Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: electrical mishap
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:20 pm 
I like cake

Hey all! I am Nick, new user here.
Owner and sometimes driver of a '74 Volvo 145, my first project car. I've had it about two years (sitting) and just got him running before this winter.

Regretfully ran into some trouble today and looking for some insight.
Took the car out a couple days ago after uncovering it from the winter, and all was working well.
Started the car today, and while warming it up noticed the coolant was low so I topped it off. As I was removing the funnel I 'flung' it to remove any excess coolant, and it must've been two maybe three drops flew in the direction of the engine bay (battery side). There was a *hissssssss* and the engine stopped abruptly. Battery seems fine it is reading 13V? I dried up and wiped all the terminals and connections ( not plugs or coil yet). When I turn the the key none of the dash lights come on (parking brake, oil, amp).

Stuck and feeling like an idiot, any ideas will help!

Post subject: Re: electrical mishap
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

My guess: clean your battery terminals. Nothing happened as a result of the coolant drops.

Tuen on the headlights to provide a load and check the voltage from battery post to battery post, then check the voltage at the positive post and negative clamp, positive post and body, negative post and positive clamp, negative post and positive stud on the alternator, negative post and fuse panel... basically you're working your way out from the battery along the cables to the main earth and fuse box in steps - where you see the voltage drop suddenly would be your problem. It's still my guess that it's the battery posts and clamps - oxidization there is common after the car sits for some time.

Post subject: Re: electrical mishap
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:09 am 
I like cake

Yeah you’re right! Just follow the current til i run into something. Thank you for the insight ! My terminal connections are also pretty jenky. Once this is fixed I should replace em. I’ll post an update later today hopefully it goes well [-o<

Cheers, thanks UD!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]