Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 ST
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Ugly Duck wrote:

Porterfield R-4S, street performance pad. They’re a carbon-kevlar instead of the factory semi-metallic. Not suitable for racing but low dust and very low rotor wear. Kind of pricey and I still haven’t confirmed fit OR feel,

I have those on the 544 - definitely won't be grabby- they didn't work well for a non boosted system. I had unknowns in there and made the mistake of throwing them away thinking the Porterfields would break in. Felt glazed or something from day one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:42 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

iadr wrote:
Ugly Duck wrote:
If Hyundai left the exterior alone in 2013 or if they had the current engine in the 2012, I'd have been more tempted. The R-spec was about $6500 less than my car

Yeah we heard that a lot (the 2013 restyle was a failure).

I'm surprised about the price, I had no idea that would be so. I do know it's remarkable how douchey the average buyer is though. Basically Hyundai (and their dealers) gave up on that market. How to you do 5y/100Km bumper to bumper when the cars are trashed? You do enough clutch drops off the revlimiter and you'll frag a flywheel in 3 digit km numbers. And who's fault is that?
We actively discouraged sales, selling our allotment to out of city customers or to other dealers.
And the new platform (guess it will be a 2016 coming out fall of 2015) is a 2dr of the new Sedan...so a very different target market.
The sedan has always been a completely separate, superior platform. Proper double a-arm, non strut front end, bigger diff, really nothing in common but the name.

Hope you are enjoying it. To me the lack of outward vision and build material quality means exactly zero vehicles on the market interest me. Still slowly collecting parts for the DIY project.

Interesting that the Genocide is going away from the "coupe" market. It's honestly a loss because I still think they're interesting. They hit all the right buttons - price, power, sportiness... And I think the stylists were right - the new version is now more attractive to me than the old version. The old one has a prettier front end but I have grown to like the new one.

Outward vision is a problem with everything, but you can't make a stiff, safe box with a bunch of giant holes in it, right? The A-pillars in my car get in my way: there's something about the angle and how they line up with the cross roads at an intersection, they seem to block out a lot of the line of sight along the direction of travel for the cars perpendicular to me. It's not that I'm not looking, but if you get into my A-pillar at the right time when we're both approaching an intersection, you'll stay there until we're both on top of each other. I don't think this is uncommon either, with the laid-back windshields of today.

iadr wrote:
Ugly Duck wrote:

Porterfield R-4S, street performance pad. They’re a carbon-kevlar instead of the factory semi-metallic. Not suitable for racing but low dust and very low rotor wear. Kind of pricey and I still haven’t confirmed fit OR feel,

I have those on the 544 - definitely won't be grabby- they didn't work well for a non boosted system. I had unknowns in there and made the mistake of throwing them away thinking the Porterfields would break in. Felt glazed or something from day one.

The ST is overboosted (I've pulled the hose from the vacuum pump and it's darn hard to get the car whoa'd up from even 25 kph without assist) but the R-4S has been a nice pad. The prototypes I got were junk, the backing plates didn't fit at all and they were so loose in the caliper that they shook like crazy under braking & deposited large hunks of pad that needed to be literally scraped off by me at home. Once the production backing plates came out they sent me a good set and those have been much better. They're less grabby than the stockers and WAY less dusty, though they do still dust. They haven't deposited unevenly or developed any pulsation at all, they're pretty forgiving. The pedal effort and pedal firmness seems to have improved as well. With all that said, I'm still not happy with the brake feel. I've bought a set of Wilwoods specifically for this car (caliper replacement only, uses the stock rotor) but haven't installed them because I need to wear out and replace my 16" winters with 17" wheels first. That, and I'm reallyreallyreally trying to keep this car from becoming a project for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:11 pm 

Well, I left Hyundai. So there's that.

On the wheels, yeah, your 2013 can do 16's- they changed in a non model year specific way so that 17's were the min. Almost got caught by that trying to help a former co-worker. Fortunately I check everything in TireRack. :lol: So, my point was, maybe you weren't the only one the was unhappy with the brakes...I doubt they changed them for no reason.

We got spoiled with 240's- not every platform gets it as right, brakes-wise...but yes, to be fair, cars are getting faster and heavier, by far.

The plan for the Sidekick is the Lexus IS250 front set up (ugly, heavy iron sliding caliper, blech) that comes on the spindles I'm swapping to and Audi A6 rear calipers (nicer aluminum, but still sliding) on special one year only MB 124 Wagon rear rotors. The proportion looks perfect- 60 front and 41 or 43 rear, can't remember which. Going to stay with the large diameter OE master, might even tick it up one 1/16". Should have time now to do that...!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 am 

iadr wrote:
Well, I left Hyundai. So there's that.

Do tell! Where are you now?

Quote:
On the wheels, yeah, your 2013 can do 16's- they changed in a non model year specific way so that 17's were the min. Almost got caught by that trying to help a former co-worker. Fortunately I check everything in TireRack. :lol: So, my point was, maybe you weren't the only one the was unhappy with the brakes...I doubt they changed them for no reason.

They put the Escape Titanium brakes on it. The rotors went from (I think) 12.3 to 12.6 and the pads went from semi-metallic to ceramic. They did it from the endless complaints about dust. Reports are that they're still powerful but a little less grabby, but some have said that they're not powerful enough and the earlier brakes work better. Mid 2014 change.

Quote:
We got spoiled with 240's- not every platform gets it as right, brakes-wise...but yes, to be fair, cars are getting faster and heavier, by far.

Nostalgia tempts me to believe you, but I remember a bit too much front brake bias in my cars without work. As far as nits to pick, that's a pretty small one considering the quality and expense of binders installed on those cars, and how shockingly bad by comparison most cars are.

Quote:
...The proportion looks perfect- 60 front and 41 or 43 rear, can't remember which. Going to stay with the large diameter OE master, might even tick it up one 1/16". Should have time now to do that...!

I sure hope you're talking in terms of millimeters and not percentages! And I guess that answers my question about where you're working now... :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:14 pm 

Yes, mm.
Typed out a bunch of Sidekick suspension stuff, which I will organize and start a thread on sometime. Saved what I had typed as an addition to my basic little *RTF file of pics, notes to myself, and links.

As for work, my choice- a dry eyed, but sudden decision- disillusioned with that particular dealership.
I've tentatively booked to start a similar job with a Mazda dealership in the new year (could start now, choose not to).

I think MotoIQ have an ST project car...? Seems to be a lot of enthusiast interest.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:02 pm 

Well the 2013 Focus ST is no longer. We traded it in on a new Escape for Roberta. The Focus had just crossed into the territory where I could get within about a grand from the dealer (after GST and turning in my extended warranty) as I could expect to get from Kijiji, without dealing with idiot tire kickers and test pilots. I'm working on something decidedly older for my summer entertainment it won't be as fast or handle as well, but it'll be much more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Do tell us Matt, what is it ?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 am 
First volvo in outer space

We've been car shopping for a newer car for Lisa for awhile now and the Escape came up as she had one as a fleet vehicle. She really liked it but i found the passenger seat so narrow that the outside bolster on the seat cushion was riding under my ass cheek. I know I could stand to lose a pound or too, but I'm not that big... Which engine did you get?

Also very curious to see what you have on your replacement list?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 am 

Wow dude! I'm kinda shocked the Focus is gone, but I totally get your reasoning for it. Summer ride should be fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 am 

Pretty sure continuing the 780 build is out, but I thought it was cool. :)

If I had to guess it'd be JDM sourced?. The cars Athal and Dale are sourcing are ridiculous bang for the buck - so it'd be hard not to be tempted at least.

After reading about the Focus RS I was even thinking of asking if it was on your radar prior to you posting this update - but any new car is a pile of money and a crappy investment.

Rabin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:33 pm 

We spent about as much on an Escape as you can. It's the Titanium, AWD, with the same engine as my Focus had, the 2.0 turbo. The only things we didn't spring for are the 19" wheels, roof cross bars, and the 3 stage paint. It's got some poop, but it's down on power (and up on weight and drag) from the ST. It's lots of car for the money, compared to a Toyota for instance, and way better financing (0% on top of all the money we knocked off).

The new car is not JDM. I will start a post about it when it's on the road. Suffice it to say that Dr. Pushrod has another patient.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:10 am 

I can hear the OR page. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:58 am 
First volvo in outer space

780 Turbo...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:15 pm 

Hahahaha

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 am 

woodenshoes wrote:
780 Turbo...

Unlikely...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-Other-/251 ... 3aa80016ff

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next