Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Daily Driving a Turbo Brick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:15 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Picked up a daily driver last night. Had to get it towed home because registry was closed and I didn't have an extra plate.

Some fun bits:

1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon
Blue
5 seats (6 and 7 are missing)
BOV
RWD

Wagon

Did I mention it was a wagon?

Sr. Flipstah waiting in the back, looking at me as if I was a tool.

Will I regret buying this land yacht? Maybe. Maybe not.

Who knows? Time to do the basic maintenance and be ski-hill ready.
:bigpimp:

Let the games begin! :drama: :rofl:

Don

Post subject: Re: Daily Driving a Turbo Brick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:15 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Maintenance day today! Went to my local Auto Value to gather some items:

Oil + oil filter
Headlight bulb
Rear wiper
Spark plugs
Engine degreaser

Following recommended weight as upkeep is what keeps the world go round!

,Image

Head gasket needs work and the last oil was very thin. No way this was a month old oil.

Degreaser doing wonders.

Fluid top up:

Unplugged the battery and the engine light went away. Yay! Went for a test run and things went well!

Tomorrow will be interior work and cleaning while ATF and brake fluid flush will be next week!

Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:16 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Did some interior work today. Sort of.

Tried to sew a rip, but my needle broke.

So I changed the stereo instead.

So there's a leak in the car and while investigating, found a weird tube that didn't belong...

You can see how it's an afterthought, touching hardlines

Where did it lead?!

Some fool rigged a POS catch can/blow-by.

FML.

Not really sure how to fix this...

Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:17 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Completed partial maintenance weekend and this car is a riot to learn stuff on.

- ATF is fine, clean, plentiful and similar situation with the brake fluid. No changes.
- Power steering fluid was brown and murky, so switched it up to the Volvo green splooge.
- Belts looked fine with no cracks
- Brakes are still thick
- Finding the oil trickle is tricky. Still haven't found it,

Checked around the turbo, which meant removing piping around the air filter. Good thing I did, because the air filter is nasty.

Cleaned the baby turbo with some Spray Nine and a toothbrush. Lots of accumulation. There's also an open nipple that I have no idea where it leads to. Looks like a valve for the wastegate?

While searching for that elusive oil leak, I thought there was an open valve for the PCV. Turns out it was a coolant plug. FML.

Screwed it back in, refilled the coolant and cleaned the garage floor. While that dried up, I detailed the car and refreshed the grille! So many rock chips. Not anymore.

I found a HBC boost controller in my glove compartment, except I've never used one. Is it necessary?

Went to Edmonton from Calgary a couple of weekends ago with the Brick. Ran fine and mileage was decent with half tank usage.

10L/100kms on highway. Pretty decent.

Catch can picked up maybe 400ml from this trip. Empty and GTFO.

So the leak is on the bell housing, and I have a scheduled appointment with Valentine Volvo to get a formal diagnosis and repair scheduled in.

Meanwhile, I did this:

Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:47 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

You're going to the dealer for basic diagnosis and repairs? Rich man! Plus most dealers don't know what they're looking at on these old cars, unless you get jordan in Edmonton.

Leak is likely the distributor seal at the back of the head. Easy fix and get a new $$ cap and rotor while it's off.

Hate to say but thin oil is most likely worn valve guides allowing combustion gasses into the oil. Only a head rebuild will do. On the up side, it's a good chance to replace what is likely the original head gasket.

Cool car though, uncommon color. The 91 should have a lock up torque converter and return 8-9L/100 if everything else is working properly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:51 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

swedishmeatball wrote:
You're going to the dealer for basic diagnosis and repairs? Rich man! Plus most dealers don't know what they're looking at on these old cars, unless you get jordan in Edmonton.

Leak is likely the distributor seal at the back of the head. Easy fix and get a new $$ cap and rotor while it's off.

Hate to say but thin oil is most likely worn valve guides allowing combustion gasses into the oil. Only a head rebuild will do. On the up side, it's a good chance to replace what is likely the original head gasket.

Cool car though, uncommon color. The 91 should have a lock up torque converter and return 8-9L/100 if everything else is working properly.

Normally I do the repairs myself for the basics, but if it's the bell housing then I won't have the tools and the space to do something this drastic. I'd rather go to Mr. Volvo but they only have weekdays and need a ride to work.

I thickened the oil to T6 5W40 and it seemed to have calmed things down. Especially it ate through the 5W30 so quickly lol.

EDIT: Mr. Volvo can do overnight drop-off! YAS

Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:19 pm 

Unless things have changed in the last ten years, no one on this board would recommend mister volvo...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:44 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Weird. People told me Valentine Volvo was a rip... Now, Mr. Volvo.

Sigh.

Don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:52 am 

flipstah wrote:
Cleaned the baby turbo with some Spray Nine and a toothbrush. Lots of accumulation. There's also an open nipple that I have no idea where it leads to. Looks like a valve for the wastegate?

That is your compressor bypass valve, hose likely removed because there's a blow off valve added. Personally I would junk the BOV and hook the CBV back up, and I'm sure you've heard all the arguments for/against a BOV on a MAF car but the fact is that CBV needs to see boost in the diaphragm to keep it properly closed. It's pretty likely that you're leaking boost around the CBV right now. The correct way to add a BOV to this car is to purchase a CBV delete plug that is correct for your turbo (one size does not fit all).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58 am 

flipstah wrote:
Weird. People told me Valentine Volvo was a rip... Now, Mr. Volvo.

Sigh.

Valentine is fine if you're under warranty, but they're not interested in (or really equipped for) these old things. Mr. Volvo IS a rip, so are Swany. There really isn't a good Volvo-specific shop in town, but there are guys who work on them if you ask around. If your leak really is the rear main seal any competent shop can do it, pick one that is close to you and that doesn't charge $150/hour.

As was said though, the distributor and the valve cover gasket around the distributor are very well known for leaks, and they run down the back of the block & ooze into/around the bellhousing which could be fooling you. Check those very well before paying someone to drop the transmission.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:08 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

In this case, I'll hold off going to Mr. Volvo for now and look for leaks again.

As for the CBV, where would that hose go if I dump the BOV? I'll need PCV breather box as well, because the previous owner just shoved a Home Depot catch can setup.

Don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:30 am 
First volvo in outer space

I would get a new PCV breather box and pipe it back the way it was meant to run. If you are seeing that much blowby then stick a catch can in till you can address the engine. Make sure you get the OEM box, many stories of the craptermarket ones leaking at the middle seam in the body, pretty sure FCP has the OEM's for not much more than the knock offs.

Would also agree that 8-9 l/100km is what you should be seeing on the highway, 10 is really not very good.

At 346K would also second the likely need for some head work, you mentioned the headgasket but the picture with the goobered RTV is the valve cover. Still, looks like father time combined with some suspect handywork by the PO means you have a few things to do, it's a turbo car so the headgasket/head are ripe. Also thinking that the original breather box is plugged so likely causing some of your oil leak(s). I would pull the MAF and clean it too, probably pretty oily. It's your money but I wouldn't bother buying Volvo fluids like the power steering fluid you pictured, they work fine with any quality fluid from crappy tire etc.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:12 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

woodenshoes wrote:
I would get a new PCV breather box and pipe it back the way it was meant to run. If you are seeing that much blowby then stick a catch can in till you can address the engine. Make sure you get the OEM box, many stories of the craptermarket ones leaking at the middle seam in the body, pretty sure FCP has the OEM's for not much more than the knock offs.

Would also agree that 8-9 l/100km is what you should be seeing on the highway, 10 is really not very good.

At 346K would also second the likely need for some head work, you mentioned the headgasket but the picture with the goobered RTV is the valve cover. Still, looks like father time combined with some suspect handywork by the PO means you have a few things to do, it's a turbo car so the headgasket/head are ripe. Also thinking that the original breather box is plugged so likely causing some of your oil leak(s). I would pull the MAF and clean it too, probably pretty oily. It's your money but I wouldn't bother buying Volvo fluids like the power steering fluid you pictured, they work fine with any quality fluid from crappy tire etc.

Awesome info. Appreciate it.

- I'm going to order at FCP for the original PCV breather box and a rear tail light assembly
- I was going pretty fast, so that could be the discrepancy but it puked oil in the DIY catch can setup (about half a litre for 350km of highway driving)
- There is no original breather box so it needs one, for sure
- The MAF is clean when I changed the air filter
- The power steering fluid is extra from my parent's XC90. My dad is an OEM stickler so he had extra ones for me to use
- Yeah, have to change the valve cover gasket for sure and I'm learning a lot from this vehicle. Mostly what NOT to do. Once I have the OEM parts, then I'll take off the BOV.

Don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am 

Sort out the breather system before doing anything else or you will keep pushing seals out, and the next one could be the rear main if you seal up the valve cover.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:14 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Got quoted a fair quote from Valentine Volvo for the breather box + associated hoses and fittings vs. FCP. Will be ordering. Stay tuned.

Don

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next