Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 1962 122s new to Calgary
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:39 pm 
Bone stock

The car is new to Calgary, not me :D

Ever since getting to drive around in my aunts 65 when I was 17 I've always wanted an Amazon. Finally got one a bit over a month ago from Nanaimo. Purchased from a very nice retired Swedish gentlemen (I know, perfect right). The car is apparently a Vancouver island car from day one. PO was the third owner. The odo says 68k but I'm not too optimistic about that not being 168k. Probably not more than that though by how good of shape things like the seatbelts are. The PO has owned it since 96 and welded in new floors, fenders and outriggers. Gas tank is new as well as most bushings, shocks, springs, rear brake slaves, clutch master/slave, brake lines, ball joints etc. lots of trim and other minutia needs attention and the interior needs a refresh. The paint is newer but needs some TLC, It's kind of a semigloss eggshell finish...

The engine was rebuilt by the PO and seems good as there are no bad noises and no smoke at all. Oil drained free of sparkly bits. Was running like a bag of crap though. Got the carbs set up properly and it's running much better. Still super rich though so I've got to get that figured out. I don't have a tach so I just set the static timing to 16 degrees, then tuned and balanced the carbs by ear.

Anyway, I joined the forum as it appears there are a few other Amazon owners in town and I would love to connect and pick your brains a bit on these cars! This is a bit of a dream come true for me so I'm really looking forward to getting my car perfected!

Now, for my next trick, I will attempt to post a couple pictures...

Imagei

Last edited by Maluaka on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1962 122s new to Calgary
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:33 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

That's a pretty sweet little ride, Dustin! Welcome! And yes, there do seem to be a pile of Amazons around these days. I'm looking forward to another in town next summer.

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:13 am 

Wow - that underside sure is spic and span. Welcome aboard - we do have some accumulated knowledge of the old iron!

Craig

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 am 
Bone stock

Thanks guys!

It's the opposite of most old cars, all of the parts of the car you can't see look great, it's the paint and interior that need some attention. Definitely not complaining!

It still doesn't have an out of province done as I'm waiting on a couple parts from Vintage import parts like a taillight lens and shifter boot. Should be here next week. The battery took a dump as well despite being two years old. I don't think it's the generator as the amp light only came on when I got the idle too low while tuning.

There's also a brake line that I don't like the looks of. The one going from the master enters the distribution block at an angle. I'd like to get that redone.

I set the valve lash to spec but the motor has a non catastrophic sounding tick I'd like to get someone who knows these engines to listen to. Can't put my finger on what it is. PO replaced the fiber timing gear so it's not that.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:04 am 

Well done! Looks like you're well on your way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:26 am 
Bone stock

Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck flattening the valve cover? Looks like someone went full gorilla on it at some point and it leaks pretty good out the back. Got a new gasket, just need to convince it that it isn't supposed to have a rocker.

I think I'm also looking at a transmission rebuild over the winter. Sounds like a dogtooth box in the first three gears, fourth is pretty quiet. Shifts beautifully though! Anybody know a local source for transmission bearings?

I've got lots more questions, but I'll try to refrain from being too irritating for now...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:18 pm 

A block of wood and a soft hammer should work out a bunch of issues, but I don't know how bad it is or how much time you want to spend on it. I'm sure you could find a replacement in better shape if you ask around, or if you wanted to do some dressup there are some fancy alloy aftermarket ones. I'm using IPD's neoprene valve cover gasket on my stock valve cover, works great, but it doesn't work so hot on another member's alloy cover.

As far as transmission bearings, try TSL (Transmission Supply Limited) on 42 Ave SE. You'll probably need to know what part numbers you'd like, so if you pull yours apart you should be able to get some numbers off the bearings. Is this an M40 or M41?

Have you met John Paulsen yet? He's not on the forum, I don't think, but he's one heck of a resource for parts. He's "the guy in Springbank". I can bring you out there one day if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:51 pm 
Bone stock

Ugly Duck wrote:
A block of wood and a soft hammer should work out a bunch of issues, but I don't know how bad it is or how much time you want to spend on it. I'm sure you could find a replacement in better shape if you ask around, or if you wanted to do some dressup there are some fancy alloy aftermarket ones. I'm using IPD's neoprene valve cover gasket on my stock valve cover, works great, but it doesn't work so hot on another member's alloy cover.

As far as transmission bearings, try TSL (Transmission Supply Limited) on 42 Ave SE. You'll probably need to know what part numbers you'd like, so if you pull yours apart you should be able to get some numbers off the bearings. Is this an M40 or M41?

Have you met John Paulsen yet? He's not on the forum, I don't think, but he's one heck of a resource for parts. He's "the guy in Springbank". I can bring you out there one day if you like.

Yeah, that was the plan with the valve cover. Its in great shape, someone just overtightened it at some point so the screw holes have become considerably lower than either end. The cork gaskets I got from Olof at VIP are really thick so that should help.

I plan to tear into the transmission over the winter. It's an M40. The PO swapped in another transmission at some point as he said the OG one was grinding going into 4th. He gave me the OG trans along with the car (that is one small transmission!). I'll pull the one currently fitted and see which one is a better candidate for a rebuild. I'm leaning towards the one currently fitted as it shifts like a dream. Super slick but also very positive into each gear. I should probably swap in the bottle of Redline MTL90 I have laying around before condemning it all together. I would absolutely love to get my hands on an M41 if the price is doable as this car is a bit... "cacophonous" at highway speeds.

I haven't met anybody from the Volvo community yet but I live in Rocky Ridge so Springbank is right next door! It would be great to have a local resource for parts! Like I said, the car needs lot's of little things.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you folks, checking out your cars and gleaning some of that Volvo knowledge!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:15 pm 

That is far too common with the valve covers. I straightened mine out well enough before I painted it, and to make sure it didn't happen again I got me some of these from Mopac:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:32 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Hey Dustin, welcome to CVC. Looks like a very nice starting point.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:58 pm 

Rocker ticking is normally related to the fact that the valve stem is smaller than the tip of the lifter and it wears a grove. Then when you're measuring the clearance, you put the feeler gauge under (I usually go 16 thou - which isn't the book value, but that's just me...I've build a few) it bridges the gap and you end up with rather a lot more clearance than intended. So I've ground the tip of my 16 and 18 feeler gauge down to the size of the valve stem and I've refinished many, many rockers to remove this wear.

I thought I had some pictures of this...but I don't, so here's a shot of one of my engines just to show off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:05 pm 
Bone stock

122_Canuck wrote:
Rocker ticking is normally related to the fact that the valve stem is smaller than the tip of the lifter and it wears a grove. Then when you're measuring the clearance, you put the feeler gauge under (I usually go 16 thou - which isn't the book value, but that's just me...I've build a few) it bridges the gap and you end up with rather a lot more clearance than intended. So I've ground the tip of my 16 and 18 feeler gauge down to the size of the valve stem and I've refinished many, many rockers to remove this wear.

I thought I had some pictures of this...but I don't, so here's a shot of one of my engines just to show off.

Oooo purdy! Almost needs a NSFW tag :wink:

While the groove thing does make sense, and I'll have a look for it, the PO said he rebuilt the engine and the valve train looks like it was at the very least disassembled and cleaned. I would hope that all the components would have gotten a visual inspection and the wear addressed. But hey, short of doing it yourself, who knows what people catch and don't catch.

Here's the top end:

Also, it doesn't get any louder with the oil filler cap off. All you hear with the cap off is all the valves happily purring away. It isn't rod knock or piston slap and definitely isn't big end. There's a youtube vid I found the other day that sounds like it. I'll see if I can find it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:21 pm 
Bone stock

Found it. Although mine sounds less tappety but still with the tick tick tick in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Q7Mc5gUMA

Had a HD diesel mechanic at work listen to the car in person. He grew up in the UK an has worked on many pushrod 4 cyl engines over the years. He thought it sounded fine. Just bugs my anal retentive nature when it comes to mechanical things. I don't think it should make the noise. I dumped whatever was in the crankcase and filled it with Rotella T6 5-40. Definitely quieted things down a fair bit. Tick still there though. Doesn't matter if its under load, cold, hot etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:30 pm 

PM'd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:14 pm 
Bone stock

Well, I put on my thinking trousers this evening and carefully ground a cotter pin down to 0.018 verified against a feeler gauge with digital calipers. I rechecked all the clearances with my regular feeler gauge to 0.016 and verified that there were no grooves by the fact that the cotter pin feeler wouldn't go in.

Rules that out anyway.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next