Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Racing Fun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:55 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftEYlrP4Q3w&sns=em

Post subject: Re: Racing Fun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:13 pm 

BWAHAHAHAH!! This is non-stop entertainment!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:41 pm 

https://youtu.be/UsjUk9VYY2A

https://youtu.be/vyvgherz7ig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:09 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Looks like you two had fun ! I am sorry I didn't make it, it would have been a blast.
We have an autocross at Castrol coming up on the 26th I am trying to make, hope I dont get shipped back to
Ft Mac :( how did the camber work out Craig ? I would have to say it was the single most important mod made to making the front tires last. I was lucky to get 3-4 events out of them before hand ( although the road course at Castrol is so smooth tires last forever ) I am curious how you feel the car setup is now that your front track is even wider than the rear....the rear is stock, right ? this must mean you are quite a bit narrower at the back ?
I have widened the rear track on mine by 64 mm and that has done wonders to lessen the back feeling squirmish in corners. Looks like you have a few flat spots to wear off on the tires too :) they sure drive like crap like this....which is why I have streets and race.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:38 am 

I know I had fun anyway. My car was a bit of a mess, and with it being my first time at an autox and my first time driving it in anger I had no idea what was going to happen. I learned a lot and figured out a thing or two to make the next experience more pleasurable. I won't be going hardcore (famous last words?) but I can see participating again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 am 

As I reflect on my runs - I like the way the car feels, but it's less communicative at the limit. Before, as you were madly understeering at least you knew what it was doing. Now, I'm closer to the edge (as was evidenced by my spin). So I've got to learn the car again. In my past events, I was hard on the brakes to load the front end to make it grip, now I don't have to do that - but with a whole 2 minutes of seat time, it's a puzzle that I've not sorted out.

I'm rubbing on my inner fender liners, so I'll have to get a set and mod them so they don't rub. Like melted plastic rubbing.

I really, really, really wanted to go again to sort out the three main higher speed corners. It's said that driving the course in your head is just about as good as doing it for real (this has been tested) - but if you're unsure of what the limits are, then it's all sort of useless.

I'm committed to doing both the practice and the event at Fort MacLeod in a couple of weeks. I'll take my inner fender liners off for that event.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Trouble with trying to brake to load the front and steer at the same time is asking much of the front tires, even more so on front drive when you trying to do 3 things at once. I totally agree on the seat time, an average autocross is 4 timed runs...maybe a total of 6 mins if lucky and one course walk ( or two if you are quick) and then the running order comes up and if you are in the second or third group (depending on the amount of drivers) it may be a couple of hours before you get to run. now you have to remember the course and how you set it up in your head from a walk that never seems long enough. so your first couple of runs are just learning again :( I really used to hate running on smaller lots where there were a million cones and directional's and you had to run some gates a couple of times (its really tough to drive that one in your head) and they all come up very quickly, its very easy to get lost never mind trying to set the car up for corner :). A nice course is where you can look two maybe three gates ahead and set up for those and let you peripherals take care of the one in front. autox is all about grip and carrying as much speed as possible at the limit. Which is why sometimes the under-powered cars are much better and easier to drive. I tend to overdrive mine way to much, which is evidenced by other more experienced people being able to kick my ass in my own car.
But is more fun, and if points were awarded for showmanship.....I can do quite well. the one and only event I tried this year after dumping my 28mm front bar in favor of the skinny stock one (18mm ?) and keeping my 25mm rear has it seems lessened my understeer even more and increased the steer by throttle aspect to where if I am ploughing this can be corrected with a bit more right welly.... the opposite of what seems to be the normal practise with the guys who run 240's say to do, but Hey, I try things.... this is a guy who if he remembers, check's his tire pressures before race day, and usually is the last one changing his tires over, so take it for what its worth :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:18 pm 
Cams + Headers

That was AWESOME! I'm out of town on holidays but I am really bummed that I missed that. One day I want to flog my car like that!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]