Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: 240 Alternator struggles
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:07 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Subject is an 89 240 running the OG alternator. Appeared to be slowly failing as the dash lights were only coming on at idle and the battery was still getting charged. Installed a reman unit I picked up at AV and started an impressive smoke show when I touched the ground cable on the battery. Unfortunately it slipped over the post so the smoke continued till I could find some insulated pliers to pull it off. Pulled everything off and found the ground wire disintegrated, checked the rest of the wiring and all looked fine and was installed as previously. Had another reman that fit so installed that along with a new ground wire I had kicking around.

Made the final battery connection without incident and fired up the engine, all the dash lights are on and the alternator is putting out nothing. I have 12v at the main terminal, a test light grounded at the neg post on the battery lights up at the main post and not on the alt case so the ground looks ok. I don't have any voltage at the exciter wire with it disconnected and the key on, but the alt light on the dash is lit up so it has power. Only thing I haven't done is a continuity check on the exciter wire, does it make sense that I have a break between the dash light and the end of the wire or I am looking for something else?? First time I have had to do this as previous swaps just worked...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: 240 Alternator struggles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:19 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Yes, you may have fried the exciter wire. The dash light will still light up but the alternator won't get a signal to fire up. It MAY self-excite but probably not. Try jumpering the exciter wire to 12v to see if you've killed the alternator or if the light on the dash goes out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:02 am 

Thanks Matt, I had read about jumping the exciter wire with 12v but hadn't done that yet. I was hoping that fully charging the battery overnight might entice self excitation but no luck. I took the first alternator back to AV for testing and it was predictably dead. The one on the car now is a another new reman so it should be ok, but I'll dig further in to the exciter wire.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:54 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Replace the brush/regulator on the OG. Almost always works better than a reman...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:26 pm 

I agree Athal, I thought of doing that as the brushes were worn and it likely would have been enough to get going again. I decided while it was off to take it in to the local electric rebuilding shop as it's the OG alternator so 27 YO. I figured why not refresh a good used Bosch over a ChinMex reman. I had a new reman here so decided to throw it on and wait to get the Bosch rebuilt, I'm thinking my ground wire was bad which started all of the fun I've been having with wiring.

I've since gone out and checked for current on the exciter wire and there's nothing there. Just to get the car back on the road (and to confirm if the second alt is working) I strung a wire off the 12v on the wiper motor to the exciter lead and it's now charging. So I obviously have a bad exciter wire to replace, any suggestions on doing that?? Looked at the harness and it doesn't look like much fun pulling that apart for one wire. Can I pull the lead off the alt bulb at the cluster and pull it backwards towards the alternator with a new wire in tow??

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]