difference in offset with no problems so 7mm is less than 1/4 in so I'm pretty sure I'm ok. I think the problem is wider tires and a really tight turning radius and it only does it in reverse so I'm sure I can learn to live with it. I was kicking around the idea of going to 205/55 x 15 tires for summer tho. I wonder if it would be advisable. I'm running 195/60 x 15 now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]